Discussion topic: how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@karl+mufc 

Unfortunately that won't work for most ex-Q users, because a Sky+ HD box cannot get a satellite signal through the standard Q LNB.  Also it's Freesat that way rather than Freeview.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: how do I get access to freeview Talking Pictures TV channel on my Sky Glass TV guide?

@gmhaggis wrote:
Sky Stream is not a Freeview device (and no where in its blurb does it saythat it is, only that it includes Freeview content - quite different)
OK: some confusion there.  A Glass television set has a digital terrestrial television tuner included in its hardware specification, but this is only active when there's no network connection available: it's effectively a fallback for loss of broadband.  That's a different issue to the availablity of 'free to air' content in the Glass EPG.
  Sky is basically cherry picking the channels that wants, or as you say, the channels that are paying to be included. 
Not really, but pushing content into the Glass distribution system has other costs to a channel, which the channel owner may well not wish to fund
If Stream was a licensed Freeview device it would get the lot.  
Freeview Play, possibly, but Glass was never going to mix broadcast Freeview into its EPG.

This message was authored by gmhaggis This message was authored by: gmhaggis

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@gmhaggis wrote:
Sky Stream is not a Freeview device (and no where in its blurb does it saythat it is, only that it includes Freeview content - quite different)
OK: some confusion there.  A Glass television set has a digital terrestrial television tuner included in its hardware specification, but this is only active when there's no network connection available: it's effectively a fallback for loss of broadband.  That's a different issue to the availablity of 'free to air' content in the Glass EPG.
I was was talking about Sky Stream, not Glass. But, as far as the EPG/OS go, I assume they are pretty much the same.  Anyway, seeing as you mentioned it, unlike Glass, Stream has no backup when its live TV streams fail (as they have been recentgly) .  The Stream box does include a coax ariel coble connector which is deactivated in the UK version.  I guess Sky could make us of this, as they do in other countries.
  Sky is basically cherry picking the channels that wants, or as you say, the channels that are paying to be included. 
Not really, but pushing content into the Glass distribution system has other costs to a channel, which the channel owner may well not wish to fund
If Stream was a licensed Freeview device it would get the lot.  
Freeview Play, possibly, but Glass was never going to mix broadcast Freeview into its EPG.
Why not?  Others do.  Take BT TV.  Their EPG integrates both Freeview and subscription content.  With no internet connection, the Freeview content is still available (although making use of the connected ariel),  Also, without a BT subscription, the box is still useable with Freeview content and the free apps.  As far as I understand,  Sky Stream is basically a brick without a subscription - even for those who own their box

seeker+of+lost
Topic Author
This message was authored by seeker+of+lost This message was authored by: seeker+of+lost

TimmyBGood thanks I am looking into Freeview boxes, none say specifically that they will work with Sky Glass and Sky appear to be adamant that Glass will not work with anything it doesn't work with! I have come across references to accessing Freeview by plugging an old terrestrial aerial into the Sky Glass box - do you know anything about this? Also what do you mean by "Glass TVs have a freeview tuner but not available when network is active".  Does that mean if I simply plug in an aerial and disable the WiFi I will nail it?

@gmhaggis 

The DTTV tuner in Stream pucks is there because it's a regulatory requirement for set top boxes in Italy (for example) and means Sky Italia can use the same hardware there.

I'd suggest BT TV chooses to integrate Freeview primarily because they have access to significantly fewer IP channels than Sky.

@seeker+of+lost 

An external Freeview box is just an HDMI input device to Glass: it doesn't 'work with it', just displays on it, in the same way as an optical disk player, games console or computer will.

Glass itself has a built-in DTTV tuner and Freeview EPG, but you need to switch off network access (WiFi and ethernet) to get this option to appear: it's not really intended for regular use

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@seeker+of+lost wrote:

TimmyBGood thanks I am looking into Freeview boxes, none say specifically that they will work with Sky Glass and Sky appear to be adamant that Glass will not work with anything it doesn't work with! I have come across references to accessing Freeview by plugging an old terrestrial aerial into the Sky Glass box - do you know anything about this? Also what do you mean by "Glass TVs have a freeview tuner but not available when network is active".  Does that mean if I simply plug in an aerial and disable the WiFi I will nail it?

Any FREEVIEW box will work with Glass as will any FREESAT box however if you use freesat if you have previously had Q then only the 4K freesat boxes will work unless you change the LNB in the dish, if you had +HD any freesat box will work.

Glass has a terestrial tuner (freeview) which will work if you disconect the glass from WiFi but then it does not work as a fully functional smart TV.

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@TimmyBGood 

Sky HD box or Sky + Box without a Sky Subscription can be used  as a  Free to Air Satellite Box to access free to air  channels.

That's not FreeSat

Sky HD or Sky HD+  Box

They are not  FreeSat Boxes that's a different platform to Free to Air Satellite 

FreeSat have their own choice of channels and their own EPG

Some customers when they got Sky Q installed got a Hybrid LNB and some did not.

I use Sky HD Box connected to my AV receiver that's connected to Sky Glass HDMI 2 as I have a Hybrid LNB

Note if you have Sky Dish that only has Sky Q LNB that is not a Hybrid LNB

You can though use the new 4K FreeSat Box if you only have  Sky Q LNB

The new 4K FreeSat Boxes use the same Wideband that Sky Q uses  

I regards to Talking Pictures or any other channels not available on Sky Glass/Sky Stream for those channels  to be available on Sky Glass/Sky Stream that requires first for that channel broadcaster  to want to be available on Sky Glass/Sky Stream Platform 

For Talking Pictures to be available

It's requires a separate carriage deal to be agreed with Sky and for Talking Pictures provide technical support for Sky Glass/Sky Stream Platform.

Sky can't just add any channel without a carriage deal be agreed between channel broadcaster.

Channels you can get on Satellite and Freeview have different license agreements to Streaming they are not the same.

Sky Glass/Sky Stream is a Streaming Device 

Sky Glass has 3 HDMI inputs for devices that has HDMI output 

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks

@Paul+Boland 

"Some customers when they got Sky Q installed got a Hybrid LNB and some did not.

I use Sky HD Box connected to my AV receiver that's connected to Sky Glass HDMI 2 as I have a Hybrid LNB"

It depends on which hybrid LNB was fitted, only the "smart LNB" will allow you to connect anything to any output. The current LNBs have two outputs exclusively for Q (will work with 4K freesat boxes) the others will only work with freesat boxes. The problem is where you want the leads that will work with freesat go as it is unlikely that they will go to the same place as the Q ones, so it could be more work than just plugging a freesat box in.

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@bob1234 

There is only 1 type of Hybrib LNB

• 6 Way Hybrid LNB
  • Suitable For Use With Free to Air, Freesat, Sky or Sky Q Setups
  • Number of LNB Ouputs: 6
  • 2x Wideband Outputs used with Sky Q and New 4K Freesat Boxes 
  • 4x Standard  Inputs (Can be used with older Sky /Freesat Boxes  and Tv's that have Satellite connections

The new Freesat 4K Boxes use the Wideband same that Sky Q uses

So customers that have Sky Q but did not have a Hybrib LNB installed can just use their existing cables they previously had connected to Sky Q to the New Freesat 4K Box

Sky Q Wideband LNB with just 2 connections is not a Hybrib LNB

It's a  Wideband LNB

Customers that did not have a Hybrib LNB installed cannot use with Sky HD/SKy+ Box or with a TV that has a satellite connection

They must have a Hybrid LNB or Standard LNB on the Sky Dish 

A Standard LNB is available as Single, Quad or Octo LNB

@Paul+Boland  There are 3 types possibly 4.

EL010 "Smart LNB" not strictly a hybrid.

EL027 - 2x2 - 2 for wideband, 2 for standard/legacy

EL028 - 2x4 - 2 for wideband, 4 for standard/legacy

There may be an "Octo" one but I have not seen that.

and of course there is a Q only 2 output one.

@bob1234 

There is only 1 type of Hybrid LNB

It has 6 connections

Sky Q LNB is not a Hybrid it's a Wideband LNB

Hybrid LNB  has both Wideband and Standard LNB connections that why is called Hybrid

Sky Q Wideband LNB which has 2 connections can be used with Sky Q and the New Freesat 4K Boxes

Hybrid LNB has 6 connections

2 Wideband

4 Standard 

Sky unless customers request Hybrid LNB will just install Sky Q Wideband LNB 

If customers only have Sky Dish with standard LNB they do not need to worrry about Hybrib 

Some customers who upgraded to Sky Glass did not had Sky Q previously

@Paul+Boland wrote:

@bob1234 

There is only 1 type of Hybrid LNB

It has 6 connections

Sky Q LNB is not a Hybrid it's a Wideband LNB

Hybrid LNB  has both Wideband and Standard LNB connections that why is called Hybrid

Sky Q Wideband LNB which has 2 connections can be used with Sky Q and the New Freesat 4K Boxes

Hybrid LNB has 6 connections

2 Wideband

4 Standard 

Sky unless customers request Hybrid LNB will just install Sky Q Wideband LNB 

Sorry you are wrong.

I'm not wrong

When Sky install Sky Q at customers address they will only install a Hybrib LNB if customers requested a Hybrib LNB

When a customer requested a Hybrid sky installed a 6 Way Hybrid LNB they did this for all customers in Republic of Ireland that requested a Hybrid

• 2x Wideband Outputs used with Sky Q or the  New 4K Freesat Boxes 
  • 4x Standard  Inputs (Can be used with older Sky /Freesat Boxes  and Tv's that have Satellite connections

Some customers many have done a install with a different Hybrid LNB they purchased themselves

When a Sky engineer done the install and provided the Hybrid they used the 6 Way Hybrid LNB 

Revez-hybrid-lnb.png

If customer did not request a Hybrid LNB sky instead installed the Wideband LNB that just has 2 connections 

That wideband LNB can only be used with Sky Q or the new Freesat 4K box 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Paul+Boland 

EL027  as @bob1234 referred to

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion