Discussion topic: Very slow wifi speed on all devices, but speed test shows fast

This message was authored by wilbken22 This message was authored by: wilbken22

Re: Very slow wifi speed on all devices, but speed test shows fast

@JPR007 Im having the same issue as other users have mentioned. Speed to the router as reported by the diagnostics on the router itself is 43Mb/s. However all speeds on all devices cap out at 14Mb/s.

having done a network scan we identified the 2.4ghz channel we were using was the worst option in our area. Switched to a number of recommended wireless channels with no improvement.

I've even removed all devices from the network, powered off any Wi-fi devices so that only my MacBook was connected via Ethernet with Wi-fi disabled and with one device connected over Ethernet I still only got 14Mb/s.

Faulty router? Any recommendations on any other options available to fault find would be greatly appreciated!

This message was authored by wilbken22 This message was authored by: wilbken22

@JPR007 these are the statistics if that's offers any clues?

D4C9B81A-D669-434F-9F91-1E094EE93557.jpeg

This message was authored by Monkeymanpp This message was authored by: Monkeymanpp

Join bt for broadband, they're quick, reliable and I never had a problem with connecting/speed on multiple devices. I tried sky as they offered a deal at the time...... never again I'm afraid

This message was authored by Monkeymanpp This message was authored by: Monkeymanpp

Sky is rubbish for broadband and wifi. They're just shocking. I have honestly had no issues with BT. I can't wait to go back to them, my issues were that bad with sky, they allowed me to leave without cancellation fees. Just a poor service to be honest

This message was authored by IvanW This message was authored by: IvanW

I had the same issue, and fixed it by changing my WiFi password.  This disconnects all devices from WiFi.  Then I reconnected my PC, and the speed was back up to normal levels.

Waiting to see if the speed drops again as I reconnect other devices.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@IvanW you may have a rogue device that slows your wifi so connect them one by one. One work round if you do find some devices slow down the others is to split the wifi bands put older and slower devices on the 2.4GHz band leavingbthe 5GHz band for phones, PC s etc. This how to Split Sky WiFi bands

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Proshowme This message was authored by: Proshowme

This is exactly the problem I'm having, even my echo dot reads the notifications out in a staggered speech with pauses of up to 3 secs!  I personally believe sky is throttling the amount of content permitted to be streamed and why does this happen when they want you to upgrade? BT warned me of sky slow delivery... Nothing is mine works correctly as though it struggles with the content I've even had the technician in, its them what set it up first time round and its never been touched so why all this bad performance 18 months later when contract ending?... Theres no point me doing what's suggested if the technician says their equipment shows it had no fault... It's all techno garbage but we know the difference in bad performance and these visual reassurances are placebos... Stop messing sky and sort out the service! 

The new hubs don't actually recommend split of the channel because they apparently are designed to hop between the least congested channel, and if you confine it to one channel if that becomes congested it won't hop to a least busiest one..!!! 

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Proshowme The newer hubs use both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi, primarily when people change channels the only ones they are altering is the 2.4Ghz channels. 

Yes they do change the channels automatically but they don't always get it right, and sometimes manual intervention is best.

Any modern devices such as iPhones/iPads or android equivalents should be able to use both frequencies at the same time anyway, but they will chose which one if they don't use both depending on how responsive the connection is and how it's performing.
They always have a preference to use the 5GHz frequency anyway as it generally has less congestion and interference while providing much higher throughout, even if the signal is weaker. The trade off is the the signal doesn't go as far.

Sometimes when devices don't get this right that is why we recommend splitting the frequencies to force them to use a particular frequency band. They can cling to the strongest frequency...ie 2.4GHz as it goes further, but if it's ridden with interference it'll be dog slow despite being stronger, hence people get problems. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

Well I can only say I don't know why the technician of sky never did that to resolve my problem which is grave! 

This message was authored by Dazzyboyz This message was authored by: Dazzyboyz

The same again, moved from Virgin for the sport and the WIFI on the Q box and the WIfI devices is really bad, 

the router is behind me im my office 2 metres away from my laptop , drops in and out all day , driving me made as I work from home.

All the family are moaning about it.

I seroiusly regret moving to sky,, 16 more months of this, I wount cope!!

I think people should petition sky... I also don't think BT aka open reach should own the networks access 

People should also check vpn causing problems 

This message was authored by Greaser This message was authored by: Greaser

We have very similar problem with slow speeds in the last 2 weeks!! Despite getting 300-600 WiFi connection to the hub the internet speed is often below 1mbs! 3 phone call to sky and still not sorted' getting annoyed at being spoken to like an idiot really🤔  I'll try and add the stats

2F102479-78C2-4462-A9A8-DA35E3D5AA51.png

I've had the so called techs in, all they do is stand there with their tablet telling you robotically how brilliant your speeds are, sky is not functional it can say what it wants on their gadgets but truth is, they're missing summat and it's not fit for purpose. It's said by the techs that fibre from the street to the house won't come in until all other sky people that are on copper connection all the way agree brought up to date (called asdl leads our something old leads) so way I see it is the more people they eventually upgrade to what I have (so called superfast) is the slower my superfast will become. I can't get ultra fast yet as there is no infrastructure. Anyway either way it goes my broadband is standard and had deteriorated over the months to this standard and it struggles to do video calls, it struggles to load images, sky also claim they don't guarantee upload speeds over 3mbs,you can just about watch films and get things done at a standard pace don't expect anything more they aren't a broadband company their a film company... 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion