Discussion topic: Lip Sync issues - Sky Stream

This message was authored by FunkyL This message was authored by: FunkyL

Re: QS025 Lip Sync Issues

Good idea.  It has been 3 months now with no formal acknowledgement, no indication of when it will be fixed, and instead just hiding behind volunteers on their forums and incredibly weak mitigations by way of workarounds... and all the time asking for full price.  That is just utterly appalling treatment of their customers who they obviously think of with some contempt 

This message was authored by Caz64 This message was authored by: Caz64

Changing to pcm has sorted the lip sync issue

previously it was on all channels and Netflix and iPlayer-basically everything and turning it off and on or resetting everything made no difference 

This message was authored by jonny221 This message was authored by: jonny221

Looking to move to sky stream, but put off by the lip sync issue.

The workaround at the minute seems to be to set the audio to PCM. In the real world what does this do to the audio quality?

I only have an old sound bar and sub, but looking at upgrading to the Samsung Q600C Soundbar which is 3.1.2.

Will I notice a difference in the audio quality setting it to PCM as having a soundbar isn't a true 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Does Dolby Atmos work when the audio is set to PCM?

Thanks

This message was authored by Littletaffia This message was authored by: Littletaffia

@jonny221 You will not lose any audio quality using PCM at the moment. If you get your Atmos capable soundbar then the Atmos channels are metadata that is attached to the Dolby Digital Plus format that must be used so you'll lose Atmos by using the PCM format.

This message was authored by MagicDave54 This message was authored by: MagicDave54

New user to sky stream, been installed about a week now and lipsinc is a constant issue, very annoying. I have removed my sound bawitching off my r which has made no difference. I can resolve the issue short term by swirching off the box and turning it back on. The issue is consant whilst using sky TV/broadband. I hope this problem can be resolved quickly. As a new sky user this is not starting with a good experience ☹️

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MagicDave54 Welcome to the forum.  Have you tried the temporary workaround advised by Sky on this thread?  If not change your Audio Settings to PCM or Passthrough.  Although this is not ideal it seems to fix the lip sync issue whilst Sky look for a permanent solution.  The last update to QS028 resolved the problem for many users (including me) but did not work for everyone.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by MagicDave54 This message was authored by: MagicDave54

Temporary solution seems to have done the trick. Thank you 

This message was authored by Wizzard This message was authored by: Wizzard

Hi 

I have a similar issue with an LG c2 tv and LG soundbar .

I can get Dolby Atmos to work via pass through but have the lip sync issue . 

I then set it to PCM and it works but no Dolby Atmos .

Question is do I need it ? What am I loosing by setting the sound  to PCM

Thanks 

This message was authored by jonny221 This message was authored by: jonny221

@Wizzard I'm interested to know this as well.

I think the question is do you notice a difference? I mean could you tell a difference if you didn't know whether it was set to PCM or not?

Im guessing for day to day general watching there would be little difference? But would you notice a difference if watching a film?

Also with just a soundbar, do you get a true Dolby Atmos experience compared to a surround sound speaker setup?

This message was authored by Roger17 This message was authored by: Roger17

@Wizzard You are losing your Dolby Atmos and only getting basic sound with none of the spacial effects you get with Dolby Atmos. It is a disgrace Sky still haven't sorted this out especially as you pay for it. If a company like Apple had an issue like this with Apple TV they would fix it immediatley, but bear in mind their technology is years ahead of any thing you will get with Sky.

With EE you can op for the Apple TV for thier streaming service, in my mind how a company who want to provide the best service responds, not one who just like to make the most money out of thier customer base and gives them  apparently substandard hardware/software.

This message was authored by Wizzard This message was authored by: Wizzard

@Roger17 thanks for the reply and for the answer. Even tho PCM is louder , you are correct re effects especially watching house of dragons 

Yes hopefully sky will address the issue 

This message was authored by Tone2 This message was authored by: Tone2

I have moved over from Sky +HD and installed Sky Stream yesterday. I had lip synch problems on every channel I tried. It was about 0.5 seconds sound delay, enough to make dialogue unwatchable. Looked on this forum and took the advice to go into sound settings and change from Dolby to PCM. This is solved the problem. I have a Samsung smart TV and use the speakers that are built in. I appreciate this workaround may not work for people with separate speakers. It seems that this has been a problem for many people since April, so when is Sky going to find a solution?

This message was authored by matt7777 This message was authored by: matt7777

Just adding I have the same issue (Sky Stream -> HDMI to Loewe TV -> ARC to Sony Atmos soundbar). Audio output is set to passthrough.
The lip-sync issue is constantly present, but varies by what is being watched. I've managed to use the audio delay across both TV and Sky (TV allows for 100mS adjustments, unlike Sky's 200mS steps)

so that when watching Sky channels from the TV guide they are sync'd perfectlyl,

However, if I watch something from an App the result varies without changing any settings.. E.g. BBC is as much as 300mS out, ITVx about 100mS, Netflx is Okay - noticeable only if you really look for it.
Interestingly the lip-sync also seems to drift by about 200mS over 10 minutes, progressively getting worse. If I then pause and restart the programme, the sync resets and begins to drift again.

The variance in sync depending on what's being watched very much indicates it's a Stream issue.

This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience whilst we work with the right teams to get this issue sorted. We apologize for the time it's taken so far to get this resolved.

To update, teams are still working on this and once we have more details to share we will update you to confirm.

Thanks,

Daniel
Community Moderator
This message was authored by JT_0489 This message was authored by: JT_0489

I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to echo the challenges others have faced.

My setup is the following:
- LG TV (OLED55B9PLA)

- Sonos Beam + 2x Play 1s (via HDMI ARC)

- Sky Stream Puck

Has anyone been able to find a fix for this combo of LG TV and Sonos? I'm not willing to switch to PCM, I don't feel that is an acceptable solution to switch off surround sound, especially when part of the reason I switched to Sky was for Shows and Movies.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion