Discussion topic: Dolby Atmos audio drop out

This message was authored by Dac20vt This message was authored by: Dac20vt

Re: Dolby Atmos audio drop out

It's the only thing stopping this product from being a really great product. I can live with the other occasional glitches but nothing worse than having your enjoyment of a movie stopped by audio dropouts. 

I found live football to be the absolute worst though - especially when it jumps between Atmos and other codecs during ad breaks 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

When there was an audio drop-out issue with certain models of Sky Q box several years ago, it took Sky over a year to work out it was a Dolby Digital audio driver problem and issue a firmware update to fix it. 

Hopefully it doesn't take them as long to solve it this time... 

@Padam_Padam at what point did Sky acknowledge that issue though as currently when I speak to anyone at Sky they are totally oblivious to the issue. 

Technical team tried suggesting the fact that I was plugged into a switch and not directly into the router might have caused the issue - to nullify their claims I ran a long cable direct into the Sky router and the issue persisted. They also sent me a new puck which was exactly the same.

I've currently cancelled my services but will be keeping an eye on this thread as I would like to reinstate the services when it's fixed. 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Dac20vt wrote:

@Padam_Padam at what point did Sky acknowledge that issue though as currently when I speak to anyone at Sky they are totally oblivious to the issue. 

Technical team tried suggesting the fact that I was plugged into a switch and not directly into the router might have caused the issue - to nullify their claims I ran a long cable direct into the Sky router and the issue persisted. They also sent me a new puck which was exactly the same.

I've currently cancelled my services but will be keeping an eye on this thread as I would like to reinstate the services when it's fixed. 

It was similar with the Q audio issue - it took a long time for it to be acknowledged and acted upon, but it's pretty normal for customer service advisors to deny all knowledge of such issues. Often they're not actually aware of them. 

These kind of issues are always tricky because they'll want to replicate the problem repeatedly in their own lab and as it's random, and seems to depend on multiple variable factors, it could be a long wait. The Sky Q audio drop-out thread got to well over 100 pages long before the fix was implemented.

It may be one of those things that they don't deem important enough to spend much time looking into, because it doesn't affect everyone...

Who knows? Customers will just have to wait. 

The Sky Q audio drop-out thread got to well over 100 pages long before the fix was implemented. 

This message was authored by FFU01 This message was authored by: FFU01

I think the difference here is that they are charging us £6 extra a month to access Dolby Atmos on Sky channels but the service doesn't work properly.

This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with using dolby atmos 🙂

I'm wanting a bit more detail from users if possible in order to get this investigated properly. 

Can you confirm the following for me:

1. The TV Make / Model in use
  2. If you are using a sound system or Speakers, if a Sound system what is the make and model?
  3. Has there been any software updates on the sound systems end which you can link to when this issue started for you?
  4. What content is being watched and if on live TV, what channel?
  5. Any example dates / times that the drop out has occurred.

Thank you 🙂

Daniel
Community Moderator
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

The TV Make / Model in use - Samsung QLED 

If you are using a sound system or Speakers - Sony Soundbar connected via eARC using HDMI 2.1 cables 

What content is being watched and if on live TV, what channel? - anything with Atmos

Any example dates / times that the drop out has occurred. - whenever anything is watched with Atmos..

Hi

1) LG Oled C2

2) Dolby Atmos sound drops whether I'm using my Samsung soundbar, subwoofer and rear speakers or just the TV speakers.

3) Any Dolby Atmos content, regardless of source. This includes any Dolby Atmos films/programmes offered by Sky, Netflix, Prime, Apple TV and Disney +. I haven't viewed any Dolby Atmos content from any live channels to date.

4) This happens daily and at any time. if it's Dolby Atmos, the sound drops intermittently, sometimes as often as every 15 minutes but usually, every half an hour or so.

Thanks

@Daniel-F 

1) LG OLED CX Series 

2) Bose Soundbar 600 via eARC direct to the TV - TV and Sky Stream set to Passthrough

3) Any Atmos content - Sky or other apps. Live sports is in particularly bad

4) no specific example but happens daily 

gpb156
Topic Author
This message was authored by gpb156 This message was authored by: gpb156

1. TV LG OLED48C24LA (2022)

2. LG Soundbar S75Q.DGBRLLB 
  3. Any Dolby Atmos content. For me apple tv and Netlix
  4. Intemittently on any Dolby Atmos content. Any time of day
  5. Hdmi fast speed eArc cables same make puck-tv-soundbar audio passthrough.
This message was authored by TechMaster This message was authored by: TechMaster

1) LG OLED C3

2) Samsung Dolby Atmos sound bar via eARC

3) Anything Dolby Atmos

4) Anything on demand -  Currently for me on Netflix - "F1 - Drive to survive", (has to be dolby vision/atmos version)  

@Daniel-F wrote:

Hi all,

I'm wanting a bit more detail from users if possible in order to get this investigated properly. 

2. If you are using a sound system or Speakers
  3. What content is being watched and if on live TV, what channel?
  4. Any example dates / times that the drop out has occurred.

Thank you 🙂

Even though I no longer have Stream, I did experience the dropouts so I'll add my kit to the list in case it helps....

1. Puck connected directly to Panasonic JZ1000 OLED 

2. eARC connection from TV to Denon AVRX1700 receiver using certified HDMI 2.1 cables, but dropouts also detected when using TV speakers. Puck audio output set to Passthrough. 

3. Netflix and Apple TV+ apps both would output Atmos content with dropouts in random places. 

4. Entirely random at any time of day or night. 

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

@Daniel-F wrote:

Hi all,

2. If you are using a sound system or Speakers
  3. What content is being watched and if on live TV, what channel?
  4. Any example dates / times that the drop out has occurred.

Thank you 🙂

1.  LG / C1
  2. Sonos system connected via HDMI directly to TV, sound set to pass-through on puck
  3. Have only noted this on streaming services , cancelled the atmos sky subscription
  4. Basically any atmos feed at any time.

Also, just to add that Dolby Atmos works perfectly when using any of the TV native apps so it's clearly not a TV problem but more a sky stream puck firmware issue.

@FFU01 wrote:

Also, just to add that Dolby Atmos works perfectly when using any of the TV native apps so it's clearly not a TV problem but more a sky stream puck firmware issue.

Seconded. 

Also, no issues with Dolby Atmos passed via eARC from any other device attached to the same TV to the same AVR. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion