Discussion topic: Sky puck lip sync issue

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: Sky Stream Audio Sync Issues

It all depends on how your connected up. 

If you're going to the TV via HDMI and then back out via SPdif, there should be a setting in the TV audio menu's to build in a delay, if there isn't then tinker with the Sonos settings.

The best way is HDMI to the TV and then HDMI out to the Sonos via Arc or eARC because there shouldn't be any delays.

Either way, it's a set-up issue that you'll need to tinker with at your end. I'd suggest reading up on what your TV and Sonos support and go from there. 

This message was authored by Spannerman007 This message was authored by: Spannerman007

Re: Sky puck lip sync issue

I have had the same issue for over a week now after not having the issue with exactly the same set up for the past 18 months. I am pretty tech savvy and have tried everything suggested plus a few more things that I thought might work but it is still terrible watching anything on the sky puck. Seems like a hardware issue as so many people are complaining about the same problem ??

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

The simple explanation is the more gateways you introduce between the puck and the audio output will introduce delays due to the various hardware points having to decode the various signals and keeping everything in sync becomes a pain in bum.

This has been recognised as a industry wide issue which is why eARC was introduced as this has protocols in place which keep everything in sync.

We have a Samsung QLED TV and a modestly priced Sony soundbar. It all supports eARC and we have zero sync issues. It took a bit of reading but the issue isn't with the Puck as such and just an inherent issue with various technologies. 

Personally I think that Sonos have done a tremendous marketing job because they've over complicated everything and the sound quality isn't that great 

We have a MultiRoom Sonos system at work, it's overly complicated and doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the much cheaper JBL system we had before.

This message was authored by FunkyL This message was authored by: FunkyL

@Nigelb1972 

This may be true, but it does not appear to be the situation in this case for most people in this thread.  For me, and many others, the issue arose suddenly without any addition of additional hardware, or changing settings.  It is very likely this is a broken update sent through by Sky.

This message was authored by GeordieJD This message was authored by: GeordieJD

Can't agree, sorry.

I've got the puck straight into HDMI socket on my Sony Xperia TV. Nothing else. I've never had a sound bar or sepearte audio input. It has been exactly like that since November 2022 when I switched to Stream, with no sync issues whatsoever.

2 weeks ago Sync issues started without anything changing in the set up.

I can correct it temporarily by  resetting Inputs on my TV then after a few hours it returns. 

If you look at the reports there are different TV's involved, different cables, Sound Bars, no sound bars etc etc. They all have issues. The only common denominator is the Sky Puck

This message was authored by Kingy2kingy This message was authored by: Kingy2kingy

Yeh, ftom what I have been reading I agree. It is firmly the puck. Like you, all great with puck for year and then last week it started. I had not changed any settings either. 
the sky lassie said a workaround but clearly that is hit and miss. 
bit shoddy if you ask me that they keep quiet about these things and the only comms is by frustrating users on this forum.

Hope you get sorted soon, and hope my does not return either. 

This message was authored by Anthony384 This message was authored by: Anthony384

I have a Samsung qled TV and a good Samsung sound bar. I get sync issues. Every app on the TV is in sync, iPlayer, YouTube etc. But the sky puck has audio sync issues, all the apps on the puck have the same issue. It must be a puck issue. As my setup works fine through the TV.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anthony384  Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the lip sync problem is a known issue that Sky have been trying to resolve.  As a temporary workaround whilst they find a permanent solution they suggest changing your Audio Settings to PCM or Passthrough.

I also have a Samsung TV and Soundbar and I find the sound has dropouts if I use PCM.  I actually have mine set to Dolby Digital+ and whilst there is a little lip sync lag it is not really noticeable.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by MrsRooney This message was authored by: MrsRooney

Hi

I have a Samsung S95D tv and a Samsung Q930C soundbar. The Sky puck is connected to hdmi1 on the tv, which is connected via hdmi3 (eARC) to the soundbar. The interconnects are both ultra fast hdmi 2.2. The Sky puck and the tv are both set to pass through. Originally I used the hdmi cable provided by Sky to connect the puck, and experienced significant lip- sync issues coupled with random momentary audio drop-outs.

Changing to the new hdmi cables improved the lip- sync issue, but it is still there. Oddly applying delay (whether via the puck settings or the tv settings) is ok for a while, but there is a steady 'drift' back to out of sync. And I am still experiencing audio drop-outs. I have checked to ensure that the tv, soundbar and Sky puck are all on the latest updates.

I know Sky has previously acknowledged that there was a lip- sync issue, but I get the impression that for most people ( but perhaps not all) this has been corrected in the latest update. 

Annoyingly the lip-syn issue disappears if I connect the puck to the soundbar rather than the tv. But then I loose Q-Symphony. Some may say 'so what?', but it's really not acceptable that the vagueries of the puck mean I cannot use a facility on the tv which I paid for!

Any thoughts/suggestions please?

This message was authored by Si99 This message was authored by: Si99

Does your soundbar have an hdmi in as well as the arc hdmi port?

plug in as follows - puck into the soundbar then earc out of soundbar into tv.

this helped me when using 48gbps cables.....

i also set t passthrough and ensure the hdmi port i use on tv is the full fat 2.1 etc 

@Si99 if you're using eARC, update your cables to HDMI 2.1 if you haven't already.

HDMI 2.0 cables can run into bandwidth issues when trying to push through UHD, HDR and Atmos when channels are running relatively low levels of compression.

This message was authored by MrsRooney This message was authored by: MrsRooney

Hi

I have tried connecting the puck to the soundbar, which solves the sync issue, but means I cannot use Q-Symphony. Which is frustrating!

Sorry I have a Sony set up 

Samsung website only has below, guess it's a case of trial and error. I wish I didn't have 12months to go on my contract........

"Q-Symphony is available when you connect the soundbar to the TV using an HDMI cable, an optical cable, or a Wi-Fi connection. You will also need to change the source on your soundbar to D.IN for a cable connection, or Wi-Fi when establishing an internet connection. To do this, press Source on the soundbar’s remote until the desired source appears on the display.

Once the soundbar has been connected and the source is set, “TV+Soundbar” will appear under the Sound Output menu of the TV. Select the corresponding option. Now Q-Symphony will activate, and you’ll hear amazing surround sound."

Might also be worth googling some Samsung forums - any hints and tips for one connect boxes etc. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion