Discussion topic: Sky compatible routers

This message was authored by Spen+H This message was authored by: Spen+H

Re: Sky compatible routers

That answers that question then!!

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'm staying as is then.  It works fine for the most part, just a few little niggles that's all.

This message was authored by Spen+H This message was authored by: Spen+H

@mae-3 one other question then.

With my DECO, is it possible to have a pass through device which authenticates as a modem, plugged into my DECO which then runs as a router, or do the settings have to be compatible on both?  I think i did something similar in a previous house when Virgin sent me their waste of space router, although that wasn't with DECO's then

And is there any benefit in this do you think?  I think my DECO does much more than the Sky Router is capable of, if I could get it to work.

If not, I'll leave as is.  Thanks

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Spen+H 

There are no benefits in doing so, you could try authenticating with DHCPv6 PD on the Deco mesh but that isn't guaranteed to work as only 80% of broadband exchanges support it. See https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2642/ 

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by ShaunC85 This message was authored by: ShaunC85

@mae-3  @TimmyBGood  @cookiemonsteruk 

quick question guys, just been looking at the Draytek Vigor 166. I've seen it's not wireless. How will I access the interface on it to put into bridge mode? I don't own a pc or laptop, could probably get if needs be from a family member. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ShaunC85 

The setup guide says:

The Vigor 166 can be used either as a modem, bridging G.Fast or VDSl2 to its Ethernet ports, or as a router, connecting directly to the Internet and providing connectivity to any connected devices.
The Vigor 166 is pre-configured to work with most UK ISPs, with ideal settings for connecting to the Openreach G.Fast / VDSL2 network, adding VLAN tag 101 to any traffic passing through it.

Out of the box, the Vigor 166 operates in Modem/Bridge mode. To use the Vigor 166 as a modem for G.Fast or VDSL2 connections, connect it up to the DSL line and connect your router to one of the Vigor 166’s LAN ports.

It's been a while since I last used one, but from memory that's correct, and all configuration (if any) for a specific ISP is done on the router.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood  Thanks I'll report back when it arrives and I fail to sort things

@mae-3  hey me again haha. I haven't ordered the Draytek yet I am going to today. Just a quick question. Do I have a healthy line? 

the whole reason I'm replacing my sky hub etc is I want more control over my internet. I live in a busy house most and I'm a gamer. 

image.jpg

@ShaunC85 

Yes, you have a healthy G.fast broadband line which is at maximum 150Mbps/30Mbps for the service subscribed with plenty of spare noise margin.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3  Thanks for the quick response. 

is there any reason why the system up time is only 57 hours? I can't remember resetting the hub in the last 2 and a half days. Also are them collion pkts okay at 13?

@ShaunC85 

Sky has been pushing out new firmware over the last week, and the collisions are very low and nothing to worry about.

-------

This message was authored by CN4382 This message was authored by: CN4382

Hi there,

We recently switched from Virgin to Sky in ROI. Our installation included the SIRO/ONT white box on the wall and we have a sky hub for the modem/router.

Previously with Virgin I just ran their modem in bridge mode and used my google nest for router/wifi. I've learned that this isn't possible with sky and instead I just have the wifi as a separate network (I think) and then the sky hub routes the rest of the traffic to my physical computer/NAS.

My question is, are there any modems that I can buy to replace the sky one and go back to using my google nest as my router/wifi.

Thanks!

@CN4382 

It is possible to use the Google Nest setup connected to the ONT in ROI. Sky uses PPPoE for authentication and the username is 'anything@skydsl' and the password is 'anything' where anything is in its pure self meaning anything.

-------

This message was authored by CN4382 This message was authored by: CN4382

So I can just plug it directly into the google nest wifi pro and forego the sky hub entirely and it should in theory work?

As long as I set it to PPPoE and fill in the correct details and I think as you had said previously to turn everything off for 30 minutes before turning it all back on again?

I will give this a go tomorrow and report back.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@CN4382 

From memory fttp users in the ROI need to enable vlan id and enter 10 as the value

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cookiemonsteruk  Was it not 101 for the vlan ID. Could be wrong also.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion