Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Your IP needs to be Uk based for services to work and if your ip location keeps changing Sky would pick this up as you utilising the service outside of your registered address, which is a breech of contract and therefore the service would either be terminated or you would be charged additional fees.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

mirrors90
Topic Author
This message was authored by mirrors90 This message was authored by: mirrors90

^^ nailed it.

Sky apparently keep a close eye on ips to make sure that 

1) you're in the country

2) you're not subscribing then handing out boxes to your mates / family.

so it goes against your terms and conditions and I think they would at least write to you to ask you to stop using any vpns if you were to use one. 

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by Terrible+Support This message was authored by: Terrible+Support

I have decided to drop SkyQ, it is too costly but in any case I find I am not using it much, certainly not enough to justify the price. I am looking for an alternative and Sky Stream seems like a good choice, but what is the difference between say the SkyQ entertainment pack and the equivalent on sky stream?

mirrors90
Topic Author

@Terrible+Support

impossible to say, everyone's on personalised deals 

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by Terrible+Support This message was authored by: Terrible+Support

So it isn't just a straight swap stream for dish then. Good to know. 

mirrors90
Topic Author

Nope. Haggle! 

Sky Stream x 3

I detect a miss-understanding. I didn't mean the price, I meant the content.

mirrors90
Topic Author

Sorry!

It's very much an on demand box, live tv is almost secondary. Has integrations with all the major platforms so you ask for something and it finds you it on whatever service (Netflix, Disney etc)

I love the fact I can now use 4k in any room, with q we are limited 

Sky Stream x 3

That sounds rather better. 4K in every room? I have slow internet, only 40 MB/s but it should be sufficient for me.

But what about things like series links? I can be quite a way behind on the few shows I watch. I am assuming there is no record facility, why would there be if it is in the cloud, but how long does it say in the cloud? If it is months that's fine, if only a week its not.

mirrors90
Topic Author

It's at the mercy of the vod providers.

Sky only keep sky content. Everything else is via iPlayer, itvx etc.

internet speed: I have 45mb, can watch 2x sky 4k streams without any issues - third is too much 

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Terrible+Support wrote:

I detect a miss-understanding. I didn't mean the price, I meant the content.

@Terrible+Support Stream does not have the same content as Sky Q, it is significantly reduced.  The following link is to a list of what channels are and are not available on the streaming platform: 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass 

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

So is the play list similar to recordings? I am very much hesitating to swap from Q cause of the recordings and the lag. I spoke to a friend of mine who is an engineer and he advised not to swap at this stage

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Super+Anthony wrote:

So is the play list similar to recordings? I am very much hesitating to swap from Q cause of the recordings and the lag. I spoke to a friend of mine who is an engineer and he advised not to swap at this stage

It's not similar. You don't have a big hard drive in the cloud which you can store programmes on and delete at your leisure. 
The playlist is just a link to a programme on a streaming app or on Sky's servers. 
If you are hesitant then stick with Q. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Super+Anthony wrote:

The playlist is only similar to recordings on Sky W in that you can see a list of all the shows you have added to your playlist quite easily.

Aside from that they  are completely different. Sky Q records on the hard drive in to it Sky Q box (provided you have free space). The playlist functionality is you adding a show to your profile and it then creates a link to that show on the on-demand service that provides the show. It's works the same way a watchlist feature works on Netflix, ITV X etc, although the Sky playlist included content/shows from all the major on-demand apps. The benefit of the playlist over Sky Q recordings is that if a series is added in it's entirety to on--demand on the first day but is broadcast weekly on TV, you get easy access to binge watch the whole series whenever you want, whereas the Sky Q recording feature you would need to wait to watch the recording on a weekly basis as an eloiosde is broadcast (unless you use the box set feature within Sky q).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Thanks both, much appreciated.

I do like the menu display, which is an upgrade from Q

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion