Discussion topic: Premier League Match Replays

This message was authored by alex190 This message was authored by: alex190

Premier League Match Replays

Hi All,

I'm thinking of subscribing to Sky Sports (with Sky Q).

Can anyone tell me if full 90-minute replays of Prem matches are available to watch, like last season?

I looked at a friend's Now platform and there are only highlights, which I don't like.

I work shifts, so watching live games at the weekend or in the evenings isn't an option. It also looks as if only five of the ten fixtures from last weekend were broadcast live anyway.

Thanks very much.

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Premier League Match Replays

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@alex190  5 games is the maximum of live games allowed during a normal weekend round 

from what I can see sky have dropped the full replays

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @alex190 

unlike NOW TV If you have SKY Q then replays shouldn't be needed as you should be able to record (assuming they are on SKY) and watch later when you have time. 

The only thing to watch out for is overruns - but then record the next programme just in case

alex190
Topic Author

Hi again and thanks both for your replies.

I understand that you can record live games on Sky Q, but that still leaves the other five games that have not been broadcast in full.

I was looking forward to a couple of those at the weekend, and was expecting to see them in their entirety in Sports On Demand a day or so later, like last season.

The highlights were poorly edited and gave no real impression of how the sides played over the whole 90 minutes.

Given the choice, which would you prefer - 25 minutes or 90 minutes?

Ah well........

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@alex190 wrote:

Hi again and thanks both for your replies.

I understand that you can record live games on Sky Q, but that still leaves the other five games that have not been broadcast in full.

I was looking forward to a couple of those at the weekend, and was expecting to see them in their entirety in Sports On Demand a day or so later, like last season.

The highlights were poorly edited and gave no real impression of how the sides played over the whole 90 minutes.

Given the choice, which would you prefer - 25 minutes or 90 minutes?

Ah well........

Sorry but I don't follow the football so I could be wrong but AFAIK there aren't  any full games in catch up for anything not broadcast live 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Yes it seems so.

Sky are not showing full replays this season, as they have done previous seasons.
All they had available was one Game of the Day, the 5pm live 'recordable' showing.
Shame, as it was good to choose a recording of a non Sky live from 3pm Saturday.

Do agree the replays are very often poorly edited.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
alex190
Topic Author

Hi lettice,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be nice to know the thinking behind what is an ill-judged decision.

To me it devalues the service. Highlights have been available free on the net for a while (and of course on MoTD), which must leave Sky Sports subscribers wondering what they're actually paying for.

There are several big players eyeing up Prem rights in the UK - Sky would do well to give customers as much as they can whenever they can, before they lose the opportunity to do so.

All the best.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

One can only guess, but my guess would be that Sky weren't getting the viewing figures to warrant continued showing of full 90 minutes.

Personally, I'm much more inclined to watch highlights than a full 90 minutes, even for my own team unless it was a particularly action packed game. Usually I just watch MotD and only watch Sky for the live games. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@alex190 wrote:

It would be nice to know the thinking behind what is an ill-judged decision.

To me it devalues the service. Highlights have been available free on the net for a while (and of course on MoTD), which must leave Sky Sports subscribers wondering what they're actually paying for.

Yes have not seen anything or much mention of it from Sky or elsewhere, so maybe it was not as popular as we both thought
Like you say, highliaghts are avaialble in a lot of places and often done better..
They have though lately and in the Q rails been pushing and promoting their own highlights from all games a lot more for this season, so maybe that is their intention going forward.

Maybe worth airing your thoughts also to Sky via Viewer relations. They do pass on comments to the relevant teams.

I recently sent an email to them praising some of the Sky Transfer coverage and they passed on and got a very nice reply from them.

Send an email to the Sky Viewer relations team.
ViewerR@sky.uk
I will do the same after this weekend.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

I don't think the late time slots helped either although right restrictions probably prevented them from showing any earlier 

I can't remember if they were available the following day in full 90 mode ?

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

When did they start showing the full games recorded of the 3pm games?

Was it something they did pre pandemic?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

@nolte wrote:

When did they start showing the full games recorded of the 3pm games?

Was it something they did pre pandemic?

Sure I only saw this from last season 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Wasn't the old Match Choice feature the full 90 minutes where they selected one game and all the rest were behind the Red Button? Then they started showing them all back to back on Saturday nights and presumably made them available on Catch Up too? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

@oj01 wrote:

Wasn't the old Match Choice feature the full 90 minutes where they selected one game and all the rest were behind the Red Button? Then they started showing them all back to back on Saturday nights and presumably made them available on Catch Up too? 

@oj01  According to this it wasn't, it was extended highlights and iirc it's correct,but the main game was definitely a full 90 mins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_First

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

IIRC there was a temporary change to the blanket restriction on broadcasting in full the 3pm Saturday games during the last two seasons due to the pandemic that has been removed this season. If Sky had bought the rights they would have the full games it will be a restriction by the EPL or the FA. . 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion