Discussion topic: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch & Technical Enquiries

This message was authored by mummyjo1 This message was authored by: mummyjo1

Re: Sky Live loading.

@morsey247 They have asked if I had an error code when the message came up, which I didn't, then they have asked me to do the following:

First things first, can you reset your hub for me, by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds. Before you do that, make sure that both Glass and Sky Live are completely disconnected. (So, remove both the HMDI and the USBC cable) then allow the internet to return, then Glass first, and Live for last.

I've now done that, so I'm waiting for a reply.

This message was authored by Manman This message was authored by: Manman

Can you call a portal device from sky live?

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Can you call a portal device from sky live?

@Manman wrote:

No. Zoom is the only video chat application on Sky Live. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@Manman wrote:

Zoom is apparently available as an app on Portal, though.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360050641991-Zoom-on-Facebook-Portal- 

Edit: at least for as long as Facebook/Meta keeps the Portal app store going or Zoom pulls support, I guuess.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@Manman wrote:

Zoom is apparently available as an app on Portal, though.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360050641991-Zoom-on-Facebook-Portal- 

Oooh, good find. TBH I had no idea what a Portal device even was until I Googled it ten minutes ago! 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SlenderRobert wrote:

TBH I had no idea what a Portal device even was until I Googled it ten minutes ago! 

To be fair, it almost isn't a thing any more (which is a shame, because it's quite nice kit)

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/meta-portal-consumer-video-calling-phased-out 

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@SlenderRobert wrote:

TBH I had no idea what a Portal device even was until I Googled it ten minutes ago! 

To be fair, it almost isn't a thing any more (which is a shame, because it's quite nice kit)

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/meta-portal-consumer-video-calling-phased-out 

Much like Sky Live in about a year's time no doubt... 😙

@Manman 

So in theory if you install Zoom on the Portal (as described here) then it should be possible to interact with a Zoom session on Sky Glass / Live

Some previous posts have suggested it's best to populate Contacts through Zoom on a computer though, then sign into the same account on either the Portal or Glass end.

This message was authored by Manman This message was authored by: Manman

Lol I've used a portal for a few years to call my Mum daily - don't want to change 2 devises but we be great to call hers from my sky tv

@Manman wrote:

Lol I've used a portal for a few years to call my Mum daily - don't want to change 2 devises but we be great to call hers from my sky tv

That's an excellent use of such a device, I hope it works for you - you're a much better son that I am to my mum... who is only just about capable of turning a TV on, never mind using any form of video chat. 

This message was authored by PR81 This message was authored by: PR81

Sky Live Cost?

Sky Live for a New Customer of Sky Stream / Glass is cheaper that an existing customer of Sky Glass / Stream - why?... when I looked it's £3 vs £5 🤷🏼‍♂️

Re: Sky Live Cost?

@PR81 wrote:

Sky Live for a New Customer of Sky Stream / Glass is cheaper that an existing customer of Sky Glass / Stream - why?... when I looked it's £3 vs £5 🤷🏼‍♂️

No idea why, but the fact that if you're an existing Glass customer they're charging nearly £100 more for the thing - it would seem like a rip off to me. It's just the latest example of a type of incentive to get new customers on board, the equivalent of the £100 prepaid Mastercard we've seen a couple of times since Glass launched. 

BTW you can't actually buy Sky Live for Stream as it's only compatible with Glass TV's. 

This message was authored by Mondo29 This message was authored by: Mondo29

Sharing Zoom content on Sky Live

I recently purchased Sky Live and so far its living up to expectations. However, I am a prolific Zoom user and the app on Sky live works perfectly (in bright conditions) apart from the 'SHARE CONTENT" option. Clicking share screen brings up various options for connecting your phone using screen mirroring on my iPhone, unfortunately when activating screen mirroring connecting to Sky Glass is not showing. 

any thoughts?

Re: Sharing Zoom content on Sky Live

@Mondo29 wrote:

I recently purchased Sky Live and so far its living up to expectations. However, I am a prolific Zoom user and the app on Sky live works perfectly (in bright conditions) apart from the 'SHARE CONTENT" option. Clicking share screen brings up various options for connecting your phone using screen mirroring on my iPhone, unfortunately when activating screen mirroring connecting to Sky Glass is not showing. 

any thoughts?

You cannot mirror a mobile device with a Glass TV. Zoom on Sky Live should be seen as a basic video chat facility and nothing more. 

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Re: Sky Live loading.

Posted by a Sky employee

Update-We are closing this session now but if there is anything else in the future we can help you with, do not hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion