Discussion topic: No Internet on Activation Date - Urgent Assistance Required

This message was authored by kkcheung79 This message was authored by: kkcheung79

No Internet on Activation Date - Urgent Assistance Required

I am writing to report an issue with my Sky Broadband service. Despite receiving confirmation via SMS and order tracking that my broadband was activated on the 5th of January, 2024, I am currently without an internet connection.

I have recently moved into a flat where the previous tenant also used Sky, which has left me confused about the difficulties I'm encountering with activating my own network. I have attempted troubleshooting by testing all available sockets, but my Sky Hub shows no signs of connectivity (no green or orange lights).

My subscription is for the "Sky Broadband Superfast" plan, and as someone who works from home, a reliable internet connection is crucial for me. I have an engineer booked for the 9th of January, 2024, but I am seeking a faster resolution.

Furthermore, I would like to understand the procedure for compensation due to this period without internet service, as per Sky's policies.

I would greatly appreciate any immediate online assistance you could provide to resolve this issue ahead of the scheduled engineer visit.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Best Answers
kkcheung79
Topic Author
This message was authored by kkcheung79 This message was authored by: kkcheung79 Answer

Re: No Internet on Activation Date - Urgent Assistance Required

@JPR007 @TimmyBGood @Chrisee @JimM1 @GD1 Thanks everyone for helps.

update: Today, an Openreach engineer carried out some work outside my flat. It turns out my setup was fine; the issue was due to broken wires located externally. I'm not sure where exactly as the engineer drove off for an hour, but after returning, the connectivity issue was resolved.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@kkcheung79 activation can happen at anytime up to midnight on the activation day so you will have to be patient. That the previous tenant had Sky is irrelevant as their service will be ceased by Openreach before your connection can be activated. 

If the service is not up by tomorrow the 6th call Sky as they should know what went wrong as Openreach update them over night. Calling before then is a waste of time.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@kkcheung79  Activation can take up to midnight on the day so should be tonight.  No compensation will be forthcoming unless the activation has failed which you won't know until later tonight.

If not activated then you would need to call Sky.  You should also be aware you're using a Domestic service and working from home does not give your connection/service any greater priority over other customers.

Please have a read of this regarding any compensation https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@kkcheung79 did you put the wrong date in your post? If an engineer is booked for 9/1 is that because the activation failed or that was the date booked? That the previous tenant has Sky broadband is as I posted above irrelevant. Currently Openreach are switching service between copper and fibre and in some exchanges have stopped accepting orders for services over copper. There are other potential reasons but that is the most likely.

The fact you use what is sold as a domestic service for work does not give you any priority unfortunately.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
kkcheung79
Topic Author
This message was authored by kkcheung79 This message was authored by: kkcheung79

9th Jan booked for engineer to check the "no internet" issue.

@kkcheung79 you will have to be patient until the engineer visits and hopefully sorts the issue.

kkcheung79
Topic Author

@Chrisee @GD1 Thanks for your both quick replies. 

kkcheung79_0-1704458170171.png

kkcheung79_1-1704458586925.png

SMS: received at 08:02 from SKY (not openreach):
"Hi. Great news, your Sky Broadband is now active. To find out how to set up your hub go to ........"

Sorry if i'm wrong, it's been already activated, "no internet light" (either green or orange) indicates the connectivitiy don't really work. 

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@kkcheung79 

If you have a MASTER socket and on FTTC superfast package, the only place to plug the router in is there

attempt's to try other socket's in theory will not work and if activation failure then it is the waiting game.

@kkcheung79 the texts often preceed the activation hence the  advice to wait until midnight What is surprising is Sky booked an engineer as they normally cannot do that until the day after activation. All you can do is to connect the hub to the master phone socket (or the ONT if over full fibre). Once the service is activated the hub should connect.

kkcheung79
Topic Author

Thanks - I'll be waiting and check tomorrow. 🙂

kkcheung79
Topic Author

@Chrisee @GD1 @JimM1 

Thanks again for all of your helps.

kkcheung79_1-1704460704465.png

kkcheung79_2-1704460737788.png

I've recently moved into a new flat, and I've come across a socket type that I'm not familiar with – it's not the standard Openreach socket I was expecting. Could any of you kindly help me figure out if my wiring is set up correctly?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@kkcheung79 

That's a four module third party faceplate, populated with an RJ45 (ethernet) socket, what appears to be two BT Jack sockets and a blanking strip: Openreach would never use such a thing, and it certainly raises the possibility that there isn't an external copper connection to the Openreach network on the other side.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@kkcheung79 

The plug-in microfilter is a standard bit of kit, but doesn't help if the socket it's plugged into doesn't connect back to the outside world.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@kkcheung79 You should check the property thoroughly to make sure there are no other sockets. It doesn't look to me like that is a Master socket, and sometimes the internal wiring is setup so that only the master socket will provide a data connection. 

I for one in my property have the phone line coming in from the outside (early 2000's build so before anyone thought internet and connectivity was important), into a junction box in a star configuration, which then splits off to other sockets. It's been re-wired to obtain better speeds (it was causing interference - a really good Sky engineer came out and did it) so that only one of the sockets acts as the master, and all the others do not provide a data connection as a result. 

I think your connection could possibly be live, so you need to ascertain that's a live socket so to speak. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
kkcheung79
Topic Author

Still no luck, will wait for openreach engineer to have a look. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion