Discussion topic: BT sport & Eurosport Merger

This message was authored by Tracy24582 This message was authored by: Tracy24582

BT sport & Eurosport Merger

So BT have signed a 650mill deal with Eurosport to do a merger, there are currently 2 Eurosport channels on the sky sports package, does that mean I've signed up to sports to ultimately end up losing 2 channels & have to pay extra once they create their new channel! 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: BT sport & Eurosport Merger

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tracy24582 wrote:

So BT have signed a 650mill deal with Eurosport to do a merger, there are currently 2 Eurosport channels on the sky sports package, does that mean I've signed up to sports to ultimately end up losing 2 channels & have to pay extra once they create their new channel! 

Hi @Tracy24582 

I guess no-one here will know what the merger ultimately will mean

I would, however, point out that the Eurosport channels are not part of SKY Sports  subscription but part of the base Signature package (or older Entertainment pack)

Tracy24582
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tracy24582 This message was authored by: Tracy24582

Thanks for info, I could never find out what sky sports were actually included, it said 8 channels, but just said including cricket football F1 & golf but never specifically stated what channels 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Tracy24582  The 8 channels within sky sports package are

sky sports main event 
sky sports premier league

sky sports football 

sky sports cricket 

sky sports golf

sky sports F1

sky sports action/nfl

sky sports arena 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

As well as the eurosport channels, sky sports mix, sky sports news, and sky sports racing are all part of sky signature pack

I wasn't aware the announcement was being made tomorrow as to future of eurosport and bt sports.

I do watch quite a bit of eurosport so I'm curious as to what will happen to cycling coverage.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

There have been plenty of official reports on their plans from both BT and WBD (Eurosport), ever since the merger was announced.

I believe we will find out the new name today, but I think you should expect:

1. New brand from August
  2. Less channels overall, with the content rights from BT Sport and Eurosport combined in the schedules
  3. At least one 4K UHD channel
  4. BT Sport app and Eurosport Player to close with all channels available via Discovery+ if you have a Sport subscription

I suspect you will find out how this impacts Sky and other platforms channel packges closer to August than now. 

If I was in charge of WBD (Warner Bros. Discovery), I would want to extract maximum subscription money out of my new sports offering and sell it as a new standalone pack on all platforms, so the content that you used to get on Eurosport as part of the Entertainment pack would no longer be available. 

But, WBD and Sky have a good, long standing relationship (free Discovery+ anyone?), so, who knows! 

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

No doubt they will find a way of increasing the bills for the customers, despite these tough times

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Super+Anthony 

Given the alternative would involve convincing certain sports 'stars' to take a pay cut and making the infrastructure around them rather less lavish, then yes, I'd imagine that's quite likely.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

The internal name that Discovery and their partners have been using is TNT SPORTS.

Whether that would work in UK, not so sure.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

TNT Sports has been confirmed as the new name for BT Sport from July 2023 with Eurosport continuing as before folding in at a later date.

Announced at BT today, and confirmed here: https://media.discoverysports.com/post/tnt-sports-the-future-name-for-bt-sport 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@lettice wrote:

The internal name that Discovery and their partners have been using is TNT SPORTS.

Whether that would work in UK, not so sure.

TNT it is. Confirmed here 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c87e8344-b1eb-11ed-be6b-8488e113f360?shareToken=8c229116a3c56c574...

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

That is out of order, I had already posted that confirmation, some mod has hidden it! 

Grrrr... official confirmation here, as per my hidden original post: https://media.discoverysports.com/post/tnt-sports-the-future-name-for-bt-sport 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@stereohaven 

There is a spam filter that sometimes automatically hides posts with links 

The important sentence for eurosport:

• Eurosport, in the U.K & Ireland only, will become a part of this new brand at some time in the future. There are no plans to change the Eurosport brand in markets where it is available outside of the UK & Ireland.

I'd guess this is when the current carriage deal with sky comes to an end

In the discovery announcement:

• TNT Sports will present the live sports rights carried by BT Sport today, while Eurosport in the U.K & Ireland will continue to be available in the same way as it is today before being rolled into the new brand at some time in the future.
---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@nolte 

Makes sense and than later HBO will be added probably. Odd that they have chosen a name that has absolutely no brand recongition in UK at all.

This message was authored by FIL77 This message was authored by: FIL77

If and when all this comes together under the same umbrella, do we expect it to be app based or actual channels. ? 

I ask as I am not a Q user and would feel even more short changed from my subs. 

Not having access to the full Paramount+ or Discovery+ is bad enough... 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion