Discussion topic: Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sweetheart4321  Sky Q is a satellite box, to have Sky over the internet it would be Sky Stream.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GD1 

Not to mention that we chose to remove ourselves from the burden of European regulation over such trivial matters; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@sweetheart4321 wrote:

im watching sky pn satelite myself,and it really annoys me when these things eventually end,because i cant get sky using broadband on my telly,because i was told u have to have a q box to do that,sky dont really think about there customers.

Do you have a broadband service?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GD1 

SES says 19.2E can reach over one hundred million properties, but even then 1Q is going to be repurposable as a data platform rather than just television broadcast (and could be moved elsewhere if a changing European market doesn't justify its continued use in that orbit)

ASTRA 1P, a classic wide-beam satellite, will support SES’s prime TV neighbourhood and enable content owners, private and public broadcasters across Germany, France and Spain to continue broadcasting satellite TV channels in the highest-picture quality in the most cost-efficient manner.

ASTRA 1Q, a next-generation digital satellite with both wide beams and high-throughput spot beams, will be able to support direct-to-home (DTH) operations like ASTRA 1P. In addition, the fully flexible ASTRA 1Q is customisable on orbit and can be deployed easily to other orbital positions, enabling SES to serve the dynamic needs of its video and data customers well into the future.

The current satellites operating at SES’s prime orbital neighbourhood of 19.2 degrees East serve an unparalleled 118 million households or over 43 percent of all European TV homes. Specifically the majority of satellite homes in Germany, France and Spain are being served by the ASTRA satellites.

https://www.ses.com/press-release/ses-orders-two-state-art-satellites-its-prime-tv-neighbourhood-ser... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
sweetheart4321
Topic Author
This message was authored by sweetheart4321 This message was authored by: sweetheart4321

ive got sky go on my computer which i can watch on broadband on my computer,but on my smart tv i can only watch the programes that are down on the tv listings for that day,

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@sweetheart4321 wrote:

ive got sky go on my computer which i can watch on broadband on my computer,but on my smart tv i can only watch the programes that are down on the tv listings for that day,

A Sky Q box connects to your broadband service, and gives you access On Demand and Catchup and a number of streaming apps on your TV.

sweetheart4321
Topic Author
This message was authored by sweetheart4321 This message was authored by: sweetheart4321

yes i do know that,but ive had my sky hd box for along while now,and have not changed yet,i dont really like changes really,they keep trying to get me to have a sky q box,so maybe in the end it might be an advantage to have one.

This message was authored by Psych67 This message was authored by: Psych67

Re: furious

@sweetheart4321 @caesarome I have had a similar conversation with Sky today and yesterday; I have a Sky + HD box and I was also advised that this Box is no longer being manufactured or supported by Sky-I contacted them because I noticed over the past 3 days that my ITV (Channel 103) is very blotchy colour-wise, pixelated at times, and they said there is some incompatibility with ITV-many people on this Sky forum have said that is rubbish....and so I am left wondering a) why am I having problems watching ITV (not all of the time) but a few times throughout some shows) and b) why are Sky telling me to upgrade to Sky Q or Sky Streaming Puck and that my Sky + HD box is incompatible with ITV? Surely if this *is* a marketing ploy they can be sued for misleading their customers and tricking them into upgrading? I am beyond livid...have spent over an hour and a half on the phone with them, over the last two days. 

@Annie+UK Sky know that I have a Sky + HD box (not an SD box) and yet they have advised me the same thing-that Sky + HD is not compatible with ITV anymore, and that they will not service/send out an engineer for Sky + HD boxes as they no longer make them. It's all ridiculous! I'm fuming. I've been with Sky for 18 years. Maybe it *is* time for a change. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Psych67 wrote:

@Annie+UK Sky know that I have a Sky + HD box (not an SD box) and yet they have advised me the same thing-that Sky + HD is not compatible with ITV anymore, and that they will not service/send out an engineer for Sky + HD boxes as they no longer make them. It's all ridiculous! I'm fuming. I've been with Sky for 18 years. Maybe it *is* time for a change. 

We have Sky+HD and all ITV HD channels work perfectly here 🙄

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )

@Annie+UK Stop bragging:). 😂 I honestly am at a loss-Sky are giving me one explanation for the issue, and all these lovely Sky customers are shedding doubt on what Sky have been advising me. I am genuinely confused. I hope that our apartment block's engineer who should be attending tomorrow, can rule out any dish-related issues.  😊 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Psych67 wrote:

@sweetheart4321 @caesarome I have had a similar conversation with Sky today and yesterday; I have a Sky + HD box and I was also advised that this Box is no longer being manufactured or supported by Sky

That is correct these boxes have not been manufactured for a numbers of years now and are also not supported, it doesn't mean that channels like ITV HD are not viewable because as already stated they are. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

@MarkGoldsmith @CarlP I actually did submit a complaint to Sky today re-the advice that I was given re-why my ITV channel seems pixelated (they said it's because ITV and Sky + HD boxes are no longer compatible)-*three* different Sky reps replied to my email. It feels very impersonal when they do reply. The only team who I spoke with who had an empathy for my plight was the Retentions Team-in fact he advised that he, too, has a Sky + HD box, and given what I pay per month, I have a right to be able to view ITV (channel 103) without issue. He also said that he would advise me to buy a Sky + HD box off Ebay or other such site-he said that would resolve my issue. I don't quite understand how, but he seemed compassionate re-my issue (and happened to be UK based) where all the others (bar one) I spoke with were off shore.   

@caesarome I hear you. And thank you:).Sky sent me my Sky +HD box in 2021, so it's not "old" but I do hear you. And so I'm left wondering-what is wrong with my ITV channel? I'm hoping the apartment block's engineer who should be attending tomorrow, might be able to diagnose a simple fault (and simple solution) with the dish. Pray for me:). 😊

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Let us know tomorrow how you get on !

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion