Discussion topic: WiFi vs Ethernet

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: WiFi vs Ethernet

@Super+Anthony ahh ok. It should be limited to 100mbps. It sounds like your maxing out your connection speed to the hub so the service should operate smoothly with little to no lag. If it's not, that'd point to either a faulty puck, an issue with your isp or internal network causing the lagging 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

Have you ran a speed test via the Netflix app? Because those speeds you're quoting are not to the Puck because it's technically impossible for the Puck to have a 500mbps WiFi connection as it's only a 100mbps network adapter... 

Thats the ethernet port that is capped at 100 mbps. Although the Glass/Puck won't use anything even close to 100 mbps so its possible to have a 500 mbps connection via WIFI from the puck but it will only use less than 10% of that available bandwidth.

Aye, the Stream devices support WiFi 6 👍🏻

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Super+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

The issue is not with the WiFi as I have just swapped it this morning. The issue is with the Ethernet and obviously needs a software issue.. Also there is no need to do anything with the 500 which I won't as that is what I pay for with my broadband but thank you for your help, much appreciated 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Super+Anthony wrote:

The issue is not with the WiFi as I have just swapped it this morning. The issue is with the Ethernet and obviously needs a software issue.. Also there is no need to do anything with the 500 which I won't as that is what I pay for with my broadband but thank you for your help, much appreciated 

@Super+Anthony  Had switching to WiFi solved the issues you were having ?

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
Super+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Thanks @Jporch316 i have only started today so it will probably take a couple of days to see. I will update the forum as and when. Thank you again for reaching out

WiFi solved my network dropouts. Too many variables involved with the ethernet cables / switching etc 

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Positive vibes thank you @Jporch316 

Unfortunately it just did it again. The tennis on Eurosport 4K tennis just paused, then got a black screen, then it went back. This is all on WiFi. 

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Super+Anthony who's your ISP? We were previously with BT on 100mbps gfast and now on 500mbps Fibre with Sky and we've not had an issues at all over WiFi or Ethernet .  

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Positive vibes thank you @Jporch316 

Unfortunately it just did it again. The tennis on Eurosport 4K tennis just paused, then got a black screen, then it went back. This is all on WiFi. 

One possible cause could be momentary drop outs in your connection. Most streaming services use a buffer that would mean a drop out wouldn't be noticeable. The tv guide (although I'm not entirely sure!) doesn't keep the same amount of buffer meaning a brief connection issue is more noticeable. 

the other option is you have a buggy puck. 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Super+Anthony Important to remember that latency is just as important as speed with streaming. What is you ping when you do a Speedtest ? 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast
Super+Anthony
Topic Author

@Jason+Golding It was 390. What I did do after was did a reboot of the router as maybe it's a good idea wherever you swap from Ethernet to WiFi or vice versa and then it shot back to nearer 500 again. Will carry on with WiFi, but maybe that was the issue I was having with Ethernet? Am on my second puck. There could also still be the possibility of a software issue needed?

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

morning all and @Jason+Golding did below this morning. Much better this morning and near to the 500 that I get regularly 

Download 465

Upload 350

Netflix 498.28

Both pretty good

Let's see how I get on this week

I need to repeat I do think stream is fantastic and an improvement from Q

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

It seems much better and more reliable via WiFi. Hope I have not tempered fate now😉

@Super+Anthony wrote:

It seems much better and more reliable via WiFi. Hope I have not tempered fate now😉

Hate to say I told you so .....

I was pleasantly surprised when I swapped mine to WiFi a year or so ago ...

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

@Jporch316 it's only that Ethernet is supposed to be more reliable, but in this case never assume this!

The main thing is it's working so far and I love stream. So more superior to Q

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion