Discussion topic: U & Dave etc

This message was authored by Wibbly-Woo This message was authored by: Wibbly-Woo

U & Dave etc

Why are they bothering to change the names of Dave, Yesterday  etc ?

Seems to be a total waste of time and money ?

Most people will just continue to call the channels Dave, Yesterday etc etc.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam Answer

Re: U & Dave etc

@Wibbly-Woo wrote:

That would be a question for UKTV. Sky have nothing to do with how a group of channels choose to identify themselves. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam Answer

@Wibbly-Woo wrote:

That would be a question for UKTV. Sky have nothing to do with how a group of channels choose to identify themselves. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ask the BBC as all UKTV channels are 100% owned by them

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Wibbly-Woo 

I have not read they are changing. These are not Sky channels. I believe they are owned by UKTV.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Daniel0210 wrote:

@Wibbly-Woo 

I have not read they are changing. These are not Sky channels. I believe they are owned by UKTV.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/uktv-big-revamp-new-u/

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Here is the official press release;

https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-to-launch-masterbrand-u-on-16th-july-2024/

Must agree, it does seem a pointless and odd rebrand.

Using the & within a its names, seems just not right.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

I'm guessing its just a way for them to one a single identity across their channels, like back in the day when it was UKTV Gold, UKTV History and UKTV Gardens. I always hated the initial rebrand they did creating channels like Dave and Eden, and thought removing the UKTV part just created loads of separate identities amongst the channels.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

According to UKTV’s Chief Marketing Officer, Penny Brough, this move aims to address the previously disjointed nature of their offerings, ensuring a more integrated viewer experience.

As part of this rebranding, UKTV’s family of free-to-air channels will undergo name changes to align with the new ‘U’ brand. The channels will incorporate the ‘U’ prefix, transforming into:

• U&Dave
  • U&Drama
  • U&Yesterday
  • U&W

The streaming service, UKTV Play, will change its name to just ‘U'

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

I don't understand why some are lower case and other capitals/capital letter , the pay channels are getting 'U&' at a later date aswell

It_s_all_about_U_pdates.kogofgopah (1).png

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@TimmyBGood wrote:

According to UKTV’s Chief Marketing Officer, Penny Brough, this move aims to address the previously disjointed nature of their offerings, ensuring a more integrated viewer experience.

As part of this rebranding, UKTV’s family of free-to-air channels will undergo name changes to align with the new ‘U’ brand. The channels will incorporate the ‘U’ prefix, transforming into:

• U&Dave
  • U&Drama
  • U&Yesterday
  • U&W

Yeah - what horrible names and branding in my opinion. I wonder how much they spent on brand consultants to come up with that 😀

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

• U&Dave
  • U&Drama
  • U&Yesterday
  • U&W

Yeah - what horrible names and branding in my opinion. I wonder how much they spent on brand consultants to come up with that 😀

I agree @MarkGoldsmith 

I don't like any of it myself but find the rename of UKTV play to just U  to be the most bizaree 

I wonder who on earth (assuming they did) they used as as part of any Focus groups

I perhaps understand they feel the need to highlight the channels form the UKTV group of channels but, personally, I think they would have been better reverting back to UKTV in the names that had it & adding to those like Alibi that I don't think had.

P.S. Maybe I am biased as I possibly watch UKTV channels the most of any 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

It's all just marketing piffle.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Timelord2018 wrote:

I don't understand why some are lower case and other capitals/capital letter , the pay channels are getting 'U&' at a later date aswell

It_s_all_about_U_pdates.kogofgopah (1).png

What a mesy design display that is.

Mix of fonts, colour and font case

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by redsky88 This message was authored by: redsky88

Stunningly awful re-brand. Right up there with Channel 4's decision to move away from the actually quite good 4OD and All4 streaming names and go with Channel 4. 

Wibbly-Woo
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wibbly-Woo This message was authored by: Wibbly-Woo

If the channels are 100% owned by BBC - It will be the licence payer (ie us) who pays for this rebrand - I wonder how much this rebrand cost ?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion