Discussion topic: Unable to locate ONT but have a Openreach socket fitted

This message was authored by Tim+D+62 This message was authored by: Tim+D+62

Unable to locate ONT but have a Openreach socket fitted

Hi,

I'm waiting for my new Sky fast Broadband to be activated tomorrow, and I wanted to plug my modem to the ONT, as I picked it up today... only to realise there's no ONT in my flat, only an Open Reach socket (the kind of socket that doesn't fit a RJ45 Ethernet, but a smaller version to fit a ADSL filter). 

is it possible that only this socket is installed? Sky didn't send any engineer, which I assume is because they think I have an ONT already. Could it be hidden somewhere? It seems weird that the open reach socket is installed without an ONT somewhere...

thanks! 

BDD3B9A4-29BB-4F2C-A47C-E31722C1AF0E.jpeg

0A201979-A773-47E2-A55F-ADA862BB03BA.jpeg

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Unable to locate ONT but have a Openreach socket fitted

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tim+D+62 

That's a standard (older) unfiltered Openreach 'phone' socket for a standard 'BT jack' (B S 6312 431A) and doesn't relate in any way to FTTP.

If Sky are provisioning Superfast over FTTC then an ONT isn't relevant hardware.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Tim+D+62
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tim+D+62 This message was authored by: Tim+D+62

Thanks for your answer. I'm pretty sure I'm getting sky broadband over FTTP as Sky and Openreach are messaging me to plug the sky broadband hub to the ONT...

The previous owners might have talenk the box with then when leaving. I'll have to call Sky I think. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tim+D+62 wrote:

The previous owners might have talenk the box with then when leaving.

I'd suggest looking for an orphaned fibre optic cable: this would typically have a green jack, and be located within a metre of a mains power socket.  There may also be evidence of the screws used to secure an ONT to the wall.

ONT_Label.jpeg SCAPC.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion