Discussion topic: Using a splitter on a sky Q box

This message was authored by amindy This message was authored by: amindy

Using a splitter on a sky Q box

I wondered why i had a message come up that sky couldn't recognise a UHD connection on my tv, I had a £70 4k cable plugged in and not the pink sky hdmi cable that was provided with the sky Q box. So I plugged the pubk

cable in and tada 🎉 the UHD was in buisness. However no sound from my surround sound. Then when I plug the £70 4k cable in it says no UHD but we do have sound. My question is, how do I make this work, can I put a hdmi splitter into the back of the sky box and have both cables running to fix the problem, if so what sort of splitter, or are there any other tried and tested methods that anyone could suggest. 🤷‍♀️ 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Using a splitter on a sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@amindy wrote:

I wondered why i had a message come up that sky couldn't recognise a UHD connection on my tv, I had a £70 4k cable plugged in and not the pink sky hdmi cable that was provided with the sky Q box. So I plugged the pubk

cable in and tada 🎉 the UHD was in buisness. However no sound from my surround sound. Then when I plug the £70 4k cable in it says no UHD but we do have sound. My question is, how do I make this work, can I put a hdmi splitter into the back of the sky box and have both cables running to fix the problem, if so what sort of splitter, or are there any other tried and tested methods that anyone could suggest. 🤷‍♀️ 

hi @amindy 

I am sorry probably not really much help  - whiilst some people do seem to have success with splitters and 4K, we know that many find them temperamental. 

Is the splitter being used for routing to more than 1 TV or splitting out audio ?

BTW you should not have to pay more than £10-£20 for a fully functioning 4K HDMI (or these days 8K) cables 

amindy
Topic Author

I'm hoping to use the splitter to connect the tv and my surround sound both to sky so that they both work together. At the moment the sky cable that connects from the tv to the sky box, misses my surround sound

@amindy wrote:

I'm hoping to use the splitter to connect the tv and my surround sound both to sky so that they both work together. At the moment the sky cable that connects from the tv to the sky box, misses my surround sound

If you post the make & model numbers of both your TV & surround sound, I will see if I can think of an alternative method of connecting them all - although it may depend on the age of them

Perhaps mention any other equipment connected to both 

edit P.S. Also mention if you watch in 4K/HDR and also if you are looking for Atmos sound 

amindy
Topic Author

This is the tv 

https://www.google.com/url?pjf=1&q=https://www.manua.ls/samsung/qe55q6fnat/specifications&sa=U&sqi=2...

and it's Bose surround sound, it's 10 old so not sure what make it is, 

@amindy wrote:

This is the tv 

https://www.google.com/url?pjf=1&q=https://www.manua.ls/samsung/qe55q6fnat/specifications&sa=U&sqi=2...

and it's Bose surround sound, it's 10 old so not sure what make it is, 

hi @amindy 

Is your TV connected to your Bose system ? 

The TV has an ARC (audio Return Channel) HDMI  that should allow the sound from SKY to be routed through the  TV

Alternatively could you use an optical cable from SKY ?

amindy
Topic Author

Ok I think I'll have change around and see if I can do it that way, thanks so much. 

amindy
Topic Author

Should I put the sky hdmi cable in the arc port and then put in sky box?

@amindy wrote:

Should I put the sky hdmi cable in the arc port and then put in sky box?

nope -the ARC HDMI is specifically  for connection to/from Audio systems.

I haven't looked at the full manual of the TV to see if you can use all others but SKY should be connected to any other 4K/HDR capable HDMI inputs 

amindy
Topic Author

Ok I have put an optical in and now going to connect the sky cable to any other hdmi

amindy
Topic Author

What if I put the Bose in that Arc port?

@amindy wrote:

Ok I have put an optical in and now going to connect the sky cable to any other hdmi

Sounds like a plan that hopefully will work for you (especially as you don't need Atmos)

@amindy wrote:

What if I put the Bose in that Arc port?

this might work but I am not 100% sure if ARC out from the TV also relies on a corresponding 'handshake' from the Sound system so it may depend if your Bose system HDMI Out is also ARC capable

amindy
Topic Author

😭 

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

I have this HDMI splitter, has 2 outputs and 6 inputs and works perfectly with Sky Q UHD & HDR

https://amzn.eu/d/e7nv6nL

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion