Discussion topic: Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: furious

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Psych67 wrote:

@caesarome I hear you. And thank you:).Sky sent me my Sky +HD box in 2021,

Even the very latest Sky+HD boxes were manufactured before 2016. Sky almost certainly sent you a refurbished box.

This message was authored by Psych67 This message was authored by: Psych67

@caesarome I will definitely update you here once I hear from my managing agent-they may only update me next week. I'll be in touch again soon. 😊

This message was authored by KIMAJY This message was authored by: KIMAJY

Re: Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

@TimmyBGood  well then, if they don't have to monetize satellites they ought to be planning to slash the cost of their future services down to sensible levels, i.e. about a third of what they are now. By the time they abandon fixed phone lines and dispense with satellite dishes, the next significant solar flare is going to bring everything to a standstill. 

It's bad enough being told in an area where BT's "always on" latest Fusion internet package relies on a mobile phone signal that doesn't reach indoors here (and is therefore defunkt in the box from Day 1) ... but how, pray, are the elderly and infirm going to manage on a backup mobile telehone handset that doesn't work ? The potholed road network is a symbol of what's happened as a result of a failure to invest and maintain infrastructure - so it all goes digital and one of these days we will all learn why that was such a disastrous decision by a short-sighted  technology-dependent generation with no vision or imagination. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@KIMAJY wrote:

@TimmyBGood  well then, if they don't have to monetize satellites they ought to be planning to slash the cost of their future services down to sensible levels, i.e. about a third of what they are now.

Quite possibly, but Sky is three times older than the streaming companies and was founded in a very different environment, so downscaling the business to the extent needed to cope with that kind of income reduction would be extremely painful.

By the time they abandon fixed phone lines and dispense with satellite dishes, the next significant solar flare is going to bring everything to a standstill. 

Failure of digital systems is something we are all going to have to anticipate.  That doesn't negate the fact that one-way satellite broadcasting is a technology which has had a good innings, but is now approaching the end of its era.

It's bad enough being told in an area where BT's "always on" latest Fusion internet package relies on a mobile phone signal that doesn't reach indoors here (and is therefore defunkt in the box from Day 1) ... but how, pray, are the elderly and infirm going to manage on a backup mobile telehone handset that doesn't work

That's supposed to be the remit of Ofcom, but realistically they can't anticipate every individual circumstance.  Never the less, PSTN switch-off is almost certainly going to happen.

? The potholed road network is a symbol of what's happened as a result of a failure to invest and maintain infrastructure - so it all goes digital and one of these days we will all learn why that was such a disastrous decision by a short-sighted  technology-dependent generation with no vision or imagination. 

Two different things there, I'd suggest.  It's in the interest of network providers to maintain their infrastructure (unlike local authority road repairs) but that doesn't negate the fundamental vulnerability of such things to external forces.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by KIMAJY This message was authored by: KIMAJY

The difficulty with that response is that it's along the lines of 'oh well, it's all going to go that way so we'll all just have to deal with the shambles that ensues'.

Anyone outside of the "core focus" of the masses can just get on with it and be gradually disenfranchised as they are left behind. 

(removed)

Moderator note: Removed innapropriate remarks.

This message was authored by terry876xxx This message was authored by: terry876xxx

Lots of confusion here about sky plus hd boxes.My sky sports chanells were cancelled by skh on 1st may 024 everything else works ok even tnt.

Can anyone tell me if i should still get sky sports on my box which i have just bought to replace my old standard box.im getting he feeling im being deliberately misled by sky to get a q box.

please help.

@terry876xxx yes, a Sky+HD box is capable of receiving Sky Sports. Are you seeing an upgrade message? Or channel not available message? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@terry876xxx 

You'd need to resubscribe to the Sports add-on after the forced automatic cancellation, which was applied to everyone with hardware that couldn't support the upcoming transmission change.  As @Mark39 indicates, an HD box is compatible with the broadcast, but what's unclear is if Sky will accept a request for what's effectively a new subscription product on an end-of-life platform: they aren't obliged to do so.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by terry876xxx This message was authored by: terry876xxx

hi timmy thanks for useful info

Terry

Hi Mark 39

Thanks i think i have the answer to my question my sky hd plus box is still oki

Terry

This message was authored by Toon24 This message was authored by: Toon24

I'm not happy either!  I purchased my own 1tb box & have also been told by them that it will no longer work soon, and will have to (rent) a Q box off them in the future. So much for saving the planet? Another perfectly good box going to waste! 

No! You' are wrong accually! I have a HD box and have been told by Sky this month it has to be changed for a Q box too!

@Toon24 read the posts below. Your Sky+HD box will remain capable of receiving Sky channels for the foreseeable future.

It's only SD boxes that will soon stop being able to receive them.

@Toon24 wrote:

No! You' are wrong accually! I have a HD box and have been told by Sky this month it has to be changed for a Q box too!

Nope. Sky are wrong in this case. They seem to have been incorrectly briefed. 

Sky must ve aware of what box I'm using. So why tell me it needs changing then?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion