Discussion topic: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

This message was authored by Ranz07 This message was authored by: Ranz07

Re: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

That worked connecting to the internet now- Appreciate your help. Thanks:)

I tried directly from the BT modem from the wall and it didn't work but connecting to my Sky router WAN it is working.

Anything I can do to remove the Sky router completely?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Ranz07 

Are you in the UK or Ireland as you mention a BT modem? Is that a BT Optical Network Terminal (ONT)?

If you are in the UK and have full fibre with an ONT then the Sky router can be removed completely.

The credentials for the UK for DHCP Option 61 is 'anything@skydsl|anything' with obtaining an IP automatically from the WAN port of the commercial router you are using? Once you have set the credentials then the ONT and router should be disconnected for about half an hour before reconnecting and authenticating as this ensures Sky's backend servers don't get confused and work correctly.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Thanks, @mae-3  UK, I am located near Coventry, and I have a BT Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

I have set up DHCP Option 61 automatic IP with anything@skydsl|anything. and using WAN port from my sky Router to ASUS RT AX88U and credentials are set. and I am connected to the internet.

To be able to remove SkyRouter, you are saying to disconnect ONT for 30 mins then connect directly to the ASUS router and disconnect the Sky router?

@Ranz07 

Yes, I am saying set up the credentials as described for the Asus router. Then power down the ONT and Asus router once the Sky router is disconnected and these are connected. Then power it all up again after 30 minutes and it should work and connect to Sky without the Sky router at all in the circuit.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 

Thanks for the support,

I have attempted 4 times so far but no luck!.

4 the time I have also pressed reset on ONT and  ASUS router and attempted but it is not picking up internet (redlight)

Steps Followed:

Power down the ONT , SKY router and Asus router 

The sky router is disconnected

Then power on ONT & ASUS router after 30 minutes.

Result: No internet.

Please advise if I can try anything different or recommendation to be able to remove the SKY router.

@Ranz07 

Can you post up a screenshot of the Asus WAN settings to the forum, please?

-------

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Ranz07  perhaps it's senior user moment on my part but the asus manual for your router (linked below) doesn't appear to show any menu items for setting DHCP option 61. Or have i got the wrong manual ?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX88U/E15856_RT-AX88U_UM_v4_WEB.pdf

So without the sky router in the loop your connection should look something like that shown on page 11 para 1.61 in the above linked manual.

And on page 70 when setting up the WAN connection you'd select automatic ip, not PPPOE. Now you could try enabling ipv6 as per p81. If you are on the right bit of the network then you should nativley authenticate on ipv6 without the need for option 61 credentials. 

Hi @mae-3 ,

sorry, it took a while, Screenshots are attached.

ASUS SC DDNS.JPGASUS SC NAT PT.JPGASUS SC En DMZ.JPGASUS SC PortFwd.JPGASUS SC Port Trigger.JPGASUS SC Dual Wan.JPGASUS SC WAN.JPG

@Ranz07 

It's the WAN->Internet Connection tab we need to see in the community...

-------

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ranz07 

You haven't filled in the Client Identifier string Option 61 box, it wont work without that

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Ranz07 

You don't have anything in the DHCP Option, Client Identifier Option 61 field? That field needs filling in and the aggressive mode for DHCP query should be set to normal. Client identifier Option 61 field should be 'anything@skydsl|anything'

-------

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ranz07 wrote:

Thanks, @mae-3  UK, I am located near Coventry, and I have a BT Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

I have set up DHCP Option 61 automatic IP with anything@skydsl|anything. and using WAN port from my sky Router to ASUS RT AX88U and credentials are set. and I am connected to the internet.

To be able to remove SkyRouter, you are saying to disconnect ONT for 30 mins then connect directly to the ASUS router and disconnect the Sky router?

You did mention you had done it. Perhaps you did a factory reset and forgot to re-add it?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Ranz07 

Either what @jamesn123 has said has happened or you didn't Apply the settings once you made the change to DHCP Option parameters, an easy mistake to make... 😀 This Asus router will work with Sky with an ONT and if it doesn't then it'll be the first I've seen an Asus have an issue.

-------

@mae-3 @jamesn123 

Thanks,

Oh Yes, Afte the last reset I didn't put that in but I had internet. Previously I was not getting internet without having anything@skydsl|anything 

Just updated and changed the internet connection to normal, I will try again and come back to you.

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Ranz07  Some other points i noticed in your screen shots. Do you need to use dynamic DNS (DDNS) ? If not turn it off. But, if you do i notice that the router is stating that the WAN has a private ip address (that's an ip address that isn't facing the Internet as they are not Internet routable). And this would also result in you being double NAT'd. I'd have thought your ONT should be just passing through your Internet facing ip to the router's WAN port. 

And on the WAN NAT passthrough page. Do you really need all those different protocols ? If not disable them (or at least the ones you don't need). 

On the main WAN Internet Connection tab. Unless you really need UPNP enabled i suggest disabling it. And if the router supports it you could enable DNSSEC (under DNS privacy protocol) . Not sure if Sky's DNS support that but you could use a provider like Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1) which does. 

And of course enable ipv6 😉 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion