Discussion topic: Simple Menu for Dementia

This message was authored by Spb This message was authored by: Spb

Re: Simple Menu for Dementia

@NuttyNightBird , I hope you find something more practical for your mother

it's frustrating I can imagine and must cause you stress and worry! 
sorry I don't have an answer!

p.s I love the name by the way! nutty night bird haha what are you an owl ? Cuckoooo

This message was authored by collinb This message was authored by: collinb

Sorry my post was perhaps misleading. I set up my favourite channels.  The channel numbers correspond to the numbers on the keypad. Now I don't need to use the sky menus simply press the button on the keypad for a channel. Press sky to access recordings. 

This message was authored by paul313131 This message was authored by: paul313131

I don't think Sky are bothered about this. I have been seaching these forums for this kind of help for a disabled father and it looks like people having been asking Sky,for years, to help. Lots of people over the years have asked for the simple remote but Sky's idea of a disabled/elderly remote is just the old Sky remote with a bit of rubber around it. Sky have even gotten rid of some remotes that were made to make things easier e.g. remote with handle on.

My dad had a massive stroke, which has left him unable to read and write or speak. He can only use one hand. I have been trying everything so he can change channels when he wants, rather than the nursing home staff. I tried the flipper and other remotes . The flipper would be perfect except you have to wait before pressing the up down buttons again. He can't do this. I just need a remote that + - channel works as soon as you press it. Can't seem to even find this.  

This message was authored by nufc+fan This message was authored by: nufc+fan

The easiest thing we found with the PIN is change it to '9999'. 

My MIL frequently gets stuck on channels where she requires a subscription and changing to a specific channel number, like 101 doesn't change channels. 

Describing channel up/down is tortuous.

We use an Amazon Echo show so we can see what she's doing on days we're not there.  Unfortunately she can't resist pressing buttons other than the ones you ask and it can take 20 minutes to get her onto a channel she likes.  These days she watches (intentionally) BBC1 and Sky Sports News.  We have to tell her when there's live football/tennis she likes, but a lot of the time, she'll put it back on 409 without even remembering what she was watching.  I can turn off her TV remotely using amazon, but can't change sky channels for her when she's stuck and getting frustrated.

This message was authored by collinb This message was authored by: collinb

Looking back at this thread I see some confusion over the 'favourite' list.

Once it is set up then the buttons on the remote correspond to the numbers on the list. Button 1 on my remote is BBC1  etc

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion