Discussion topic: internet too slow for sky Q

This message was authored by SuzyJane This message was authored by: SuzyJane

internet too slow for sky Q

What if my internet is much too slow here in Rural Ireland for Sky-Q, and you no longer deal with Sky Plus.  I assume as a 15 year customer, that means I have to cancel my subscription and do without.  Very sad for this 78 year old wife and hubby.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: internet too slow for sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SuzyJane wrote:

@oldfella 

Hi again "oldfella"...this is the wee "old gal" again.  You mentioned that the mini box could not view UHD recordings.  I will be getting a new Sony telly that is an Ultra HD HDR OLED Smart TV.  Would this mean that our second little telly with the mini box would not be able to view any of the programs I record on the UHD telly?  Sorry for so many questions.  Once we get into the world of OLED and UHD, they are still brand new to me.  I am really re-considering now, after all you've told me (and others) of going ahead and giving the Sky Q another chance.  Thank you again for all your help and input. 

Hi @SuzyJane 

Anything recorded in UHD on the main Q box then the recording will not be available on the mini.

This doesn't affect any content viewed on the main box being used on the main new Sony UHD.   (Assume the UHD Sony will be used with the main TV and not the mini.

If you are recording anything  in UHD which is also wanted to be watched on the mini then you must record the UHD version and also the HD version from the HD channel.

Just means you must set both the UHD channel and also the HD channel to record.

On the TV with the mini  you would only be able to watch the HD version.

On the main TV both versions would be available to watch but as it is a UHD TV you normally would choose to watch the UHD recording.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

How slow is it? From memory I believe Sky recommend a minimum broadband of  2Mbps which is pretty slow.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@SuzyJane wrote:

What if my internet is much too slow here in Rural Ireland for Sky-Q, and you no longer deal with Sky Plus.  I assume as a 15 year customer, that means I have to cancel my subscription and do without.  Very sad for this 78 year old wife and hubby.

Hi @SuzyJane 

Slow broadband will certainly affect On Demand and Catch up and all streaming Apps.

However if you plan ahead you should be able to download some content from the internet.  Depending on your Broadband speed downloads will take a considerable time.

However all live TV comes via Satellite and so watching content and recording from the TV Guide will work as normal.

SuzyJane
Topic Author

That's about what it is, but unfortunately it also keeps going in and out on me constantly.  Can't even watch a live match on my internet.  Sky came out about a year ago and installed Sky-Q for me and after about an hour of work he had it running.  He left, and then had to return the following day because as the engineer said, "your internet is just too slow and it's not going to work".  Nothing has changed in that period of time other than Sky no no longer service Sky-Plus and the box I have must be from cave man days. 

@SuzyJane wrote:

That's about what it is, but unfortunately it also keeps going in and out on me constantly.  Can't even watch a live match on my internet.  Sky came out about a year ago and installed Sky-Q for me and after about an hour of work he had it running.  He left, and then had to return the following day because as the engineer said, "your internet is just too slow and it's not going to work".  Nothing has changed in that period of time other than Sky no no longer service Sky-Plus and the box I have must be from cave man days. 

As I said @SuzyJane 

Watching and Recording from the TV Guide will not be affected by slow internet speed.

So anything that you want to watch from live TV can be recorded to watch later.

Hi @SuzyJane 

Best to keep it on the Forum as it helps others.

Any channels from the TV Guide can be watched as normal as they come via the Satellite dish.  All the Sky Sports channels if you subscribe can be watched or Recorded as they come by Satellite.

Low speed Broadband will only affect the following.

• Downloading from On Demand
  • Download Catch Up Content.
  • All the Apps (which rely on Internet streaming.
  • Watch from start which is available on some live TV.   
SuzyJane
Topic Author

@oldfella 

Oh that would be awesome.  What about the "mini box"?  Would it work the same, do you know?

And yes, I hope the question and answers do indeed help others as well as me.  I've never used this before.

@SuzyJane wrote:

@oldfella 

Oh that would be awesome.  What about the "mini box"?  Would it work the same, do you know?

And yes, I hope the question and answers do indeed help others as well as me.  I've never used this before.

Hi @SuzyJane 

Mini boxes are just slave boxes and  connect by WiFi to the main Q box.

Whether or not that would work for you depends on the Mini location and how far it is away from the main Q box.

Minis can be used completely independently of the main Q box and the same or different program or recording can be viewed on each Q box. Even if viewing the same content it is completely independent and can be viewed at the same or different point.
Minis can do all the features same as the main Q box and can set or delete recordings on the main Q box hard drive. There is one single storage area on the main Q box with no profiles and no indication of which Q box has set a recording. (Unlike Sky+HD Multiroom which has independent storage and planners).
It should also be remembered that minis cannot view UHD recordings or content.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@SuzyJane Are you having any issues with your Sky+HD box? If not, just keep using it. You don't have to switch. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
SuzyJane
Topic Author

@oj01 

Hello:  Yes, I am currently having issues with either the box or the dish.  All I get is a message that says "box still initializing, please wait", and then a message that says "no satellite signal".  I checked all the connectors, went through all the basic steps, and then finally rang them and they said "they don't do Sky-Plus anymore, that I would have to get Sky Q".  That was the first I had ever heard that and I tried to explain my problem but unfortunately she barely spoke English and we had a very difficult conversation.  So here I am with nothing.  Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my original post.  I appreciate it very much.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SuzyJane 

It's entirely legitimate to purchase late model (2015) Sky+ HD hardware online as replacement devices, and to employ local independent satellite installers to resolve dish issues.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@SuzyJane wrote:

@oj01 

Hello:  Yes, I am currently having issues with either the box or the dish.  All I get is a message that says "box still initializing, please wait", and then a message that says "no satellite signal".  I checked all the connectors, went through all the basic steps, and then finally rang them and they said "they don't do Sky-Plus anymore, that I would have to get Sky Q".  That was the first I had ever heard that and I tried to explain my problem but unfortunately she barely spoke English and we had a very difficult conversation.  So here I am with nothing.  Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my original post.  I appreciate it very much.

Aahh! That usually means a dish alignment issue, though could also be the box. As @TimmyBGood mentions, you could opt to find a local satellite installer to check the dish, which might get you back up and running. If they established it was the box, they cost around £30 on ebay. Be sure to get a DRX890 or DRX895 model. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
SuzyJane
Topic Author

@oldfella 

Hi again "oldfella"...this is the wee "old gal" again.  You mentioned that the mini box could not view UHD recordings.  I will be getting a new Sony telly that is an Ultra HD HDR OLED Smart TV.  Would this mean that our second little telly with the mini box would not be able to view any of the programs I record on the UHD telly?  Sorry for so many questions.  Once we get into the world of OLED and UHD, they are still brand new to me.  I am really re-considering now, after all you've told me (and others) of going ahead and giving the Sky Q another chance.  Thank you again for all your help and input. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@SuzyJane wrote:

@oldfella 

Hi @SuzyJane 

Anything recorded in UHD on the main Q box then the recording will not be available on the mini.

This doesn't affect any content viewed on the main box being used on the main new Sony UHD.   (Assume the UHD Sony will be used with the main TV and not the mini.

If you are recording anything  in UHD which is also wanted to be watched on the mini then you must record the UHD version and also the HD version from the HD channel.

Just means you must set both the UHD channel and also the HD channel to record.

On the TV with the mini  you would only be able to watch the HD version.

On the main TV both versions would be available to watch but as it is a UHD TV you normally would choose to watch the UHD recording.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion