Discussion topic: Viewing DVR security cameras on Sky Q

This message was authored by NicholasS This message was authored by: NicholasS

Viewing DVR security cameras on Sky Q

Does anyone know if there is a way to view home security cameras on Sky Q?  We have 3 Sky Q boxes connected to 3 TVs around the house.  I am installing a DVR security camera system.  The DVR box can connect via an HDMI cable to a TV to view images.  However, that would only be available on one TV with the HDMI cable connecting to the TV rather than the Sky Q box.  I'm wonderting if there is a way to connect the HDMI to the Sky Q box so i can see it on the other two Sky Q connected TVs.  I'm assuming there is no HDMI input to Sky Q, so perhaps there is a way to use a connection to my internet router to achive the same?

Thank you!
Nick

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Viewing DVR security cameras on Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NicholasS wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a way to view home security cameras on Sky Q?  We have 3 Sky Q boxes connected to 3 TVs around the house.  I am installing a DVR security camera system.  The DVR box can connect via an HDMI cable to a TV to view images.  However, that would only be available on one TV with the HDMI cable connecting to the TV rather than the Sky Q box.  I'm wonderting if there is a way to connect the HDMI to the Sky Q box so i can see it on the other two Sky Q connected TVs.  I'm assuming there is no HDMI input to Sky Q, so perhaps there is a way to use a connection to my internet router to achive the same?

Thank you!
Nick

hi @NicholasS 

I am afraid not - SKY Q cannot have any video input directly or streamed to it

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@NicholasS wrote:

so perhaps there is a way to use a connection to my internet router to achive the same?

That would wholly depend on what the DVR system supports - perhaps you can have more than one receiver to plug into each TV?  But you need to look at the support for that system - there's no option to use Q as noted.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NicholasS 

Apart from generating a YouTube feed from the cameras and then using the YouTube app on Q (not entirely impossible, but distinctly impractical) I cannot think of any way to achieve that.

If the TVs are 'smart' then they may be able to host Plex or a similar app which would be a step forward, but you'd still need native IP output from the DVR or some form of external real-time capture, rendering and IP presentation.

Ideally you'd source a DVR which is inherently capable of such a thing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion