Discussion topic: Sky Stream puck - Sky Sports UHD problems

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Sky Stream puck - Sky Sports UHD problems

The 'support' teams talk rubbish. They have a standard script of nonsense to try & pass the blame onto the customer's ISP. 

The fault lies in Comcast's cheap'n'cheerful streaming infrastructure which just isn't capable of running stable UHD HDR streams on the current platform with the current hardware. 

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SlenderRobert 

Pretty stable for me on 4K since i switched to ethernet.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@SlenderRobert 

Pretty stable for me on 4K since i switched to ethernet.

It's stable for me too as long as you just press play & leave it alone. It's any kind of fast forwarding or rewinding that it just can't cope with. 
But 'pretty stable' isn't good enough. I'm awaiting a call back from retentions as I'm not paying their April price increase. They said they'd ring me back this afternoon & didn't. So bored of them now. 

This message was authored by ZeusP This message was authored by: ZeusP

Pretty sure a while ago on this thread a moderator noted the feedback and escalated this for investigation (this does not seem like a home broadband issue). Be nice to get an update, even if it's not a quick fix.

This message was authored by Nigellll This message was authored by: Nigellll

F1 is unwatchable, with the freezes - sometimes video, sometimes audio, or both.  It's worse in UHD but still happens when set to HD - starts off okay then builds up. 

It's fine in Sky Go, and all the other channels on the puck are fine too even in UHD.

So what is it?  Not the basic stream from the circuit since Sky Go is okay. Not the Puck since Cinema, Netflix etc are okay.  It's been persistent on the F1 stream all event, whether on the F1 channel or the other one (401?)

And just to not help, Sky block Go from casting to the TV.

This message was authored by Red+Silence This message was authored by: Red+Silence

I'm watching the City Newcastle game (on Glass) and the adverts are out of synch with voices.

But.

Perfectly fine with the half time commentary..

Puzzled mess.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nigellll Strangely I had no trouble watching FP3 in UHD.  Initially I watched it live but put it on pause for about 15 minutes and then continued on catchup.  I also did a little FF and RW also seamlessly.

Fingers crossed you we all get through qualifying and the actual race with no problems 🤞

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
Dean80
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dean80 This message was authored by: Dean80

Today watching Sky Sports F1 UHD I have had zero issues. It has worked flawlessly. I will try Sky Sports Football in UHD later and see if I get the same result. 
I expect i will still have issues with the live football though as that is always been the main issue for my with sky stream pucks. 

Dean80
Topic Author

@KevNewMedia Any updates on this? 

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@Dean80

You would have a lot more homes/business  watching Live Football (Premier League and Champions League in UHD compared to viewing Live Formula 1 in UHD

That is why you would have less chance of  freezing issues happen when watching Formula 1 live in UHD

UHD live broadcast uses a lot more bandwidth than watching Live in HD or viewing on demand content as in not live

The issue with Premier League is lot's of customers watching live same time  in UHD

Later today the Saturday Premier evening live match will be a test as by then the live Formula 1 will had ended

Sunday Liverpool v Man United will have a lot of people viewing live in UHD there will be a possibility of freezing happen simply due to the amount of customers watching live

The freezing issue with Sky Sports Premier league Live broadcasts in UHD

I'm sure  it's a sky server bandwidth capacity issue in regards to the live UHD broadcasts of Premier League

This usually can be fixed if the broadcaster adds more bandwidth capacity on their servers for live broadcasts on a day when it's required

This often required if there is going to be a lot of demand for a live broadcast  

Some broadcasters and websites rent extra bandwidth capacity when it's required if they expect more than usual demand on a particular day

Premier Leauge and Champions Leage will always have more demand in regards to live sport so Sky need to increase their server bandwidth capacity for the live UHD broadcasts.

Watching on demand content in UHD lot less chance of freezing issue as it's not a  live broadcast 

The likely reason why today there was no freezing with live Premier League UHD on BT Sports or Live EFL League on Sky Sports in UHD is less watching today

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks
Dean80
Topic Author

Interesting you make a good point., Sky should make sure they have enough bandwidth their end to ensure a smooth uhd picture for everyone though. It seems it only impacts sky stream I think? I have not seen any issues from glass customers? I might have that wrong though...
If it is simply that sky need more bandwidth for their broadcast it should be a simple fix for them. The problem has existed way too long now. 

This message was authored by ManxWraith This message was authored by: ManxWraith

Had this issue with Sky Sports. Sky brushed it aside and pushed the blame onto me. I've since cancelled Sky Stream. If they can't provide an acceptable service I am not prepared to part with my money

This message was authored by Yorkiecherry This message was authored by: Yorkiecherry

I have had enough and have now submitted a complaint.

I had no problems with Q13 but it has gone wrong with the updates since then .

The support staff deny any problems. They are either ignoring the problem or are incompetent. Unless it is resolved I'll be going back to Sky Q

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

Watching the Saints v Foxes  footie and the UHD/HDR tonight has been flawless. Well done Sky.

This message was authored by Yorkiecherry This message was authored by: Yorkiecherry

I'm pleased it's working for you. Unfortunately it's obviously inconsistent across the platform.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion