Discussion topic: Harry Potter movies leaving Sky movies today will they return?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Harry Potter Films Can't be downloaded

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @P0tshot it seems the licence (or whatver) for current viewing is up. 

Someone else posted earlier today.

Like most (if not all) TV providers content comes and goes.

It is unfortunate for people making their way through a series when this happens. 

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Harry Potter movies leaving Sky movies today will they return?

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey all,

As a big Harry Potter fan, I'm sad about this too!

Our licence finished in February and we don't yet have a date for the return☹️

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

This message was authored by P0tshot This message was authored by: P0tshot

Re: Harry Potter Films Can't be downloaded

Well that's unfortunate timing! Thanks for the answer 

This message was authored by DavidTilford This message was authored by: DavidTilford

We had all of the Harry Potter movies saved in our Sky library, and they've all be removed without warning. Another reason we're leaving Sky. Terrible service.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DavidTilford wrote:

We had all of the Harry Potter movies saved in our Sky library

There's no such thing as a 'Sky library'.  Unless you've bought content through Sky Store, ongoing availability has never been promised: hard drive space is to facilitate time-shifted viewing, not to store a permanent media collection.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Did you not check the deletion date on them. If you have Sky Q you get a 30 day countdown while with a Sky+ bix you do get to see the actual date.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@DavidTilford wrote:

We had all of the Harry Potter movies saved in our Sky library, and they've all be removed without warning. Another reason we're leaving Sky. Terrible service.

Nothing to do with 'service'. It's a matter of you understanding how On Demand works. As with all providers, Sky acquires the right to show downloaded programmes for a limited time. Once that time has expired, Sky has to remove them. This explains the detail: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-TV/Sky-On-Demand-expiry-amp-deletion-dates/ba-p/2658392

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@DavidTilford if you had recorded them rather than downloading them, then you would still have them. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by DavRox7 This message was authored by: DavRox7

Can you explain why, when I had recorded them, they have been removed from my box? Also, how come if you don't have a lisence anymore for them, you can still charge people to rent or buy them? Seems a bit of a con and poor customer service if you ask me. 

Agreed, it's shocking they can remove shoes you've recorded. What's the point in being able to record them in that case? Think I will be moving too when my current contract is up. Disappointed with such low tactics. My daughter loves watching them and was upset they've been removed. 

@DavRox7 wrote:

Agreed, it's shocking they can remove shoes you've recorded. What's the point in being able to record them in that case? Think I will be moving too when my current contract is up. Disappointed with such low tactics. My daughter loves watching them and was upset they've been removed. 

I imagine you  downloaded them, and you need to understand how On Demand works. See the previous replies in this thread. It's no different with any other provider. All have to comply with licensing obligations.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@DavRox7 wrote:

Can you explain why, when I had recorded them, they have been removed from my box? Also, how come if you don't have a lisence anymore for them, you can still charge people to rent or buy them? Seems a bit of a con and poor customer service if you ask me. 

Store items are avaiable to purchase all the time for customers who don't have a sky movies subscription or want to keep a movie so they don't have to worry about liecense expiry dates

How on earth can you call this a "con"!

It's the fact the movies are still there, but only if you pay for them. If you think Sky don't make money off of that, you're kidding yourself. 

@DavRox7 wrote:

It's the fact the movies are still there, but only if you pay for them. If you think Sky don't make money off of that, you're kidding yourself. 

Who would think that? Of course they do - that's what they're in business for. But most of the price goes to the licence holder, not Sky. Your downloads haven't been removed for that reason. They've been removed because that's what the rights owner requires Sky to do.

This message was authored by PATV+Scunthorpe This message was authored by: PATV+Scunthorpe

If you recorded them off a Sky Cinema channel then they will remain as Sky cannot remove those recordings, but if you downloaded them from On Demand then they must leave.

On Demand and Sky Store are not the same, Sky Store is a platform for the distributors to sell their films, the exact same as Amazon and the iTunes Store.

On Demand is Sky purchasing the rights which allows them to add them to their library, these only last a certain time frame as agreed in the contract and must be removed when the contract expires as they have no legal right to "broadcast" them anymore.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion