Discussion topic: Google home AP isolation issue

This message was authored by Steven70Smith This message was authored by: Steven70Smith

Google home AP isolation issue

Hi I've just moved over to sky broadband and everything works fine apart from our Google home and doorbell. I follow the installation process until the internet connection and then I'm told there is a connection but I need to turn off AP isolation on my router. I have logged into my router but can't see any settings for AP isolation. I just have the standard sky hob. Just to add it worked with BT which was our previous BB provider.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

Best Answers
Steven70Smith
Topic Author
This message was authored by Steven70Smith This message was authored by: Steven70Smith Answer

Re: Google home AP isolation issue

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the info and I can update that the problem was my Google 6 Pro was the issue. I tried again today with my wife's iphone 13 and it was straight forward with no AP isolation issue. Now the goole home, doorbell and goole mini all work fine.

It's bitter sweat as I'm glad its sort but now I have to listen to wife brag about her superior phone. So it seems apple works better with google than google does with google.

Thanks

Steve

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Steven70Smith no such setting is available on any Sky hub (or BT hub as far as I know) and frankly I have no idea what Google mean. AP presumably means Access Point.

One possibility if you have the new White Sky Max hub is tgat the Google system does not like the enhanced WiFi security that that unit uses by default. If you think that could be your problem go into the hubs setiings in the My Sky app and click on advanced settings and change tge WiFi security level from WPA3T to WPA2. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrisee wrote:

@Steven70Smith no such setting is available on any Sky hub (or BT hub as far as I know) and frankly I have no idea what Google mean. AP presumably means Access Point.

Access Point Isolation would prevent local devices passing traffic between themselves, with data only moving through the router to the outside world: this can be desirable from a network security point of view because, for example, a device with a resident worm or other malware cannot inflict it on any other within the premises, but it's not exactly ideal for camera/doorbell functionality.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Steven70Smith
Topic Author
This message was authored by Steven70Smith This message was authored by: Steven70Smith Answer

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the info and I can update that the problem was my Google 6 Pro was the issue. I tried again today with my wife's iphone 13 and it was straight forward with no AP isolation issue. Now the goole home, doorbell and goole mini all work fine.

It's bitter sweat as I'm glad its sort but now I have to listen to wife brag about her superior phone. So it seems apple works better with google than google does with google.

Thanks

Steve

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion