Discussion topic: Stream remote completely unresponsive

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

Re: Unresponsive Sky Stream remote

I just had the non-responsive remote issue... Sky Stream really is the gift that keeps on giving. Giving me grief. What a steaming pile. It's absolutely not worth more than the £20 I paid for it. I've had better dodgy unbranded Android streaming boxes from China.  

I've just done the re-pairing thing so let's see how long that lasts. 

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

Re: Unresponsive Sky Stream remote

hi @Floydianslip  i seem to remember a few people posting that they were smashing through batteries on the glass TV remote ( i am presuming its exactly the same control ) , maybe a reset / reconnect would help that as well? when i had glass i never had any issues with the control burning through batteries, so maybe a "not properly" bound remote is constantly doing something that the others aren't??

worth trying......

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: Stream remote completely unresponsive

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yes - found the remote was fine by using it on my glass - the puck was the issue 

had a screen when I first turned it on asking to pair the remote and couldn't get any further - remote should already be paired 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
JessH13
Topic Author
This message was authored by JessH13 This message was authored by: JessH13

Ours just skips straight to the Internet connection page as soon as its turned on but the remote does nothing. Guess it's just a waiting game until they open tomorrow to call and get help 🙃

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

My puck remote does this regularly. Usually after pressing the power button to bring the box out of standby. It'll act dead for about 20-30 seconds then suddenly decide to start working. 
I've done a full reset and re-paired it a couple of times but the problem returns. 
It happens with other family members - they've given up on Stream too. 
Waste of time. 

This message was authored by ian2512 This message was authored by: ian2512

Had a dead remote too. Got 3 Streams and one of the remotes just died. Did not reset or then reconnect. Got a new one coming. It is not the puck as it will connect to all the other remotes, just one of the remotes dead as a dodo. Sky replaced it straight away. Also please note the battery in the remote are crap and one set batteries was dead also.

This message was authored by tb22 This message was authored by: tb22

I had problems with the remote when I got the Sky Stream a couple of weels ago. Like you I thought I had not completely taken the pice of paper out on the batteries. Checked and there was still a bit left. Took that out and it still didn't work. Replaced the batteries, still nothing. Gave it a good shake and surprisingly it worked. 

I think (but not sure) that it may go into 'sleep mode' if it's not used for a while, because I often have problems with it working, but the 'shake' seems to fix it.

When I go to turn the Stream on for the first time every day, it takes ages and a few pushes of the 'on button' for it to work. I've kinda just got used to it now.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tb22 I find starting the unit using a single press on the Home button is more reliable. The power button is a toggle first push on second off by pressing it repeatedly you are toggling the puck on and off.

My 3 pucks normally start in under 20 seconds but occasionally take longer I assume when they are checking for updates. Also start up,times are improved if you set power saving to off and enable the stay networked option.  Both Settings are in Start up and Standby.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Pistonhead This message was authored by: Pistonhead

@JessH13 I had the same problem when my Stream box arrived - remote was as dead as a dodo. Phoned Sky and they quickly sent a replacement. In the meantime I had an old Q remote which I found worked with the Stream box (mostly) so was able to complete the setup and it worked well enough until the replacement arrived.

I then found, after numerous attempts at rescuscitating the dead Stream remote, it did suddenly spring to life.

LG OLED65B1 • Apple TV 4K • Sky Superfast BB
JessH13
Topic Author

Update:

Spoke to Sky and spent forever going through the steps I'd already done a million times. Was told the remote works by WiFi even though Sky's own website says its Bluetooth 🤷‍♀️ finally by the end agreed to send a new remote out. Fingers crossed that solves the issue.

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

Hi @JessH13  i know you've gone through multiple try's of pressing 1&3 4&6 7&9 etc , but just incase the following worked for me when I had to reset my remote and it became unresponsive;

With sky stream box off , took batteries out of control, left out for few minutes, put back in , with box still off, pressed 7&9 then 4&6, turned box on , control worked then via IR ( I think ) then was able to follow on screen instructions to pair the remote and then pressing 1&3 when told to, for me 1&3 didnt work unless I had the remote working to a point and then was prompted on screen to press 1&3.

you've probably tried every combination, but you never know , could help 👍

This message was authored by MDJ99 This message was authored by: MDJ99

Mine was dead on arrival yesterday, phoned SKY and very helpful lady took me through reseting the puck and downloading updated software which worked and remote now working.  (Unplug power cable, hold down power button on understide of puck, plug powercable back in and wait for light to flash red and abmer then release)

JessH13
Topic Author

Yes done all these steps but the remote is completely unresponsive. Not even any back-light in the buttons so can only assume it's got some sort of connector issue with the power. Was promised next day delivery of a replacement remote but it hasn't arrived so thinking of ringing and just cancelling all together. More hassle than it seems to be worth at this point when we've got a Smart TV with all the apps on it. 

This message was authored by MDJ99 This message was authored by: MDJ99

One final thing to try, press 7 and 9 for 5 sec and then 1 and 3 after resetting the box.  No backlighting until it's paired and no red LED at all.

This message was authored by Asteroiduk This message was authored by: Asteroiduk

I had this problem yesterday when setting up my Stream puck.... I rebooted the box a couple of times, and kept trying the remote, but got no response either. However after leaving it while I made a drink, I came back to a working remote...

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion