Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Dexta22 This message was authored by: Dexta22

Re: Price hike April 2024

Man, insane.

You sign a contract at X price then they can simply say "screw your contract, we're putting the price up 8% , a month after you sign.

So what on earth is the point in having a contract if the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Maddening, they can rip consumers off like this.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dexta22 wrote:

You sign a contract at X price then they can simply say "screw your contract, we're putting the price up 8% , a month after you sign.

Au contraire.  The contract terms explicitly states the price increases (subject to certain parameters).

There is 60 day price protection for new customers.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

What contract?

Did you get some kind of contract from SKY  to sign or review that said,  despite the price we told you, we will be instantly increasing it as soon as we darn well feel like it?

(Removed)

25 years been with SKY,   this is pure profiteering when people are down.

Probably time to get a darn firestick like everybody else.  

Hope Amazon.com one day just buys all the sports with their spare change and destroys SKY and BT sports forever.

Moderator note: Removed unfounded allegations.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Dexta22 the contract you agreed stipulates that Sky can increase their price once per year by 10% or RPI, whichever is higher.

No rip off.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@Dexta22 wrote:

Man, insane.

So what on earth is the point in having a contract if the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Maddening, they can rip consumers off like this.

@Dexta22 Funny that you mention the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on, when it's clear you have no idea what is written in it.

There is no rip off, the price rise is clearly mentioned within the contract that everyone who subscribes to Sky agrees to, ignorance on your part is not the fault of Sky(or any provider that has the same clause).

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Dexta22 wrote:

What contract?

Did you get some kind of contract from SKY  to sign or review that said,  despite the price we told you, we will be instantly increasing it as soon as we darn well feel like it?

Sky won't supply your services unless you've agreed to the terms.  There's no wet ink involved.

If you read the terms (here) you'll see they can  increase it any time they darn well feel like it (subject to once a year etc.)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Daz7 wrote:

Hi 

I recently read that Sky is hiking the prices in April by 6.7%. I think that that's wrong if you are in contract.  When I signed the contract at a certain price for 18 months, that the price I should pay for the 18 months. You can do it with Sky Mobile, no price rise mid- contract. So why not with TV & broadband? 

Much like most services you accept the T&Cs either vocally on the phone when placing the order, or by clicking the actual order button on the website.

All contract documents and T&Cs are always available in your My Sky account under My Messages.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

b) Subject to Condition 10(c), we may increase your Sky Broadband Payment at any time for any reason stated in Condition 15(a) or 15(b) by giving you at least one calendar month’s notice in writin

15. Reasons for changes

(a) We may make changes in accordance with the other Conditions of this Contract for any of
the following reasons:

(i) Our Products are sold as a variable service with variable prices (this means our Products may be changed, altered, improved or added to at Sky’s discretion). For example, we can vary the maximum speeds or capacity of your chosen Product. This ensures that we respond to customer needs and remain competitive;
(ii) We intend to change the way we structure our products and services;
(iii) We are introducing new products, services or features;
(iv) The cost to Sky of providing our Products increases (for example, we have to pay third parties more for use of their infrastructure, or launching other new and improved customer products and services);
(v) Other costs associated with running Sky’s business increase (for example, we invest in improving customer support);
(vi) To introduce new charges where the cost of running our business increases;
(vii)We change the way we provide products and services to you (for example, we develop new infrastructure or technology or we invest in the Sky Network to provide you with a better broadband experience);
(viii)To help improve the security and operation of our technical infrastructure (for example, to prevent misuse of the Sky Network);
(ix) We reorganise the way we structure or run our business;
(x) Valid legal or regulatory reasons; or
(xi) We change the Conditions to make them clearer or easier to understand, to reflect changes in law or to update our contracts from time to time so all our customers are on the same Conditions.

(b) We provide our Products on an ongoing basis and we cannot foresee what may change in the future. This means that we may need to make changes in accordance with the other Conditions of this Contract for reasons other than those set out in Condition 15(a) above.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

How your subscription payment may increase

11.5. We may increase the price of any of your TV subscription services at any time by giving you at least 31 days' notice in writing (unless the circumstances explained in condition 11.8(a) apply when we will try to give you as much reasonable notice as possible) for any of the following reasons:
(a) The cost to Sky of providing services increases (such as when we have to pay third parties more for their content);
(b) We are introducing new programmes, content, products and services;
(c) We are changing the way we structure our products and services;
(d) We are investing in improving our customer support; or
(e) Other costs associated with running our business increase.
If you want to change your Sky channel subscription (in accordance with condition 7.4 or 7.5) and/or, when you are outside your minimum term or new minimum term, end a TV subscription service (in accordance with condition 14.6) because you don’t want to pay the higher price let us know within 21 days of receipt of our notice.
If you do this you will not have to pay the price increase for the channels you remove from your Sky channel subscription and/or the TV subscription service you end (and if your latest bill already includes the higher price we will refund the difference to you in your next or final bill).
11.6. We provide TV subscription services on an ongoing basis and we cannot foresee what may change in the future.
This means we may increase prices for reasons other than those set out in condition 11.5 above.
11.7. During the minimum term, unless it is for a reason set out in condition 11.8 below (where the following increase limits do not apply), we may increase the then standard price of each TV subscription service only once in any 12 month period and the increase will not be more than 10% or the increase in the UK Retail Price Index over the 12 months before we tell you about that price increase, whichever is greater. In addition, any price increase for a TV subscription service will be delayed so as not to apply during the first 60 days of your minimum term in which case the 12 month period referred to will start on the date your price would have increased but for the delay.

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@TimmyBGood , I don't know where you're getting those T&Cs from, but they're out of date if you've had a recent contract change.

IMG_6041.jpegIMG_6042.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

@tarbat wrote:

@TimmyBGood , I don't know where you're getting those T&Cs from,

Linked from here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-terms-and-conditions 

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

@TimmyBGood , I don't know where you're getting those T&Cs from,

Linked from here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-terms-and-conditions 

Based on the T&C amendment sent to me by Sky last month, the T&Cs in that link need updating.

TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by sanbenel This message was authored by: sanbenel

April Increase.

You used to be able to cancel your contract if there was an increase in price mid contract. You only had 30 days to do it. Is this still the case. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: April Increase.

@sanbenel 

Yes, for Broadband and Talk not TV. You need to wait for your email or letter. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

(Removed)

Bottom line, there may be a page somewhere on SKY saying the price you negotiated is utterly worthless and we can do whatever we want but if that's the way they want to play it fine.

(Removed)

This forum removes anything critical and it's manned by a bunch of sky employees. 

No doubt , this will also get hacked apart for being a bit nasty to poor old SKY

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate comments

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion