Discussion topic: Lip Sync issues - Sky Stream

This message was authored by Paul+Dray This message was authored by: Paul+Dray

Re: QS025 Lip Sync Issues

@Matt+Nunns wrote:

@Paul+Dray

yes they are. Seems like the sky puck doesn't send a signal to re-enable the audio after pausing.

in the sonos app, you see the audio format disappear when you pause tv, the audio codec then never appears again.

no issues with Apple TV box or PS5.

also swapped to different hdmi inputs and changed the hdmi cable.

tried various possible audio options on the tv as well with the same issue appearing every time only on the sky puck.

all updates have been done on the tv and sonos

Strange for sure and obviously disappointing. What happens on the Sonos app if you plug the stream puck directly in to the Sonos hdmi IN port and then do the pause test?

————————
Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 50in Plasma TV | Yamaha DSP-AX863 SE AV Amp
Sky Stream Puck; Build: QS030.528.00P | Sky Broadband Ultrafast
————————
This message was authored by pingloss This message was authored by: pingloss

Repeatable issue with a Phillips 4k Ambilight TV/Sonos Playbase and a LG 4k TV/Sonos Beam. Both setups have horrible lip sync issues when the Puck is outputting Dolby Digital. 

My only solution (apart from downgrading to PCM) was to buy a HDMI audio splitter like this https://amzn.eu/d/irOoYB7

Issue resolved itself immediately on both systems once installed. 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@pingloss wrote:

Repeatable issue with a Phillips 4k Ambilight TV/Sonos Playbase and a LG 4k TV/Sonos Beam. Both setups have horrible lip sync issues when the Puck is outputting Dolby Digital. 

My only solution (apart from downgrading to PCM) was to buy a HDMI audio splitter like this https://amzn.eu/d/irOoYB7

Issue resolved itself immediately on both systems once installed. 

An audio splitter costing £100+ to solve the sync issues on a £20 Stream puck?!? Wow. 

This message was authored by pingloss This message was authored by: pingloss

Sky are seemingly taking their time in fixing the issue and their only workaround is to effectively disable multi channel audio. The lip sync issue only happens on the Sky Stream puck, no other streaming device I have suffers from it. 

What's the point in me having a Sonos home cinema system if I have to neutralise it just to watch anything on Sky? I'd rather fix it than wait for something that may come in 3 months, 6 months or even a year???

This message was authored by Matt+Nunns This message was authored by: Matt+Nunns

Re: Has lip sync been fixed.

I wouldn't bother, unless you just use stereo sound they are awful, I've had audio issues since day 1 with the stream puck. I've had it 9 months and thought they were teething issues they'd resolve with software updates.

It now seems to me there are just fundamental issues with the hardware and or software on the device.

id stay with sky q if that's an option despite it not supporting atmos, etc

This message was authored by Matt+Nunns This message was authored by: Matt+Nunns

@Paul+Dray Interestingly my pick has updated overnight to QS027.508.00P.

The loss of audio when paused seems to have gone away!

Also interestingly, when content is paused the Sonos now displays dolby5.1 as the input stream, then when unpaused changes to whatever the audio stream is in the app/channel you're watching I.e Dolby digital Plus 2.0, etc.

so, it feels like something has been changed in how they are outputting audio, obviously difficult to tell without being a sky developer!

This message was authored by Paul+Dray This message was authored by: Paul+Dray

@Matt+Nunns wrote:

@Paul+Dray Interestingly my pick has updated overnight to QS027.508.00P.

The loss of audio when paused seems to have gone away!

Also interestingly, when content is paused the Sonos now displays dolby5.1 as the input stream, then when unpaused changes to whatever the audio stream is in the app/channel you're watching I.e Dolby digital Plus 2.0, etc.

so, it feels like something has been changed in how they are outputting audio, obviously difficult to tell without being a sky developer!

That's the version I've been on for a couple of weeks now. Glad it's made the audio disappearance when paused thing go away for you.

————————
Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 50in Plasma TV | Yamaha DSP-AX863 SE AV Amp
Sky Stream Puck; Build: QS030.528.00P | Sky Broadband Ultrafast
————————

Spoke to soon! Still loses audio when paused, just after a longer period now. I'm not sure they actually test anything before they release it. About done with Sky stream, may start the fight to get rid of it and just use smart tv. Shame because skys overall offering would be so much better if they just didn't realise buggy devices/software!

This message was authored by Susanne-webb This message was authored by: Susanne-webb

Re: Lip sync problems with puck

I went to settings and changed the digital audio output HDMI from Auto to Dolby Digital Plus. 
It completely solved the problem. 

Predictably, works fine on stereo pcm. Come on Sky! Sort this out!

This message was authored by Lindataylor-56 This message was authored by: Lindataylor-56

The words are out of zinc with peoples mouths i have to turn the tv off to fix this at least every

The words on my tv programmes are out of zinc with peoples mouths so I have to turn the tv of to fix it every 20 mins or so.Iput the tv on standby and turned the puck of and on again to restart it but that hasn't worked 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: The words are out of zinc with peoples mouths i have to turn the tv off to fix this at least ev

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Lindataylor-56 As suggested earlier in this thread Sky are aware of the issue and whilst the try to find a permanent fix they suggest you change your audio settings to PCM or Passthrough (I actually have mine on Dolby Digital Plus).

Settings > Picture & Sound > sound > Digital Audio Output HDMI

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Jo179 This message was authored by: Jo179

Sky pucks lagging

We have four sky pucks in the house (no main box) and they are all linked up to the wifi. Everytime we watch tv, whether its live or not, the sound lags to the action/person. It gets worse the longer we watch the tv. Does anyone have a solution to this?  And is it right that we just have pucks and no main box?

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Sky pucks lagging

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jo179 wrote:

We have four sky pucks in the house (no main box) and they are all linked up to the wifi. Everytime we watch tv, whether its live or not, the sound lags to the action/person. It gets worse the longer we watch the tv. Does anyone have a solution to this?  

@Jo179 the sound sync issue is a known problem Sky are investigating. The workaround is to change the audio settings in  Settings > Picture & Sound > sound > Digital Audio Output HDMI.

Some customers have had success with setting it to PCM or Passthrough. Personally i still saw some issues on these settings (although it was better) and discovered that setting to Dolby Digital Plus remove the sync issues for me.

@Jo179 wrote:

And is it right that we just have pucks and no main box?

There is no main box for the Sky Streaming platform, the service is delivered by the small pucks.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by DavidRos This message was authored by: DavidRos

Sky stream speech out of sync

Hi, my sound was working fine then about a week ago the speech is out of sync, I've tried all options to fix, from resetting the pick the rough to adjusting the speech delay in the settings, and a different HDMI cable and input socket, noting is working...not sure what to do?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion