Discussion topic: Landline Phone not Working

This message was authored by GyFU This message was authored by: GyFU

Landline Phone not Working

Sky TV, Sky Q box and superfast35 broadband installed and activated today. Everything working fine except the landline phone. It's cordless and plugged into the phone connection on the back of the hub so it's an internet phone, or would be if it worked. There is no dialling tone though the 3  cordless phones all powered up. Can't make any calls or receive any. Have tried using my mobile to call them but they don't ring. Have been through the help guides but nothing worked. I should add that I retained my landline telephone number from my previous supplier Virgin. I was wondering if the transfer from Virgin to Sky has worked properly or other issues. Any help w.elcome please.

Best Answers
GyFU
Topic Author
This message was authored by GyFU This message was authored by: GyFU Answer

Re: Landline Phone not Working

@Mark39

@Mr+Flibbles+86 

Success I have managed to get my phone to work!!

During my research I came across advice from BT which said when connecting your cordless phone for internet calls you must use the existing phone cable. I have been using an identical cable (bought recently on the advice of a Community member) but still was not able to make or receive calls so this morning tried the original phone cable and Hey Presto it worked!

I understand The Sky Retrievals Team are currently working on my case so I hope they will see this posting as problem solved and cease their investigations.

I would have thought one cable was much like another but seemingly not?

Thank you to all those Community members and others who have tried to help me over the past couple of weeks.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GyFU wrote:

It's cordless and plugged into the phone connection on the back of the hub so it's an internet phone, or would be if it worked. 

Are you using a standard phone- the same as you would plug into the wall socket? An Internet phone won't work with Sky VOIP.

GyFU
Topic Author

@Mark39 

Thanks Mark.

According to the Sky guide a standard cordless phone will work with VOIP. However, it got me thinking so I connected my phone back to the Virgin connection and it's still working there. Then it dawned on me that my current Virgin contract finishes on 8 March so they are using the telephone line for my use until then. From the 9th March it will be available to Sky and I should then be able to make VOIP calls using my existing cordless phones. We shall see.

@GyFU I'd say you're right. If you come across problems after the 8th, let us know and we'll get you some,help, if needed.

GyFU
Topic Author

@Mark39 Thanks Mark.

GyFU
Topic Author

@Mark39 

All my Virgin services including my landline phone were due to be disconnected yesterday 8 March. This morning at 7am I tried to use the Virgin connected phone and it still worked! I then plugged the phone line into the connection in the Sky hub and nothing - can't make or receive calls. I'm loathe to call Virgin to find out what's happening as it's usually an hour's wait to get through to speak to someone.

As I retained my landline telephone number, presumably Virgin and Sky would have liaised over the transfer and if so something seems to have gone wrong? Broadband and TV working fine.

I would welcome any help to get my phone up and running, please.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@GyFUWhen was your services with Sky supposed to have been activated on and which type of router did Sky send you from the link below.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/which-sky-hub-do-you-have-no 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I will escalate this to our community chat for you. Please look out for an email or chat bubble. We look forward to speaking to you

@GyFU I've just seen your post, as has Sky! They'll be able to guide you during the online chat,they'll be inviting you to join later today.

GyFU
Topic Author

@Mr+Flibbles+86 

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I will not be able to chat until after 6pm today so perhaps you will email me please. If necessary I can chat tomorrow?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@GyFU wrote:

@Mr+Flibbles+86 

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I will not be able to chat until after 6pm today so perhaps you will email me please. If necessary I can chat tomorrow?

@GyFU 

Sky don't use email for this.

Look out for an email and also a blue/red speech bubble on the bottom of your forum page. Once that speech bubble appears you only have 48 hours to instigate the private chat or it will close automatically so don’t miss this opportunity. Please make sure that your email/private message notifications are switched to ‘on’ to avoid missing the alerts. Replies on the chat are not instant so keep checking the forum.

This link explains how the Chat process works
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

@GyFU the chat stays open for,48 hours, as @Daniel0210 posted, so if you log in to the forum this,evening, the 'bubble' should still be there for you to respond to.

GyFU
Topic Author

@Mark 39

@Mr+Flibbles+86  Daniel0210

I chatted with the Sky techie and he suggested I call the order recovery team who have direct contact with OpenReach. Tried them this morning but couldn't get any answer. Perhaps they don't work weekends? I also reconnected my phone line to the existing Virgin connection and can still make and receive calls - but not when it's connected to the Sky broadband hub.

It's disappointing that I have a contract with Sky to provide me with a "landline" phone which they are not fulfilling. My contract started on 3 March but still no phone. And it seems I have to continue to chase around the various departments to find someone who can activate my line - what's happened to customer service!

Nevertheless, I'll try again contacting the order recovery team on Monday unless in the meantime someone knows how to move things on more quickly?

@GyFU wrote:

Nevertheless, I'll try again contacting the order recovery team on Monday unless in the meantime someone knows how to move things on more quickly?

Unfortunately, no. The Order Recovery team are best placed to help, but aren't contactable via the forum's escalation route.

GyFU
Topic Author

@Mark39 

Thanks Mark I'll try again on Monday.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion