Discussion topic: Sky compatible routers

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Sky compatible routers

@SamBuster & @jamesn123 

The only workable solution in these cases is to use a non-proprietary VoIP solution with an ATA adapter (about £30) or a complete VoIP phone to same with either Sky or Zen. An additional cost is usually about £6-£10 months with some free minutes.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by SamBuster This message was authored by: SamBuster

Thanks for that @mae-3 

Would the solution you are describing allow me to keep my current phone number? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SamBuster wrote:

Thanks for that @mae-3 

Would the solution you are describing allow me to keep my current phone number? 

I dont think so in your current state. To move your number to a VOIP provider it would mean you would have to end your Sky connection as I dont believe Sky would/could issue your line a new number mid contract.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@cookiemonsteruk @mae-3 

Hi Guys, I am trying to setup my new router, I have this screen and not sure which one to select? Help please!

SamBuster_0-1683753111934.png

Hasn't managed to get it to work yet. Here are the settings I tried . Please help 😕

SamBuster_0-1683754914211.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@SamBuster 

Try also adding vlan id tag 101 to lan settings -> iptv

screenshot-192.168.86.1-2022.08.04-14_20_18.jpg

Also @mae-3 should nat be disabled on the asus ?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@OnlyAsh 

Make sure you've had both the Sky router & your new router unplugged from the line for a little while first as often your new router wont register with Sky if you've only just unplugged the Sky hub

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@cookiemonsteruk & @SamBuster 

NAT should be enabled.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Thanks for all your help so far guys. I am strill struggling through.

I tried @jamesn123 's suggestion of waiting for 5 minutes with everything unplugged.

anlso VID 101 setting suggested by @cookiemonsteruk 

Nat is enabled as @mae-3 suggested but no luck

it says 

SamBuster_0-1683972595594.png

and these are the lights on the TD W9970 

SamBuster_1-1683972720552.png

And this is how it is pugged in 

SamBuster_2-1683972748503.png

SamBuster_3-1683972782934.png

I would really appriciate any help please 😥

Also here is the first screen when setting up the asus, I just went with Automatic IP.

Sould I have selected DHCP? or anything else?

SamBuster_0-1683972988800.png

@SamBuster 

Automatic IP is good which means DHCP.

-------

OK in that case I am really not sure what is wrong. I don't even know if the problem is ont he TD-W9970 side or on the AUSUS side. Is there any way to check that the TD-W9970 bit is OK?

@SamBuster 

Can we see the WAN tab screen, and have you filled in the DHCP Option 61 field with 'anything@skydsl|anything' without the single quotes?

-------

Thanks @mae-3 

See under DHCP option

SamBuster_0-1683978686131.png

SamBuster_1-1683978732001.png

@cookiemonsteruk 

Interestingly now it says "connected" but   I can't really connect to the internet.

however if I do

" vlan id tag 101 to lan settings -> iptv" as you suggested, it says it is not connected.

When I remove it it says connected. But I can't access the internet yet

SamBuster_0-1683979882539.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion