Discussion topic: Sky Stream Multiroom.

This message was authored by GrandadBob This message was authored by: GrandadBob

Sky Stream Multiroom.

I curently have sky Q with multiroom.  However, there are some issue with it and it is very unreliable.  As I understand it, the reson for this is that i live in an old house, with vevy thick walls (over a metre in some places).  As the miniboxes all need to comunicate with the main sky Q box directly (instead of over my WiFi network) i am very limited in where i can place them (even with the range extender box sky provides).

Would I have the same issue with Sky Stream?  Do the mini boxes all need to comunicate ditectly with the main box or do they just need an internet conection?

All Replies

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

Re: Sky Stream Multiroom.

@GrandadBob wrote:

Do the mini boxes all need to comunicate ditectly with the main box or do they just need an internet conection?

No, there is no main box. All the pucks are identical and connect to the internet independently, either through WiFi or ethernet. If you can wire them, then that would be better but if you have decent whole home WiFi, I would think it would be better than the mini boxes trying to connect to the main Sky Q box.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GrandadBob wrote:

Would I have the same issue with Sky Stream?  Do the mini boxes all need to comunicate ditectly with the main box or do they just need an internet conection?

There is no 'main box' with Glass/Stream: each device is a standalone Wifi client.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@GrandadBob 

I had the same issues you suffer an old house with thick brick and stone walls. Sky Q mini boxes would not work unless hardwired.

Glass/Stream appears even more fickle with Sky equipment even in the same room as the router being advised as best hardwired and not WiFi.

I have both Glass and Stream. I had my home hardwired a few years ago with ethernet sockets in each room to connect equipment, both Glass & Stream are hardwired via BT HALO 3. I have never experienced any transmission loss or buffering with this set up.

I would say now you will have to hardwire any Sky stream product for stability.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion