Discussion topic: how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

This message was authored by seeker+of+lost This message was authored by: seeker+of+lost

how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

Just upgraded from Sky+ to Sky Glass. I used to have access to "Talking Pictures TV", a freeview channel featuring old movies TV shows etc. of which I am a big fan. No sign of it on my Sky Glass TV guide. TPTV website says they ARE available on Sky platform channel 328.However Sky Help tells me "not currently available on Sky".  Why? How can I get access to it via my Sky Glass TV?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@seeker+of+lost 

Simplest way to add Freeview capability to a Glass television is with an external Freeview receiver over HDMI.  While Glass TVs do have a Freeview tuner, it's not available when the network connection is active.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Re: how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

Hi @seeker+of+lost 

Unfortunately the channel isn't available on Sky Glass / Stream.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@seeker+of+lostUnfortunately both "Talking pictures" and the "Great" set of channels are not available on Glass/stream. Together with loads of others, Glass / stream has many less channels than +HD/Q.

This message was authored by karl+mufc This message was authored by: karl+mufc

I bought and old sky hd box that is connected to my dish and use that to watch talking pictures. And other channels unavailable on glass.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@karl+mufcUnfortunately if you are coming from Q that will only work if you have one of the rare "smart Hybrid" LNBs where the outputs will work with both +HD and Q.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@seeker+of+lost 

Simplest way to add Freeview capability to a Glass television is with an external Freeview receiver over HDMI.  While Glass TVs do have a Freeview tuner, it's not available when the network connection is active.

seeker+of+lost
Topic Author
This message was authored by seeker+of+lost This message was authored by: seeker+of+lost

Thanks everyone else is telling me it just can't be done. Might try a Freeview box. Why do Sky offer certain channels on some platforms but not others? Is it technical or just plain cruel?!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@seeker+of+lost wrote:

Why do Sky offer certain channels on some platforms but not others? Is it technical or just plain cruel?!

Sky cannot insist that every channel owner puts the technical and administrative provision for deployment on Glass/Stream in place or expect them to absorb the associated cost.  At the moment there are about half the total number of channels compared to the satellite EPG, although most of the absent ones have extremely small audiences.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@seeker+of+lost wrote:

Thanks everyone else is telling me it just can't be done. Might try a Freeview box. Why do Sky offer certain channels on some platforms but not others? Is it technical or just plain cruel?!

@seeker+of+lost  it's up to the relevant broadcaster as to whether that want to fork out the significant costs to be on the glass platform plus meet the skys minimum requirements

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
seeker+of+lost
Topic Author

Noted. And yet on TPTV's own website they explicitly state they are "available on Sky channel 328" Words and figures?Or simply not up to date?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@seeker+of+lost wrote:

Noted. And yet on TPTV's own website they explicitly state they are "available on Sky channel 328" Words and figures?Or simply not up to date?

That is correct for Satellite, not Glass, so yes they do need to uodate their info to make it clear.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@seeker+of+lost  They are indeed available on 328 for customers with Sky + or Q but not glass for the reasons given  , so the website is slightly out of date 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Make sure you research your freeview boxes - I found some of them offer a lot more channels with a combination of freeview and streamed channels 

I have a netgem 4K box which carries the standard freeview channels over the aerial and a gazillion other channels over the internet 

most of them I'll never watch ........

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by gmhaggis This message was authored by: gmhaggis

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@seeker+of+lost wrote:

@seeker+of+lost  it's up to the relevant broadcaster as to whether that want to fork out the significant costs to be on the glass platform plus meet the skys minimum requirements

This is not correct (at least from my understanding). Sky Stream is not a Freeview device (and no where in its blurb does it saythat it is, only that it includes Freeview content - quite different)  Sky is basically cherry picking the channels that wants, or as you say, the channels that are paying to be included.  If Stream was a licensed Freeview device it would get the lot.  

This message was authored by karl+mufc This message was authored by: karl+mufc

No idea about the LNB.

I just used the existing cables that were from my old Q box and dish to a second hand sky hd box and used that as free view  to watch TPTV on my glass tv.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion