Discussion topic: Sky remote volume button is turning box off.

This message was authored by DaleGreen This message was authored by: DaleGreen

Sky remote volume button is turning box off.

Hello.

This has been asked before, but the post went unanswered. My sky remote sometimes turns the box off when you use the volume up button. I suspected the remote at first, but a replacement is doing the same.

Anyone else know of this happening and if there's a fix outside a new box? It's not the end of the world, just a bit annoyying mid program when you turn the TV up and the thing switches off!

Here's the other post: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Volume-buttons-turn-box-off/m-p/4634592

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky remote volume button is turning box off.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaleGreen wrote:

Hello.
This has been asked before, but the post went unanswered. My sky remote sometimes turns the box off when you use the volume up button. I suspected the remote at first, but a replacement is doing the same.
Anyone else know of this happening and if there's a fix outside a new box? It's not the end of the world, just a bit annoyying mid program when you turn the TV up and the thing switches off!
Here's the other post: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Volume-buttons-turn-box-off/m-p/4634592

Hi @DaleGreen 

Just to clarify is it only the Q box that turns off or does the television as well?

First thing to check is to see whether or not the Television remote does the same thing when you turn up the volume.

DaleGreen
Topic Author

Hey @oldfella,

Thanks for the reply!

Just the SkyQ box. The TV remove volume buttons work as expected. It's very odd. It just started a few weeks back. It's very intermittent. Maybe does it once every few days. I thought I was going mad at first, but at-least one other person has the same!

I got a replacement remote from Sky but it's doing the same thing!

@DaleGreen wrote:

Hey @oldfella,
Thanks for the reply!
Just the SkyQ box. The TV remove volume buttons work as expected. It's very odd. It just started a few weeks back. It's very intermittent. Maybe does it once every few days. I thought I was going mad at first, but at-least one other person has the same!
I got a replacement remote from Sky but it's doing the same thing!

Hi @DaleGreen 

Certainly a bit strange.

Assuming the remote is Bluetooth with Microphone button and correctly paired then TV control for ON/OFF and Volume is purely by Infrared and works with Television directly and not through the Q box.

If the Q remote Volume Up control infrared is causing the Q box to switch off then this would suggest that this on the same infrared frequency as the Q Box ON/Off.

However if this was the case the Q box would turn off every time you changed the volume and not just occasionally.

Although thinking about it further it would only turn the Q box off if you did a short press on the Volume up button (less then 2.5 seconds).  If the Q box sees a longer press then this the Q box off standby would not recognise a longer press as this is used for Television control.

Normally the Q box remote when sending a On/Off signal to the Q box is using Bluetooth.  However it still recognises a Infrared signal.

If it is only a short press on the Q remote Vol up button does turn off the Q box then it should turn back on again with another short press..

If this is the case it could mean that the paired Q remote infrared is on the same frequency.

Regardless of all this is does point to a paring issue with the TV.

So I would suggestthe following .

With the Q box on with green led try completly resetting your Bluetooth remote.
Press and hold 7 & 9 together on the remote until it’s led flashes four times.
Then make sure that you are pointing your remote at the Q box and press 1 & 3 together until the remote led flashes and follow onscreen instructions to re- pair.

When selecting the Television brand don't use the model but use find it for me.   Then try the suggestions in the pairing set up.

To do this you would repeatedly try the  1 & 3 setting for each option that does change the volume.

From memory the options are numbered so after trying each option that alters the volume you need to check if you still have the same issue.  If you do,   try pairing the remote again and use then next suggested successful option.

A lot of Waffle above but hope you can make sense of it.

This message was authored by Rachelsg This message was authored by: Rachelsg

My box is doing exactly the same thing, but with volume down. It doesn't do it when I'm watching Sky TV but always does when I use apps such as YouTube, Netflix etc. Interested to know if there is a fix! 

DaleGreen
Topic Author

Thinking about it, I think mine is doing it only in apps too. I will try the steps above and get back to this post! It's just infrequent so not sure how ling that'll take!

This message was authored by westheaddavid This message was authored by: westheaddavid

Just the Q box.

Thanks

DaleGreen
Topic Author

@oldfella Tried the re-pair and still getting the issue. It's definitely when using apps. Had it back to back on Disney+ then on Netflix.

Hopefully this gets picked up. Is there a way to report suspected software bugs?

@DaleGreen wrote:

@oldfella Tried the re-pair and still getting the issue. It's definitely when using apps. Had it back to back on Disney+ then on Netflix.

Hopefully this gets picked up. Is there a way to report suspected software bugs?

Hi @DaleGreen 

Bugs wouldn't only affect just a few boxes.

If was a software issue it would affect literally millions of boxes.

When you tried the remote re pair did you just select the brand and then try and test all options for that brand

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion