Discussion topic: Encrypted sites not connecting.

Bilseyboob
Topic Author
This message was authored by Bilseyboob This message was authored by: Bilseyboob

Re: Encrypted sites not connecting.

OK. Have done that. Lottery website worked pretty quick the first time I tried it but will monitor with other sites for a bit and let you know how I get on. 

Thanks for your help @mae-3 

Bilseyboob
Topic Author
This message was authored by Bilseyboob This message was authored by: Bilseyboob

Internet is being a problem again today. 

Towards the end of last week I had to put the Sky Q back on the Hub wifi because it wouldn't stay connected to the Deco system - unfortunately I can't plug it into an ethernet port without runnning a cable across the floor, which I'm not keen on tbh. 

a site which is giving me a problem today is netweather.tv/live-weather/radar - took minutes to load. 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Bilseyboob 

How much bandwidth have you available on your broadband connection, eg: the connection speed and minimum guaranteed speed (MGS)?

If you have insufficient bandwidth because the Sky Q system is taking excessive capacity that may cause the internet to be slow.

Also, check the DNS setting on the Deco and ensure it is pointing to the Sky router, eg: 192.168.0.1 and the gateway is also set for that on the Deco 192.168.0.1, with these settings the Deco and Sky system should coexist. The subnet mask on Deco should be 255.255.255.0 for completeness in AP mode.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mae-3 

Doesnt sound bandwidth related to me. Even if something is consuming bascially all of the bandwidth you'd only expect to wait 30secs - 1min tops for the site to load. 

@Bilseyboob 

It really does sound like network stalling caused by a router problem to me. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123 

Likely a fundamental design issue with the Sky router. 😎

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Bilseyboob
Topic Author

Pretty sure it's not a bandwidth problem. I get 50+Mbps download pretty consistently on wifi - partly what the Deco was designed to fix as it was patchy before. 

If I understand it correctly, I can't do it the other way around and put the Sky hub into bridge mode and use the Deco as a router right? 

@mae-3 the DNS settings have disappeared from the Deco setup since I put it into AP mode. 

@Bilseyboob 

Unfortunately, the Sky router does not support bridge mode, which is another design issue.

-------

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bilseyboob 

If the Deco is in AP mode and you are still suffering the issue then it suggests its a Sky hub problem possibly. Have you tried disconnecting your Sky Q gear and most other devices temporarily to see if the issue still occurs?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Bilseyboob
Topic Author

@mae-3 @jamesn123 

Seems as though it might be the Sky Q box. unplugged it yesterday and after a while the seemed to work ok. Plugged it back in last night and the problems are back. 

Anything that can be done about this? 

@Bilseyboob

Sounds like an ethernet-switching loop and have you got two routes back to the Sky Hub from the Sky Q mini box, eg: wireless AP and wireless Sky Q mesh?

-------

Bilseyboob
Topic Author

The Sky Q is connected to the Sky Hub on it's wifi as it doesn't seem to want to hold a connection any other way. It doesn't have access to the Deco AP. 

Everything else is connected through the Decos, nothing other than Sky Q using the Sky hub Wifi. 

@Bilseyboob 

Can you do a sketch of the set-up, eg: solid lines for ethernet cable and dotted lines for wireless mesh?

-------

@Bilseyboob 

And can you confirm the Deco AP mesh is in the correct Sky Hub subnet 192.168.0.0/24?

-------

Bilseyboob
Topic Author

Bilseyboob_0-1677666719827.png

Something like this I guess. 

Bilseyboob
Topic Author

@mae-3 missed your other post. 

Since I put the Deco's into AP mode there doesn't seem to be much IP config I can touch, the devices have been allocated 192.168.0.221 & 192.168.0.224 which sit within /24? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion