Discussion topic: Input 2 Lock Indicator not locked - advice pls

This message was authored by LQ2 This message was authored by: LQ2

Input 2 Lock Indicator not locked - advice pls

I have a Sky Plus HD box and for the past week I am getting intermittent loss of signals on some channels and when I check the signal it shows as Input 1 Lock Indicator Ok but Input 2 Lock Indicator not locked.  I keep having to restart the box but then after a while I get the on screen loss of signal message. 

I checked the Input cables at the back of the box and I noticed that Input 2 cable has no wire (copper?) sticking out like Lock 1 cable – could this be the reason?  An engineer in the past had to fix these wires when I was getting a message saying your box is initialising..  Should there be a wire sticking out of the cable in the Input 2 cable?  Can I fix this myself or should I call Sky for an engineer?  Appreciate any advice. Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Input 2 Lock Indicator not locked - advice pls

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You need two cables from the dish, one for each input, you'll need someone to take a look or move to Sky Q and they will fix it when Q is installed

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@LQ2 Assuming the connector is the problem, and if you're handy with DIY you may be able to remove the connectors at the end of the cables, and fit new F-connectors yourself. There's plenty of clips on You Tube showing how it's done.

LQ2
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply.  I can't see any wire poking out of the Input 2 cable like i can see in Input 1 cable - should i be able to see some wire?

@LQ2 strictly speaking there shouldn't be any wire poking out of the cable/plug. Occasionally the odd thin strand of the outer copper braid 'escapes' when the plug is fitted, but it makes no significant difference to the performance of the cable, good or bad..

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Mark39 wrote:

@LQ2 strictly speaking there shouldn't be any wire poking out of the cable/plug. Occasionally the odd thin strand of the outer copper braid 'escapes' when the plug is fitted, but it makes no significant difference to the performance of the cable, good or bad..

@LQ2 

The one thing that must not happen is that any of thin strands of the sheathing braid wire touch the central core cable as this will cause an electrical short

BTW The outer sheathing braid must make a good contact with the outer sleeve of the plug

LQ2
Topic Author

Hi,  I'm still having issues with the signal on ITV and Sky news mainly.  Other channels seem to be ok.  Can anyone advise if Sky would send an engineer to look at this issue i am getting with my box?  I dont have sky protect insurance? I have a Sky plus hd box.  Thanks

@LQ2 wrote:

Hi,  I'm still having issues with the signal on ITV and Sky news mainly.  Other channels seem to be ok.  Can anyone advise if Sky would send an engineer to look at this issue i am getting with my box?  I dont have sky protect insurance? I have a Sky plus hd box.  Thanks

hi @LQ2 

Unfortunately not - SKY no longer support SKY + boxes - you would need to get a quote from a local independent Satellite Installer

LQ2
Topic Author

Thank you.  If i took out sky insurance now would they then be able to send out an enginner do you think?  

@LQ2 wrote:

Thank you.  If i took out sky insurance now would they then be able to send out an enginner do you think?  

I think you have to already have Sky Protect Insurance, I doubt a new policy would cover historical faults

LQ2
Topic Author

Thanks Annie for your reply.  I just seem to have too many obstacles with sky at the moment.  If i stay with Sky i am forced into getting Sky Q becaue they wont fix my current sky plus box but if i upgrade i lose the Red button/text feature which i know sounds silly but my elderley father uses this all the time.  Plus i have to get a new dish as my old one is on the chimney! 

@LQ2 

You also may wish to read some other notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

I think it may be worth getting a quote from a local installer in case it is just an old connection/cable issue

LQ2
Topic Author

Thanks for your previous replies.  Still having signal issues mainly with no signal on ITV1 - is there any reason why its just happening on that channel?

The Dish is misaligned (not all transponders are getting through, thus some channels may be affected and others not)
• The Tuners in the sky box
• The input sockets on the Sky box
• The plugs on the cables
• The cables themselves
• The Sockets on the dishes LNB
• The dishes LNB has gone faulty for the connections the box is using
• You have plugged your Sky+ box into a dish that is only compatible with Sky Q

Please Note: Sky+ is now a legacy service that Sky are replacing with their newer services: Sky Q (all issues will be fixed during a Sky Q install), Sky Glass and Sky Stream

You may have to call out a local satellite installer, unless you already have Sky Protect insurance, to check/fix your system, another option is to move to Sky Q, as during the move all issues will be resolved as part of the install, there is also the option of Sky Glass or Sky Stream, if you want to move away from satellite TV and use the Internet

@LQ2 it's quite possible for dish problems to affect only a small number of channels, or even just one. Most likely this will be a dish alignment problem or a failing LNB, particularly if it's more than 5 years old.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion