Discussion topic: Premier League Match Replays

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

Re: Premier League Match Replays

@Chrisee wrote:

IIRC there was a temporary change to the blanket restriction on broadcasting in full the 3pm Saturday games during the last two seasons due to the pandemic that has been removed this season. If Sky had bought the rights they would have the full games it will be a restriction by the EPL or the FA. . 

You're blurring the lines here. There was a temporary lifting of the blocked broadcasting hours, which allowed live matches to be broadcast during the traditional closed-window of 2:45pm - 5:15pm. It's been normal service for the past couple of seasons though. 

This season (2022-23) is the first of a new 3-year contract for UK broadcasters and the rights are no different to what were available in the previous 3-year cycle (i.e. the one that ended in May 2022). Sky's rights then, and now, include extended/long-form highlights to the 180 matches not shown live in the UK. 

The difference is that Sky are taking a different approach to exploiting them... it's now entirely digital/connected devices. The viewing figures for the linear broadcasts were minuscule and their focus now is to offer them via the app and YouTube.

This message was authored by PGhfhvgujbh This message was authored by: PGhfhvgujbh

No you can't. And they cancel the recordings at half-time- something to do with server capacity. Discovered this with Man U v Liverpool which I returned home at half time to watch, but was cancelled at half time, unbeknownst to me. Still annoyed now, thus this response to your query. If you don't mind 3 minutes of highlights, then it's for you. 

This message was authored by richard+Codmore This message was authored by: richard+Codmore

I am very disappointed, as I can no longer watch the replays of matches not shown live.   THis is a major loss of service

What is going on?

Richard Codmore

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@richard+Codmore wrote:

I am very disappointed, as I can no longer watch the replays of matches not shown live.   THis is a major loss of service

What is going on?

Richard Codmore

@richard+Codmore  It would appear that sky have dropped this service which they are entitled to given the clause in your subscription contract that services and content are variable and subject to change 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by GW1968 This message was authored by: GW1968

I too am so upset with sky. I pay a fortune to watch my fave team play and can hardly ever watch it live (due to work and kids and family etc), so the full 90 minute replay for me was ideal. I'd avoid the score and look forward to recording it and watching when I could.  I' now thinking of cancelling as the costs arent worth it for 30 min highlights and the odd 90 minute game, plus BT sport costs and Amazon Prime Costs for game they have.  EPL on the tv is just too expensive now. Ive been a sky customer for 20 years and even pre covid they showed 45 minutes of highlightes.  Very poor in my view. I think it free sat for  me and the kids going forward and Match of the Day (which I also pay for - currently 4 platforms, going to one)

This message was authored by auttezza This message was authored by: auttezza

Maybe if they didn't deliberately sabotage those viewing figures by constantly scoreblabbing during the 5pm kick off, they'd get more viewers for both? But then, what would us mere subscribers know eh, lol

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion