Discussion topic: Should the puck wake up the tv or vice versa?

This message was authored by Salsera This message was authored by: Salsera

Should the puck wake up the tv or vice versa?

I power down and then switch my Samsung tv and Sky Glass puck off at the socket every night so they are not on standby using energy.

When I turn them back on at the socket the puck starts to flash but the tv doesn't wake up. If I turn the tv on using the tv remote, it selects HDMI input but doesn't seem to connect to the puck. If try switching the tv on using the Sky remote, nothing happens and/or the puck turns itself off.

I usually end up turning the tv on, wair for the puck to stop flashing and then turn that on via its Home button.

It all feels a bit clunky. Is there a better way / correct order?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams Answer

Re: Should the puck wake up the tv or vice versa?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Salsera 

Obviously you need to allow the puck to start up and be authorised and do it's checks which is why it doesn't turn on the TV. 

If you wait a few mins then press the home button on the puck remote it should turn the TV on.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams Answer

@Salsera 

Obviously you need to allow the puck to start up and be authorised and do it's checks which is why it doesn't turn on the TV. 

If you wait a few mins then press the home button on the puck remote it should turn the TV on.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Salsera wrote:

It all feels a bit clunky.

That would be because neither device was designed in anticipation of being routinely switched off at the wall.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

@Salsera wrote:

Is there a better way

Don't turn it off at night?

If you are wanting to continue turning it off, then after the puck stops flashing (flashing is the boot up sequence), you should be able to press the home or power button and if your TV supports HDMI CEC, it should turn the tv on.

Salsera
Topic Author
This message was authored by Salsera This message was authored by: Salsera

Well with the price of energy these days and all the cost-saving advice out there that recommends doing exactly that, it ought to be. We can put people on the moon, it can't be all that hard to take changing practices into account when designing a product 🙄

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

In fairness current technology in homes would have been designed and brought to market way before the energy crisis. Maybe future technologies will improve.

That said the running cost on standby per annum is quite negligible for TV and Stream box I'd leave them on standby as I do but appreciate personal preferences.

Latest published Which standby costs.

Screenshot_20230117_175814_Chrome.jpg

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

@Salsera wrote:

Well with the price of energy these days and all the cost-saving advice

Sky claim standby uses 0.5w. At current energy prices that's about £1.50 a year, if you're up for saving that then fair enough, but personally I'm not going to bother turning it off at the wall. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion