Discussion topic: Sky puck lip sync issue

This message was authored by Si99 This message was authored by: Si99

Re: Sky puck lip sync issue

Hi I have the latest ugreen cables - I recommend them fairly cheap on Amazon ultra hdmi etc 48g.....

This message was authored by MrsRooney This message was authored by: MrsRooney

Hi Both the puck and the tv are set to pass through, and all four hdmi ports are 4.1. I've tried changing the hdmi port the puck is plugged in to, but no difference!

Hi

Both cables are ultra fast 2.1. Interestingly, the audio drop-outs most frequently occur when watching a film, but I haven't identified any trend in terms of source, video quality, atmos etc. I will see if I can identify any commonality. Many thanks.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@MrsRooney it's probably to do with ongoing sound sync issues then. Apparently Sky are trying to fix it but there's no timescale yet 

I had a feeling that might be the case. And it's taking so long without a fix that I do wonder whether the issue is purely software related. Is there a fundamental problem with the hardware? If not, surely they would have solved this by now?

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@MrsRooney wrote:

I had a feeling that might be the case. And it's taking so long without a fix that I do wonder whether the issue is purely software related. Is there a fundamental problem with the hardware? If not, surely they would have solved this by now?

In the year I had Sky Stream I was never able to get stable and reliable lip sync, so in the end I cancelled. 

I tried every combination of certified HDMI 2.1 cable, direct to 2 different brands of TV, eARC to AVR and direct to AVR, audio output on Auto and Passthrough, but lip sync would randomly drift when switching between apps and audio formats.

It just wasn't reliable enough for me as every other streaming device I have attached to my TV and AVR have no issues whatsoever and maintain sync without issue.

IMHO the issue is definitely either the Stream puck hardware or a limitation of the server-based approach to the entire Sky streaming platform, and the added latency created as a result. 

Not everyone appears to be affected by it though, but perhaps that's down to how people use their pucks (not switching apps often, rebooting often, etc), or how sensitive they are to lip sync issues. 

Unfortunately I'm very sensitive to it so Sky Stream wasn't for me. 

Makes me wish I'd stayed with Sky Q - never had these issues!

This message was authored by Littletaffia This message was authored by: Littletaffia

I admit I don't watch much Sky content, it's less of a draw to me than either Apple, Netflix or Prime for interest. I've watched the first two episodes of House of Dragons second series. The puck takes me direct to the UHD output but then says that the puck isn't set up for UHD so I have to use the top right button to enable UHD. Does this everytime.

The first episode of House of Dragons I got Atmos, on the second I didn't. Neither episode showed up as being in HDR, my TV doesn't support Dolby Vision. Good news is lip sync was smack on on both episodes. Same couldn't be said about Discovery Plus or BBC1 HD, they were out by a fair margin.

Sky sent me an e-mail this morning asking me to report lip sync issues direct to them but I just don't use the puck relying on Apple TV for BBC iPlayer if I want to catch up on any thing. With a £2 price increase coming in August I really have to question the financial outlay for what is a shoddy service with crap programmes.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Littletaffia Sky don't use Dolby Vision, the use HLG for HDR 

This message was authored by Littletaffia This message was authored by: Littletaffia

I can't even get HDR. Didn't have that problem with SkyQ.

This message was authored by Gento26 This message was authored by: Gento26

This is a big issue for Sky especially as they're selling as a simple Plug&Play system. Not good Sky. Something might be done as it spreads on X

@Littletaffia Sky Q also uses HLG for HDR 

@Nigelb1972I'm aware but in the set up for Stream all I get is the Ultra or 1080 settings and although I've always set it to Ultra the damn thing still tells me everytime I go to watch a UHD programme I have to manually set it up again. Still no HLG or HDR. Is there a separate setting for it?

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Littletaffia wrote:

@Nigelb1972I'm aware but in the set up for Stream all I get is the Ultra or 1080 settings and although I've always set it to Ultra the damn thing still tells me everytime I go to watch a UHD programme I have to manually set it up again. Still no HLG or HDR. Is there a separate setting for it?

Are you paying for the UHD/Atmos add-on? Is the HDMI port you are using on your TV enabled for HDR? 

@Padam_Padam Yes. Full subscription. All connections go through my Denon AVR and I can get full HDR to the TV from Apple TV+ puck as well as a Denon DBT-3313 blu ray player and Pioneer LX500 4K player. As I said previously House of Dragons had Atmos on episode 1 but no Atmos on episode 2 and no HDR on either episode.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion