Discussion topic: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

This message was authored by Ranz07 This message was authored by: Ranz07

Re: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

Good morning,

Finally, I have removed sky router and internet is working fine just through ASUS router ..I think standard mode it should be not aggressive mode.  And ofcourse anything@skydsl|anything

Big thanks to @mae-3  and all helped.. great community here.

Appreciate very much - Thanks.

This message was authored by Kammyboo This message was authored by: Kammyboo

What do you put in for the password? I cant connect mine up :(. Im using username as 

anything@skydsl|anything

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

hi @GD1  have read through most of the thread, i have a new eero 6 gatway coming today so i can get rid of the TP-link moden router i had in replacment of the sky hub.

but am confused by what everyone is saying on here tbh honest.. lol Internet settings aren't my strongest point.

i have sky superfast FTTC, i currently have a TP-link modem/router set with the PPPoe username password from sky , with the eeros connected within a DMZ, to stop double nating. But from what your saying this shouldn't be possible? i should be using MER (DHCP Option 60/61) for FTTC

the new eero 6 allows PPPoe, so was going to remove the TP-link then add in the new eero and input the PPPoe settings. 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@M3rk 

PPPoE is only necessary and works only in Ireland. If you are in the UK then it is DHCP Option 61 or/and IPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD) for authenticating to Sky with the first router that connects to Sky. All subsequent router(s) that connect to that should be set to access point mode which ensures you don't have double NAT, or alternatively, you can route with the second router with double NAT which doesn't usually cause an issue but does with incoming to the house VPN server and an example.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

hi @mae-3  lol well unless i'm miss remembering ( as ive paid for the new eero and apparently they aren't compatible with option 61 ) my current set up uses PPPoe, and i'm in the uk...

@M3rk 

Can you post the setup screen that shows the PPPoE settings and IPv6 PD settings to the forum, and are you using Sky as your ISP as you are the first person I've seen using PPPoE that worked with Sky on the forum in 8 years in the UK!

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@M3rk 

With tp link the dhcp option 61 is in a pppoe format with seperate username and password but are joined together by the router in dhcp option 61 format ie

username@skydsl|password 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

HI @mae-3  will do, am at work for a change, rather than working from home, so will check tomorrow.

...... from what you're saying i'm miss-remembering ... lol...thank you for the quick replies though 🙂

@M3rk 

Is the TP-Link router you use the VR range, eg: VR2800 as an example? If it is then this router/modem supports VDSL MER Sky in TP-Link terminology but this is, in fact, DHCP Option 61.

-------

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MikeACFB 

@mae-3 

You select ppp/atm and once you select sky mer vdsl authentication it submits it as dhcp option 61

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@M3rk 

The only way you'll get the eero to mesh wireless system to work is to configure it in a bridge configuration (access point mode) and connect it to the TP-Link VR range router you are already using to connect to Sky to extend the wireless around your premises.

-------

@mae-3  So I replaced the sky hub with a TP Link w9970, I then have the main eero gateway connected to the TP link, with 2 more eeros around the house. The TP links WiFi is turned off and I have the main eeros gatway IP address in a DMZ within the TP link.

I needed an additional eero for my top floor so bought an eero 6 as the latest software means I can add pppoe, so though I'd be able to loose the tp link completely.

hope that makes sense 

@M3rk 

The TP-Link should be set up as a router that does support DHCP Option 61 to authenticate to Sky with MER VDSL in their terminology. The eero 6 is set up as per these instructions for bridge mode and connected to one of the LAN ports on the TP-Link by ethernet cable:-

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/208276903-How-do-I-bridge-my-eeros- 

-------

Hi @mae-3  , so yes I was having a mental moment, the TP-link is set through (mer) so my initial hope of loosing the tp link and just using eeros is a no go 😞 ......

I'll add the new one anyway as needed to shift one of them upstairs....

but will keep the eeros fully open , not in bridge mode, having the eero gateway ip in a DMZ , appears to work well and stop and issues with double nat'ing with anything connected through the eero mesh WiFi . Also allowing me more control over the eero mesh system. Putting in to bridge mode dumbs down the whole system.

saying that , would appreciate any thoughts on leaving it this way? Does it have any adverse affect ...... ?

@M3rk 

Double NAT isn't as evil as many make out. About the only thing that won't work through it is most VPNs that you host on a server in your house itself. Some state that game consoles have issues but I've never experienced any issues with game consoles when the required ports are forwarded through both routers in the NAT chain. 😀

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion