Discussion topic: Sky compatible routers

This message was authored by SamBuster This message was authored by: SamBuster

Re: Sky compatible routers

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@SamBuster 

It may be able to be used in bridge mode but some earlier releases had issues and wouldn't work. I'd give it a go by following the instructions from TP-Link.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Thank you so much again @mae-3  👍

@SamBuster 

That one that you linked to in your last post won't work it does not include a VDSL2 modem.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3  Thanks so much for checking this so quickly. You are a godsend 🙏

Hi @mae-3 

I am Setting up the w9970 and wanted to confirm something - it has both 'sky vdsl and sky mer vdsl. I guess I need to use sky vdsl? Is that right?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SamBuster 

Use sky vdsl that then passes the mer authentication on to the router behind it

If you use sky mer vdsl then the tp link does the routing which you don't want

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

Amazing 🤩 

thank you so much @cookiemonsteruk 🙏

@cookiemonsteruk @mae-3 , please could you check if this is correct? Probably a silly question but just wanted to confirm 🙂

With the Tp link td w9970 (as bridge) + Asus RT AX58U  solution,

1. The Tp link td w9970 gets connected straight to the wall socket using the DSL cable and
  2. The Asus RT AX58U is connected to the Tp link td w9970 with the ethernet cable

The SR203 is no longer used. Is this correct?

@SamBuster 

Yes, that is the correct configuration.

-------

Thanks so much @mae-3 

Out land line is now connected to the back of the SR203 after it has gone digital. Can it stil lbe used with the  td w9970? The manual says it supports the BT phone line etc. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@SamBuster 

No you'd lose access to your landline without the Sky hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Oh that is bad news 🥲

Is there any way to keep it? May be by buying yet another gadget/splitter?

By the way thanks so much @jamesn123 for the response

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@SamBuster 

No the only way to use it is to have the Sky hub connected directly to the line and then putting your router/ap behind the Sky hub but that would kind of defeat the purpose what you are currently trying to do. 

I have a similar setup with Zen Broadband except I use their Fritzbox as the modem, they contacted me recently and told me that they would be moving my line to digital voice. I called them and queried how I would use my own router with digital voice and they admitted there's no current workaround to use digital voice over anything other than their router directly connected to the line so they paused the migration for my line. Its a shame Sky cant do the same until they've figured a solution. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion