Discussion topic: Will Sky Stream connect to EE Smart Hub 5GHz band?

This message was authored by igmack This message was authored by: igmack

Will Sky Stream connect to EE Smart Hub 5GHz band?

My Sky Q box will not connect to the 5GHz band of my EE Smart Plus router. This means it will not connect to the Wi-Fi extender right next to it, but connects to the distant router itself on 2.4GHz. 
This is a major issue as the router is a long distance, and then the signal to the Sky Q is poor. 2Mbs on a 1 Gigabit service! Buffering makes streaming unusable and I have to switch to my Smart TV. 

My question is, if I move to Sky Stream, will it connect to the nearby extender, and the 5GHz band?

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Will Sky Stream connect to EE Smart Hub 5GHz band?

@igmack wrote:

My Sky Q box will not connect to the 5GHz band of my EE Smart Plus router. This means it will not connect to the Wi-Fi extender right next to it, but connects to the distant router itself on 2.4GHz. 
This is a major issue as the router is a long distance, and then the signal to the Sky Q is poor. 2Mbs on a 1 Gigabit service! Buffering makes streaming unusable and I have to switch to my Smart TV. 

My question is, if I move to Sky Stream, will it connect to the nearby extender, and the 5GHz band?

Sky Stream can connect to a 5Ghz WiFi signal, but a boosted signal is not adviseable. Stream pucks are very sensitive to network fluctuations and WiFi extenders can often struggle to maintain a stable enough signal for them to function with any reliability. 

igmack
Topic Author

Thanks for that. The EE devices are extenders creating a mesh, not boosters. They are very reliable. 
So, unlike the Sky Q box, the Stream pucks will connect to the 5GHz band without a Sky router?

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@igmack Stream is designed to work on any broadband connection that meets the minimum requirements 

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @igmack 

I've recently moved from BT to EE (even though they are the same company) and have the Smart Hub Plus  and Smart WiFi Plus device. I have a number of pucks connected via 5Ghz both to the hub and the plus device and all working flawlessly.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
igmack
Topic Author

Thanks a lot, guys. Very helpful. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion