Discussion topic: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

Re: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

Thanks @mae-3 

so Instead of dmz'ing the main gateway eero, should I be port forwarding the ip's for the games consoles instead?

Ive never done that before is it complicated? 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@M3rk 

It is better security-wise to port forward the ports required only that are needed through each router and not use the DMZ method. It isn't that difficult, just forward the ports from the internet sitting router and don't use the DMZ method, TP-Link in your case to the internal router and then forward the ports from the internal router to the game console or whatever else you use.

I use this method myself as I have 8 public IP addresses and use a 1-1 on /29 NAT block through a firewall, and then forward the ports through the firewall individually and then through an internal router for game console and gaming PC without any issues whatsoever. And I port forward in the same way for internet servers, web, email and Jitsi meet video server, etc... 😀

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3  Thanks for all the info I'll give it a go !!! 

This message was authored by Tom98261 This message was authored by: Tom98261

Hi, been reading through all of this and pulling my hair out! I've got an openreach modem (white box) on wall. I've purchased a TP Link AX3000 to replace sky router. My old TP link worked fine plugged straight into open reach modem, but this new one won't connect to internet. 

In set up it doesn't give option to have DHCP Option 61, just static/dynamic/PPPoe and two other random ones and when using PPPoe with the log in detials provided it doesn't work. 

How do I set up using IPv6 PD settings when I have to state which internet protical i'm using from abive first? 

Thanks in advance 

@Tom98261 wrote:

Hi, been reading through all of this and pulling my hair out! I've got an openreach modem (white box) on wall. I've purchased a TP Link AX3000 to replace sky router. My old TP link worked fine plugged straight into open reach modem, but this new one won't connect to internet. 

In set up it doesn't give option to have DHCP Option 61, just static/dynamic/PPPoe and two other random ones and when using PPPoe with the log in detials provided it doesn't work. 

How do I set up using IPv6 PD settings when I have to state which internet protical i'm using from abive first? 

Thanks in advance 

Hi @Tom98261  who is you broadband through BT or Sky, ? 

It's through Sky. But open reach installed thier modem on the wall (white box). 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tom98261 

For dhcpv6 prefix delegation authentication in absence of option 61

Enable both ipv4/ipv6 dual stack on the wan

Enable dhcpv6 dynamic on the wan

Enable pd/prefix delegation on the wan

For address creation on the lan select slaac/ stateless

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

HI @Tom98261 .. do you mean the openreach filter / fibre splitter, or an actual modem? i thought if you was with Sky they supplied you with a combined modem router?

the TP-Link you have mentioned is just a router, i think,  so you shouldnt need to add any broadband protocols,  just connected it to the modem. via the blue port on the back?

TBH i have limited knowledge, hopefully @mae-3  might be able to explain better?...sorry

IMG_2256 Small.jpegIMG_2257 Small 2.jpegIMG_2257 Small.jpegIMG_2258 Small.jpegIMG_2259 Small.jpegIMG_2260 Small.jpeg

So I tried to input what you asked, but still not working. Taken images of each step so hope this helps. 

I used dynamic as don't know the user name or password of PPPOE (which says it's meant to be when setting up?)

I took a picture of open reach modem, when i tried my old TP link router, that worked fine with this modem. I guess new routers have way more to sort out!

UPDATE.

Having found out TP Link routers don't work directly connected to ONT on wall. I sent back and got a ASUS RT AX 88U. Though any of the RT AX range will work. Very simply logged in to router set to Dynamic IP and under the DHCP put in the details the other champs have said in this thread and bingo!! 

Using the 5gz option I now have wifi speeds of over 300 mbs in all areas of my house where as sky router would drop connection in those far areas. 

Thanks to all in this thread

This message was authored by NatWat This message was authored by: NatWat

@mae-3 

Hope you can help. My recent Netgear router packed up and they have stopped making them. So we now have a Draytek Vigor which I want to set up as the new router and then reconnect to our Orbi mesh. Basically the same set up that's worked for years but with the Draytek router rather than Netgear.

Sky have also since renewed our deal to the latest broadband (not fibre) and sent us the SR203.

Can you tell me how I configure the Internet Access options on the Draytek? Reading this thread I can't make out whether I use PPPoA or not. On the netgear I did use PPPoA and somehow used Wireshark to get the DSL username etc from the older Sky router. However using Wireshark on the SR203 I can't find the required details. 

I'd really appreciate the help - this is killing our work from home. Many thanks.

For context we have about 50 devices in the home which is why the original router was replaced by our netgear / Orbi combo. The SR203 is supposed to be better with multiple devices, but it seems to still struggle.

This message was authored by NatWat This message was authored by: NatWat

@cookiemonsteruk  - forgot to include you in my request above. Please could you assist?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NatWat 

For ADSL Broadband it is PPPoA and the username is install@o2 and the password is install i believe 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Daniel82 This message was authored by: Daniel82

Hi can anyone advise which router to buy with dhcp option 61 ?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Daniel82 

Asus routers are the most compatible and most support DHCP Option 61 and DHCPv6 PD.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion