Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by Ben1980 This message was authored by: Ben1980

Re: Sky stream , honest review

I cant get my head around why they dont just release a Sky Stream App for 3rd party devices like the Apple TV. 

Removes all hardware costs - unless the £40 activation fee generates that much profit. 

The can still charge for multiscreen etc for multiple streams. 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Ben1980 wrote:

I cant get my head around why they dont just release a Sky Stream App for 3rd party devices like the Apple TV. 

Removes all hardware costs - unless the £40 activation fee generates that much profit. 

The can still charge for multiscreen etc for multiple streams. 

Because Sky Stream is a full TV service, not an app. 

All Sky need to do is offer UHD HDR streams via the pre-existing NOW app. A more expensive tier of Boost (£10pm) would see a high take up I'm sure. 

Most likely an overreaction but rumors circling on other forums sites Sky are preparing to bring the two services together. 

They close the Now TV community this week 

I doubt it given Now was quoted in the Sky Sports+ release 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Ben1980 wrote:

Most likely an overreaction but rumors circling on other forums sites Sky are preparing to bring the two services together. 

Interesting... I didn't know they were closing the NOW community. 

Perhaps they'll just open up a NOW area on these forums, with seperate areas for NOW TV and NOW broadband?

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Ben1980 wrote:

Interesting... I didn't know they were closing the NOW community. 

Perhaps they'll just open up a NOW area on these forums, with seperate areas for NOW TV and NOW broadband?

Well it would appear that NOW broadband at least is slowly being phased out. If you take a FTTP package through NOW, its called "NOW Broadband provided by Sky" and the T&Cs state that "your contract is with Sky and not NOW" and that "Sky will support and manage all aspects of the service". I'm guessing once all the NOW broadband customers are eventually on FTTP that would enable them to completely close NOW broadband, as all the customers would be on a Sky contract and service anyway.

I've always thought that NOW TV would actually be a good Sky Go app for the Sky Streaming platform. I would expect some sort of new version of Sky Go to be released at some point, designed for the streaming platform, but surely it would make more sense that being a modified and rebranded version of NOW TV, rather than an small update on Sky Go.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Leec This message was authored by: Leec

Stay with SKY Q if you can peeps. They have a few known about issues with the sky stream including a sound synchronization issue. I have just canceled my sky TV and broadband because of this issue. I would happily stay if they sent me a Q box back but unfortunately they want £120. A bit unfair so I cancelled my subscription immediately for both. 

Because they know about the issue you could actually ask for all your previous months money back. When they sell you the product they don't tell you the issues and so are liable for any known about problems.

Good luck 🤞 

This message was authored by Paul278 This message was authored by: Paul278

I would say don't get Sky stream. Everyone you pause or try and fast forward a programme that is already started you have to sit through the same 2:30 minutes of ads. Really poor interface, I will be getting rid of TV subscription as soon as I can. Woeful

This message was authored by Moggey This message was authored by: Moggey

My advice is stay with Sky Q , i had some amazing sets from Glas  on my Sky Q box i liked now they gone forever , can;t record with stream so bye bye sky

If only that 1000 hour cloud recording feature was a real thing. 

@Ben1980 wrote:

If only that 1000 hour cloud recording feature was a real thing. 

A 1000 hour cloud DVR which the customer actually had control over would be much more useful than the current playlist.  

This message was authored by AndySCFC This message was authored by: AndySCFC

Bit late to this but had stream over a year now after getting really fed up with failed Q recordings and having to reboot box stream is much better once you get used to it and picture and sound quality is second to none it's not flawless but overall very happy

This message was authored by CoopsJC21 This message was authored by: CoopsJC21

Here's my review... It's schitt.

-Frustratingly slow

-Constant freezing and crashing, have to pull power cord to reboot it

-Sometimes just won't turn on, have to pull power ord to reboot it

-With Sky+ is search for a film and chances are I could just download and watch it for free/included in price, now virtually every film I look for is £3.49 rental or more

-Apps are all laggy, fast forward and rewind jump about and often don't work.

-'Continue Watching' keeps forgetting what I was watching somi have to search again and find where I was.

-No consistency in apps... they all work differently to one another. Can't turn off various parental warning messages etc.

-Paid to skip ads, yet I have to manually fast forward every ad break and some I can't fast forward.

-Voice only search option... often doesn't understand what I'm saying.

If I could get Sky+ back I'd have it in 

a heartbeat and pay 3x the Stream price for it.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CoopsJC21 wrote:

-With Sky+ is search for a film and chances are I could just download and watch it for free/included in price, now virtually every film I look for is £3.49 rental or more

If you subscribe to Sky Cinema then there's no difference in the content catalogue between Sky+ and Sky Stream.  Stream will however search other non-Sky apps for titles, which Sky+ cannot do.

-No consistency in apps... they all work differently to one another. Can't turn off various parental warning messages etc.

Sky has no control over how other app providers choose to author their products: Netflix, Disney, Amazon and Apple are all orders of magnitude bigger than Sky .

-Paid to skip ads, yet I have to manually fast forward every ad break and some I can't fast forward.

'Ad skipping' is fast-forwarding.

The Ad Skipping pack doesn't mean that you won't see any adverts. It just lets you fast forward through the ads using the relevant remote control buttons and on screen menu options for what you're watching. It doesn't fast forward ads in:

• Live TV; or
  • Other TV apps, like Netflix, YouTube or Spotify.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by DANNO75 This message was authored by: DANNO75

We have no signal failure on Sky Q and engineers have been unwilling to fix existing due to health & safety. 

Sky have suggested I move to Sky Stream. However it will cost a lot more per month than it currently does (due to discounts). 
I've been informed I take a new 24 month stream contract, transfer package across BUT been told that I can downgrade my contract on stream at any stage after. Such as removing sports, cinema etc is this the case? 

I'm somewhat skeptical Sky would allow me to tailor my Stream Contract. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@DANNO75 if you have been told that by a Sky staff member during a phone call make a note of the date. If there is an argument later complain and Sky can listen to the call recording. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion