Discussion topic: Since yesterday I have had the message on my sky box+ there is a problem with your hard disk drive.

This message was authored by Chantal59 This message was authored by: Chantal59

Since yesterday I have had the message on my sky box+ there is a problem with your hard disk drive.

Since yesterday I have had the message on my sky box+There is a problem with your hard disk drive. I can not get on demand and I can not record. Can someone help.

C.A.Taylor

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Since yesterday I have had the message on my sky box+ there is a problem with your hard disk dri

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more
Chantal59
Topic Author

Re: Since yesterday I have had the message on my sky box+ there is a problem with your hard disk dri

It just says the planner cannot be rebuilt in diskless mode.

C.A.Taylor
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Chantal59
Topic Author

Hard disk drive error

I have had the hard disk drive problem since Sunday, have tried everything possible to know avail, have come to the conclusion the sky boxhd+ has had it, I can still watch sky tv but I have lost everything in my planner, I cannot record or download anything on demand. So it looks like I will have to upgrade to sky Q or sky glass, which is going to cost me. Also with sky Q I have been told I need another aerial, which I'm not sure is allowed where I live. 

C.A.Taylor
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Hard disk drive error

@Chantal59 yes, it's likely that the hard disk has failed, as they all do eventually. If you don't want to upgrade, you'll find used Sky boxes available cheaply (don't pay more than around £30) on ebay etc. Just look for a DRX890 or DRX895 model.

You shouldn't normally need a new dish for Sky Q, but it will need an updated LNB (the bit on the arm).

Chantal59
Topic Author

Thank you for the advice, if I was to get another Sky hd+ box on eBay for example, do I need to keep the slot card from my old device, because doesn't that have all the information from my account with sky, and do I have to notify sky. 

C.A.Taylor
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Chantal59 wrote:

Thank you for the advice, if I was to get another Sky hd+ box on eBay for example, do I need to keep the slot card from my old device, because doesn't that have all the information from my account with sky,

Yes, keep your viewing card

and do I have to notify sky. 

No. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Chantal59 You'll just need to pair your viewing card to your new box. Instructions to do this can be found in Annie's FAQ's in the link on one of her posts above. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
Chantal59
Topic Author

Thank you 😊 

C.A.Taylor
Chantal59
Topic Author

Re: Replacement Sky HD+ box

@Mark39 My boyfriend has an old sky box, however it's not HD can I use this to replace my skyhd + box where the hard disk drive isn't working. 

C.A.Taylor

@Chantal59 yes, you can do that. You'll need to pairmyour Viewing Card as @oj01 posted. Do be aware, though, that as it's a non-HD box, you'll see the big red banner on BBC channels warning you of the impending closure of SD broadcasts - and that will appear on your recordings too.

Chantal59
Topic Author

@Mark39 Thank you for replying to my question. I appreciate it very much. 👍

C.A.Taylor
This message was authored by Island59 This message was authored by: Island59

Hi, I've had the same problem since early this morning! 

The cynic in me says that this might be a way of getting all existing Sky+ users to upgrade their hardware as Sky + is no longer supported.

I have tried all the suggestions on the forum which have been a great help but to no avail and my initial thoughts are to source a second hand Sky+ box as a replacement.

I am currently mid way though an 18month contract, if I was to upgrade and replace with SkyQ,  does that mean I would be tied into another 18 month contract from date of upgrade?

@Island59 wrote:

The cynic in me says that this might be a way of getting all existing Sky+ users to upgrade their hardware as Sky + is no longer supported.

All hard disks fail eventually. Yours must be at least 8 years old. Which do you think is more likely - Sky somehow infiltrating your Sky box or old age failure?

I have tried all the suggestions on the forum which have been a great help but to no avail and my initial thoughts are to source a second hand Sky+ box as a replacement.

That would resolve the problem, at least temporarily. Just choose a DRX890 or DRX895 as they're the most recent.

I am currently mid way though an 18month contract, if I was to upgrade and replace with SkyQ,  does that mean I would be tied into another 18 month contract from date of upgrade?

Yes, it would probably mean a new 18 months contract, but you might want to check directly with Sky.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion