Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Clive88 wrote:

Here's my comments as a new user 

1.   The Home screen is far too messy and full of distractions.  When I switch on I just want at the top of the screen a simple choice of my selections or live TV. 

I don't want to have to wade through all the big video adverts for films and series. They should be optional, or move down to the bottom.

2.  If I switch off for a few minutes I don't want to come back and find I've got to hit the Home button and wait for the Puck to wake up again. The power taken by the thing is trivial, especially compared to a TV recorder. Yes I know there are regulations to save energy, but applying this to the Puck is rather silly. 

Like I said I'm a new user, so if I've been missing something here please let me know. 

Check that networked standby mode is ON and  overnight power saving mode is OFF in the settings and it should avoid the delay in waking up when you turn it on for the first time.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Clive88 This message was authored by: Clive88

Yes I have those settings. 

This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

Interesting, but rumoured where?

I would have thought that older TVs and devices with the NOW app would struggle supporting UHD channels. I've got one of those Now/Roku sticks in a drawer somewhere and I wouldn't expect that to work

This message was authored by DazLad1 This message was authored by: DazLad1

"Some content is cloud recorded onto Sky's servers, but even that will only be around for as long as Sky have access to keep it. I've seen cloud recorded sporting events that Sky are only allowed to retain for 48 hours after broadcast."

You forgot to add that some programs are not available straight after the event...eg, MotoGP - if you can't watch it on the weekend, for the first week after you can only watch it when TNT have a replay...if you can't watch it at those times you have to wait until it's not shown by TNT again...then you can watch it on steam BUT half the time certain parts aren't available on steam!  I've missed so much since going to steam & I'm now desperate to get back to being able to record programs & watch them when I want...not when I'm told I can watch them!

This message was authored by gk16 This message was authored by: gk16

Great feedback and review and so far I mirror all you've said 

just a tip for anyone new to stream, if you find the lip sync is slightly off (which it was for me) go to home, scroll right to the bottom to settings and then picture and sound, then  sound and change digital audio output HDMI to PCM stereo. 

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@gk16 wrote:

Great feedback and review and so far I mirror all you've said 

just a tip for anyone new to stream, if you find the lip sync is slightly off (which it was for me) go to home, scroll right to the bottom to settings and then picture and sound, then  sound and change digital audio output HDMI to PCM stereo. 

and lose access to Dolby 5.1 and Atmos audio by doing so... 

This message was authored by dino9898 This message was authored by: dino9898

good tip just switched those settings as it was a bit slow to "wake up" slower then me even ...

This message was authored by Smax53 This message was authored by: Smax53

Looking to switch to sky stream as seems a cheaper than sky+hd , that I have, might miss the record function as a pensioner, but can you restart programs if you miss them

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@Smax53  In most cases you don't need to record as the program remains there.  If you have tried or have a streaming service like Netflix for instance you will know you don't have to record as the programs are there anytime to watch. This is the same.  If you spot something you want to watch at a future date you can add it to what is called your 'Playlist' which acts as a reminder of shows you fancied but those shows still remain even if you haven't added them to your 'Playlist'.   Most 'live' shows has a 'Watch From The Start' button if you miss the beginning.

As always there are exceptions but they are only few and far between but for general viewing the above holds true. 

This message was authored by Jayded This message was authored by: Jayded

Genius, thanks!

This message was authored by Smax53 This message was authored by: Smax53

Thanks very much for the information 

This message was authored by Bill051 This message was authored by: Bill051

"Most 'live' shows has a 'Watch From The Start' button if you miss the beginning."

Sometimes I have problem with this on Sky Sports News . Just now I was watching live and tried to skip back to the start. There is a message saying that I need to upgrade to watch it. I think it's because the same program is also on a premium channel.

If you think you'll miss the recording function - you 100% will miss it!!

I hate the streaming function that Sky provide & mainly because the buffer of the stream is on their servers (as opposed to other streaming systems like BBC, ITV etc. etc.).  The problem with that is that there is no buffer and, as you always get, there is a dropout of the WiFi for split seconds which causes massive problems watching what you want - this isn't a problem if the buffer is on your equipment but the fact that it's on the Sky Server means that the service is complete and utter nightmare!!

Not all programes are saved either - I watch MotoGP and I can't watch it by streaming until over a week afte the race - I am restricted to watching it when  they want me to (you get a "Next on" option only)!  When it does become available, there's always the start of  finish missing!!

I've been on streaming of over 6 months and the programes I've missed simply because the service is complete rubbish, is so annoying!  I am now desperate to get back onto being able to record things - I unfortunately have another 12 months with Sky!

This message was authored by mufngruf This message was authored by: mufngruf

DazLad
That was the same problem that I had... but when i called to see about getting a dish and my old SkyQ system back, they were fine with it....after all, Ik wasn't leaving sky.. just changing my package (so to speak).
I yanked the streaming paraphenalia out and plugged a brand new Q-box in to the newly instealled dish.. and ROCK'N'ROLL baby.....

@Bill051 I always get a problem with skipping backwards and forwards, in that wherever I am in the program, it will go right back to the start and play you a full 5 minutes of adverts!!

I am certain that this is deliberate coding in Sky's service to force you into paying the exctra money to be able to FF through adverts - which I belive has got to be illegal but I can't prove that.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion