Discussion topic: Very slow wifi speed on all devices, but speed test shows fast

This message was authored by flowtech This message was authored by: flowtech

Very slow wifi speed on all devices, but speed test shows fast

Within the house, we've recently been seeing very slow internet speeds on all devices (mobiles, PC, TV), with some not able to load app content or stream video at all. Doing speed tests on various websites, we're clearly getting good speed into the house and to the wifi router (70mbps download, 18mbps upload). The router is located in open space, and we've tried moving it and removing any devices nearby that could interfere, such as cordless landline phone. All devices are able to connect to the wifi, but the speed is incredibly slow - and for example, on mobile phones, Whatsapp and Messenger aren't sending/recieving messages over the wifi. We know it's not an issue with the devices as we suddenly get lots of old messages when out of the house and connected using mobile data or wifi at work.

I've tried restarting the router numerous times (in case we're getting interefence from elsewhere, I understand the wifi channel is reset when restarting), and even done a factory reset on the router. I've also tried to resolve this via the Sky diagnostics tool, but it's not showing any errors, which seems to point to a router/wifi problem rather than an external connection issue. This has only started within the last couple of weeks, and yet we've been a sky customer for years, and had the Sky Q hub since last year, so don't understand why we're having these issues now. We've not made any changes inside the house that would affect the wifi signal, which was working perfectly fine until a few weeks ago.

Can anybody help please? There's no point us having fast internet speeds into the router if it can't be distributed to our devices!

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Very slow wifi speed on all devices, but speed test shows fast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@flowtech   Have you tried these steps https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/my-broadband-speed/improving-wi-fi-signal-to-my-devices/diag...

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@flowtech   Have you tried these steps https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/my-broadband-speed/improving-wi-fi-signal-to-my-devices/diag...

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Hendo59 This message was authored by: Hendo59

We are having exactly the same issues, getting very slow connections and sometimes non at all at various times of day. 
I work from home and we have gamers too. Usually not had problems but the past few weeks have been poor. Were definitely not getting the super fast speeds we are paying for. Sky speed tests say we're fine ... getting 79 but other speed test sites say different, 13-17

please help us sky, we tried all the tips you recommended. 

C66824FF-1BAC-43CD-A1B0-B409EF62171D.png

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Hendo59  Speedtests results don't tell us anything other than what is being measured at the wqekest point in the network, which is usually wifi related.  Please post you router stats as described in this post https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

Once you have posted them then we can help identify the likely issue.

This message was authored by AMccmack This message was authored by: AMccmack

We're exactly the same. The sky app is telling us that we are getting 66 mb/s but other sites are 13-15. All devices are struggling with slow loading pages, keep losing connection, slow download when downloading programs and yet keep checking the sky app which tells us everything is great. Something is definitely a miss and the sky app is telling porkies 

@AMccmack   It is quite possible that the app is correct and your isses are wifi related,  https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/my-broadband-speed/improving-wi-fi-signal-to-my-devices/diag...

What you need to realise is wifi is subject to interference from other wifi signals nearby all jossling for the same limited bandwidth.

A wifi analyzer app on your phone will show all competing wifi signals.  The more wifi signals clashing the poorer the speed you get.

F56C7AF7-3D51-4156-90E7-93F93FE9CEFB.png

 these are my stats

But the issue has only just occurred over the last few weeks and we've had everything the same for the last 18 months. 

@AMccmack Yes but wifi can be prone to any additional wifi signals, even if it worked perfectly weeks ago won't guarantee it will be the same the next day,  posting your router stats will show whether it is a line fault or wifi related

@GD1 thanks for quick reply 

here are our stats 

335402BF-470A-4161-9239-507E632CEBB8.png

@AMccmack   You are getting 66mbps to the router, therefore your issues are certainly wifi related and not broadband related

What do you suggest to help us? 
do you mean individual devices have the problem? 

@Hendo59   May be worth trying these steps https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/my-broadband-speed/improving-wi-fi-signal-to-my-devices/diag...

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@AMccmack It looks from your router stats that the vast majority of your Wi-Fi traffic is going over the slow and overcrowded 2.4GHz band as well, rather than the 5GHz network. This is probably where your biggest lack of speed is coming from.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Hendo59 Do you have a device such as a PC that you can connect via Ethernet? If you have, run the ookla Speedtest on that and see what sort of results you get. With your stats it should be around the 70-73M/b region for download, and 17-18M/b upload. If you get these results then it proves it's a Wi-Fi issue rather than an actual connection issue.

Sadly Wi-Fi especially in the current position we all find ourselves in, has been shown up for what it is, a technology for convenience, but reliability and speed play second fiddle. It doesn't matter how reliable it has been in the past, it uses radio frequencies which by nature, are subject to interference ans degradation 100% of the time 😕

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion