Discussion topic: Replacing Sky Q Hub with TP-Link AX55 Router

This message was authored by Sophlx09 This message was authored by: Sophlx09

Replacing Sky Q Hub with TP-Link AX55 Router

A Few Years ago i Swapped my Sky Broadband Hub for A Third Party Router an Asus, i wasnt the one who swapped it over and set it up. now i want to replace the asus router with the TP-Link AX55 Router but im having an issue which is annoying me i've tried everything PPPoE ISP etc. 

Nothing is working. the internet led is orange on the TP-Link Router and i can't get it to go green.

Went on to TP-Link Setup page WAN Set up is not there, ISP List not there either. Dynmatic IP Doesnt work. 

i use a BT Open reach Modem thats working fine and so is the ethernet cable that goes into the wan port.

What do i do?

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: No ISP List on TP-Link AX55

@Sophlx09 

You are not seeing the ISP List because the router is not a DSL router, eg: it does not connect directly to the BT Openreach telephone line socket it requires a modem. Unfortunately, the TP-Link AX55 router isn't compatible with Sky's method of authentication.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Replacing Sky Q Hub with TP-Link AX55 Router

@Sophlx09 

If you are in the UK then the authentication to Sky is DHCP Option 61 with the credentials 'anything@skydsl|anytthing' without the single quotes and 'anything' is in its true term. I am not sure whether the TP-Link AX55 supports DHCP Option 61 but if it does it will only likely be via the web interface to the router interface and not via an app on a tablet or smartphone.

[add] Just checked the TP-Link website and most none DSL router do not support DHCP Option 61 which is the case for the AX55, but one could try DHCPv6 Prefix Deligation (PD) to authticate which does work for about 80% of the broadband exchanges but not all.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Sophlx09
Topic Author

Tried Anything@Skydsl etc that didn't do anything didn't make the orange internet icon on the router go green. I Followed The Setup Booklet that came with the TP-Link AX55 Router that didn't work.

if nothing is working is it because of my asus router that is the issue. and do i have to start all over again starting with the sky broadband hub. 

on my tp-link router the WIFI icons are green but interner icon is orange.

DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation was already enabled when i first went on to set it up on setup page.

if i need to start all over again with sky hub how do i set that up to when set up the tp-link so everything finally works. 

@Sophlx09 

The TP-Link AX55 is not compatible with Sky's DHCP Option 61, and you are trying to use PPPoE authentication and that will not work with Sky in the UK.

If DHCPv6 PD was enabled and that doesn't work then the exchange you are on is likely incompatible with that method of authentication.

The best action would be to return the TP-Link AX55 and get another router that does support Sky's method of authentication, eg: DHCP Option 61 & DHCPv6 PD. The majority of those with Sky pick an Asus router as these are known to work with Sky's method of authentication.

-------

Sophlx09
Topic Author

No ISP List on TP-Link AX55

I'm Setting up My TP-Link  AX55 Router but can't find the ISP List to select Sky (MER)_VDSL

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sophlx09  I have merged your post to this existing thread that is discussing the same issue, a new thread isn't required.

Please also see @mae-3  reply to your issue.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@Sophlx09 

You are not seeing the ISP List because the router is not a DSL router, eg: it does not connect directly to the BT Openreach telephone line socket it requires a modem. Unfortunately, the TP-Link AX55 router isn't compatible with Sky's method of authentication.

-------

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sophlx09 

Further to @mae-3 their dhcpv6 pd is not the best

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Sophlx09
Topic Author

(UPDATE) 

I Contacted TP-Link and they said the reason why the AX55 Won't connect is because my MAC Address is binded to my Asus Router and that i need to contact my ISP to get them to unbound the mac address so i could use the new router. 

And that why my modem is not recognising other devices.

Sophlx09
Topic Author

(Update)

Need to reword my other post, the asus routers mac address is binded to my modem and thats why it wont connect to the ax55 and that i need to contact my isp to get them to unbound the mac address 

@Sophlx09 

Any tokens that are held by the Sky's headend would be cleared by switching off the router for more than half an hour.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion