Discussion topic: Stream released before it was ready

This message was authored by David8850 This message was authored by: David8850

Stream released before it was ready

Sky do not seem to have got this right. 

When looking for channels movies, music etc comes up but no documentaries.

When fast forwarding we do not see thumb nail images as to see where we are when forwarding or going back just a percentage.

We have to reboot the stream far too often due to it freezing up.

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Stream released before it was ready

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@David8850 wrote:

If you are referring to the TV Guide, that doesn't surprise me as there aren't really enough channels only dedicated to Documentaries. At the top of my head the only one that comes to me that is a dedicated documentary channel is Sky Documentaries. To pretty easy to find shows that are documentaries. You only need to do a voice search for "Documentary" and loads of documentaries from various channels pop up in the search results.

When fast forwarding we do not see thumb nail images as to see where we are when forwarding or going back just a percentage.

This is a bit trickier. Whilst i agree this can certainly be improved the issue will be that the fastforwarding will work differently depending which app/service you are watching on. How it works within shows that are being viewed via the various on-demand apps is completely at the discretion of the app owner and not Sky.

I certainly don't have this experience, since i switched over from WIFI to ethernet.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@David8850 

Stream was actually released more than two years ago, in October 2021 alongside the Glass television sets.  It just wasn't available on its own for another year.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

@David8850 wrote:

If you are referring to the TV Guide, that doesn't surprise me as there aren't really enough channels only dedicated to Documentaries. At the top of my head the only one that comes to me that is a dedicated documentary channel is Sky Documentaries. To pretty easy to find shows that are documentaries. You only need to do a voice search for "Documentary" and loads of documentaries from various channels pop up in the search results.

This is a bit trickier. Whilst i agree this can certainly be improved the issue will be that the fastforwarding will work differently depending which app/service you are watching on. How it works within shows that are being viewed via the various on-demand apps is completely at the discretion of the app owner and not Sky.

I certainly don't have this experience, since i switched over from WIFI to ethernet.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@David8850 

I too find fast forwarding to be impossibly erratic on Sky Stream, so much so that I now try not to do it at all. It seems to be a limitation of the hardware RAM cache which prevents it being able to show thumbnails on Sky content when moving fast through it. 

I also agree that the device requires rebooting far too often due to freezing. I am on a full fibre 500Mbps connection via ethernet (with WiFi turned off) and it still decides to lock up once a week or so for no logical reason whatsoever. 

I've never had to reboot a device as often as I've had to do so with my puck. Don't get me started on the remotes either. I'm on my third. The first two just died, again for no logical reason. The twisting trick worked on one of them for a few weeks but then it gave up. I don't see myself continuing with Stream for much longer. The rest of the family hate it. 

David8850
Topic Author
This message was authored by David8850 This message was authored by: David8850

I am also on my third remote and second puck in less that six months 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Jones_The_Cat Yes, FF & RW certainly can be a painful experience and is probably the cause of most of my swearing at the TV.  In general terms I find I have more success by using the voice commands of Forward 4 minutes, back 20 seconds etc (still not ideal though).

As far as rebooting goes I moved from Glass to Stream exactly 7 weeks ago and have so far only had to reboot the puck twice which is less than I had to do on my Glass TV.  TBH it's about the same as Sky Q which I had to reboot every now and again.

Of course everyone has different expectations and experiences of streaming but I have now got so used to the convenience of watching what I want when I want that even with the Sky streaming issues I would not consider returning to Sky Q.  I haven't ruled out moving to a Firestick or Apple TV though.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion