Discussion topic: U & Dave etc

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: U & Dave etc

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wibbly-Woo wrote:

If the channels are 100% owned by BBC - It will be the licence payer (ie us) who pays for this rebrand - I wonder how much this rebrand cost ?

No if it's BBC Studios as that is a private company, not everything run by the BBC is licence fee supported

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )
Wibbly-Woo
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wibbly-Woo This message was authored by: Wibbly-Woo

You can bet that a fair percentage of the cost was met by licence fees - otherwise why would BBC hide it ?

"The exact cost of this rebrand hasn’t been publicly disclosed, but it represents a significant step..."

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Wibbly-Woo 

As @Annie+UK indicates, BBC Studios owns and operates a whole raft of assets intentionally kept separate from Licence Fee funding, although profits are supposed to go back to the BBC itself and so reduce the License Fee cost to UK households.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Wibbly-Woo wrote:

You can bet that a fair percentage of the cost was met by licence fees

That's specifically not permitted by the Charter: Licence Fee income mustn't go to BBC Studios operations .  One might however suggest that bogus branding exercises do reduce a profit margin which would otherwise help subsidise the License Fee itself.

https://www.bbcstudios.com/about-us/about-bbc-studios/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Must admit, I had no idea that UKTV came under BBC Studios.

I thought, not sure why it's sat under the Discovery arm somehow, not that I recall ever really looking.

I watch a fair bit on the UKTV channels, Drama, Yesterday and Alibi mostly, never watch Dave or W and if I'm really struggling to find anything, will watch a repeat/repeat/repeat of Only Fools from UK Gold.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@lettice wrote:

Must admit, I had no idea that UKTV came under BBC Studios.

I thought, not sure why it's sat under the Discovery arm somehow, not that I recall ever really looking.

I watch a fair bit on the UKTV channels, Drama, Yesterday and Alibi mostly, never watch Dave or W and if I'm really struggling to find anything, will watch a repeat/repeat/repeat of Only Fools from UK Gold.

@lettice Parts of it did used to sit with Discovery for a while. Shares were sold and Discovery ended up with former UKTV channels Really, Home and Good Food, with the BBC taking what they have now.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

The graphics for the rebrand reminds me of ceefax 

I think marketing department have impunity about rebrans as they can always "you think that's bad rebrand, well it is not as bad as that social media website:

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

This message was authored by RobertS83 This message was authored by: RobertS83

Change is inevitable and there will be some sort of marketing strategy in it which won't make much sense to those without a marketing background or degree

Sky Stream with Sky Ultimate
EE Full Fibre 500 Broadband
Fire TV Cube
Xbox Series S
Roku Streambar
This message was authored by oramax This message was authored by: oramax

What a stupid rebranding. It's only UKTV that think it's nice and tidy now. The punters were quite happy. This kind of idiotic meddling will just confuse viewers and lead to the demise of these channels.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@oramax wrote:

What a stupid rebranding. It's only UKTV that think it's nice and tidy now. The punters were quite happy. This kind of idiotic meddling will just confuse viewers and lead to the demise of these channels.

Made your views known to BBC Studios/UKTV/U+?

This message was authored by Ianrover This message was authored by: Ianrover

Hope HMRC aren't as confused as I am. 

Wibbly-Woo
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wibbly-Woo This message was authored by: Wibbly-Woo

@RobertS83 I have a degree but haven't got a clue why they rebranded!! 

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

Well, you have to give them some credit for landing Cher to front their launch campaign!

https://theknowledgeonline.com/news/uktv-spends-big-as-cher-heads-rebranding-campaign 

This really made me smile - it's very well done. Simple, cleverly done, gets the point across, and Cher looks like she's having a ball (probably due to her humongous fee) 

Much better than Sky's recent Andrew Garfield campaign which is, for me, utterly baffling. 

@Mister_Dalek wrote:

This really made me smile - it's very well done. Simple, cleverly done, gets the point across, and Cher looks like she's having a ball (probably due to her humongous fee) 

Much better than Sky's recent Andrew Garfield campaign which is, for me, utterly baffling. 

Yes, that is done very well, enjoyed it.

Agree on the recent Sky one if it's the one about a train. Its a bit naff and yes baffling is the right choice to describe it.

No idea on who the guy is in it, if is that his name, not heard of him.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Notice all the programme tiles for today and going forward have changed.

A bit of a mix of old and new logos in the TV shows>channels U section

The DOGs are a bit in your face in caps
Voice with u and drama etc works ok, but it displays it on screen as 'you and drama'.

Was hoping  you could say 'u ampersand drama', as that is how I read them all...

Notice 'u and w' does not work with voice, it brings up a mix of content that contains the words  'you'

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion