Discussion topic: Sky WiFi max hub performance

This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

Sky WiFi max hub performance

I would like views on current performance of the WiFi 6 sky hub. I know there were a myriad of problems reported at launch - is it now more reliable and what WiFi speeds are you achieving?

I am out of contract and will move to a new home in a few months. I have decided not to erect a dish and will migrate from Sky Q to Stream. No longer being constrained by incompatibility with Sky Q, I will be able to order the latest hub and take full advantage of my FTTP connection. 

I am therefore keen to know if the Sky WiFi max hub will be relatively bug free (my SR203 was stable except for orange voice light issue). However if the hub is still buggy I may move to EE (or Hyperoptic however I don't think they have a WIfi 6 hub yet).

TIA

—————————————————————————————————-Sky Stream, Sky Gigafast Broadband with SR203 Hub

All Replies

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Re: Sky WiFi max hub performance

If you are not using the sky hub for calls you also have the option to get a third party wifi6 hub for your gigafast service 

i have had the max hub since November and have had no problems with it since the firmware update on day one and once the app fully updated after that

i liked that with the max hub you can go in and rename the ssid and password to match the old hub so all my devices reconnected automatically with no problems including the ring doorbell and cam on 2.4 ghz

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kenny+Rankin 

Perhaps worth remembering that while it's tempting to 'take full advantage' of a fast FTTP connection, almost no client devices actually need more than a small fraction of the speed such a service delivers to the router.  You can have Gigabit fibre and a WiFi 6 Max Hub, but a Stream puck will still only use 30Mbs.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kenny+Rankin I ordered Sky Wifi Max in the summer and found that for the extra cost it did not give me any noticeable improvement over my previous SR203 running with 3 Deco M4 units providing wifi. It was also extremly unstable. However if youbrejectvthe Wifi Max you keep thecwhite SR213 router and just return the pod extenders. Therefore currently I am running the SR213 with the Deco units. 

As a router it is totally fine now and is very stable. In practice I find I can use both its own wifi and the Deco units wifi without interference (the SR213 can use a wider range of 5GHz channels than the SR203) . The SE213 has faster wifi than the SR203 so currently I am two floors away from where the hub is and this iPad shows around 100Mb/s wifi although move to another room further from the hub speeds drop so on its own it doesnt totally cover my home but that is more to do with its unusual layout.. My Stream units work reliably on either wifi network. The trick with those is not bandwidth - they only need less than 50Mb/s each - is low jitter which is down to interference levels which fortunately are very low around here.

I suspect the pods are also perfoning better and will be stable as the system uses a third signal for backhaul but beware if your home has solid walls as you need decent 5GHz signal strngth for thst to work. 

Hope that helps.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Pedro60 This message was authored by: Pedro60

@mormegil  Hi regarding your post with new max hub 

I liked you said you can go into settings and keep same ssid etc , how do you do that . 
it is a complete pain going round all gadgets and trying to get them to connect to new router.

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

@Pedro60 
you scroll down to setting

IMG_2916.png

 then chose the max hub

IMG_2917.png

And the next screen you can update the ssid and password

This message was authored by Pedro60 This message was authored by: Pedro60

@mormegil  Brilliant thank you so much 

This message was authored by mikej200905 This message was authored by: mikej200905

To be honest the new sky hub is absolutely awful, I get 910mb to the hub the most I've got through wifi so far is 320mb!, and the fact sky has locked out most settings on the router is a joke. I take 4 steps into my garden and video calls drop, I've even disabled wifi and plugged in an asus router still the same speed, either the 910mb to my hub is a lie or sky are throttling my speed through wifi or the ethernet ports can't transmit that kind of speed and this is with a cat7 cable. I literally dont get it. Please stay clear of gigafast.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion