Discussion topic: possible new customer

This message was authored by maycourt This message was authored by: maycourt

possible new customer

Hello,

I will be moving home in 14 days yet could not see what services sky offer by postcode for the new property, after the sky chat was very slightly usefull in providing a number I could call that did prove useless, that is after creating an account.

Can someone please advise on how to proceed as it's now clear as mud?

Kind regards,

Lee

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: now a new customer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@maycourt 

Note that 'pods' are the Max WiFi extenders while 'pucks' are the Sky Stream television boxes.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: possible new customer

@maycourt you can check what if anything Openreach know about your new home by putting your new full address into this checker Openreach Checker. That links to the same database all ISPs buying services from Openreach use. If you want help in understanding what it tells you post the table and first few lines on the notes after removing the reference to the address.

If there isn't an entry talk to your developer as it is their responsibility to register the development assuming they are allowing Openreach to run lines which isn't a certainty.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@maycourt 

For a new build development the address has to be on the Royal Mail PAF database and then propagate to ISP sales systems.  As @Chrisee indicates, it also needs to be known about by Openreach.

maycourt
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

maycourt_0-1712834291634.png

This is what I get as all the adresses are listed on Open Reach, so at least I know who to contactcheck up with now to get the line in, whenever that happens yet the builder have confirmed more than just Open Reach have been laying FTTH which is what I want. 

I shall have to tether my mobile to my laptop until it's available.

maycourt
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood,

Yes that's true and depending on how quickly each company updated it's records, as for some ISPs they state the post code is invalid or only a few of the home address are listed, which I found very frusrtating indeed. 

However, thank you for your input.

KInd regards,

Lee

@maycourt can you repost the picture as currently only the headings are visible.we need to see the table and the first few lines of the notes to know what is possible. Openreach only talk to Telcos like Sky but the link is a covenient way to see behind tge scenes.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@maycourt 

Note that as an individual you cannot contact Openreach to 'order a line': only an ISP can do that when a broadband order is placed with them.

For all new build above a small number of plots, FTTP is now the only infrastructure which will be available.

maycourt
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

It stated pending yet on Open Reach I checked again and discoverd what's coming

maycourt_0-1712837118857.png

Not that I need that.. yet wondering what routers will be available, more curiosity as I only need 1Gbpm realisticly as I am leaving a well know ISP where that's what I had.

@maycourt wrote:

wondering what routers will be available

The default Sky router for FTTP is the 2019 Sky Broadband Hub.  The 2023 Max Hub (Wifi 6) is available by paying more each month for the WiFi Max subscription supplement.

We suspect Sky has no immediate plans to support FTTP speed bands above 1Gbs: both current full-fibre Hub models have gigabit WAN ports and so couldn't be used for such a service.

maycourt
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood,

I agree as only Virginmedia and Community Broadband (or something like that as I have forgotten the actual working after Community) that I know of are advertising 2Gbps

@maycourt 

EE (BT by another name) will be the mainstream option for gigabit+ connections: they've been trialing this since last summer.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/06/isp-ee-uk-launch-1-6gbps-full-fibre-broadband-plan-and... 

That's a mighty ugly router though...

Screenshot 2024-04-11 140512.png

@maycourt honestly very few people can use 1Mb/s let alone 1.8Mb/s. Currently Sky offer up to a Gigabit and look to be unlikely to offer anything faster as their current hubs only have Gigabit WAN ports. You can buy faster routers which will work connected to the ONT but they are not cheap

The main point of having that kind of bandwidth is to support multiple simultaneous users. The thing people overlook is thst few apps can use more than 100Mb/s when running for example streaming the. Highest quality UHD video tops out around 35Mb/s, online gaming needs under 10Mb/s. Downloading is of course faster IF the server doesn't limit each users bandwidth which almost all do. Business apps rarely need high bandwidth so unless you are moving huge uncompressed video files etc when a cabled network supporting 2.5Gb/s would be sensible.

Otherwise to distribute speeds over 1Gb/s you sre going to need both network kit and devices that support Wifi6e which isnt going to be cheap. 

The last point is currently Openreach setup has to 32 users are sharing a single 2.48Gb/s download fibre from the exchange and it is very rare to get contention issues.

Actually one of the few bits of hardware which looks nicer from the rear ; )

EE_Rear.png

Also interesting to note that they appear to have finally addressed a glaring and longstanding security issue by not putting the label carrying the WiFi key and admin credentials facing outwards...

maycourt
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Hello, I have a few questions in the hope you could provide some guidance please.

1: How can I add my address into my account?

2: The new router, is it 6 or 6e?

3: What are pugs? going to assume its a device to improve wi-fi coverage, perhaps with a LAN port, as I needs something with a LAN port for my main PC.

4: what third party, or Sky's own devices, extenders to use with Sky's new router?

Many thanks in advance.

@maycourt assume you  are talking about the Wifi Max bundle. The new hub is wifi6 and is triband and supports WPA3 wifi security. Sky will supply the first extender pods on request but to get up to a further 2 they send out an engineer to survey the network. The extender pods plug into wall sockets they each have two ethernet ports but only support wifi5 but like the hub they are triband. See more here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-max

You can edit your address under your details in the My Sky app but with broadband accounts changing the address shown under your details starts  the home move.process.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion